SaltCritters.com

Chucktown BC 29 Mixed Reef

divecj5

Yeah, I think it is a variety of gracilaria Spanko. I think the closest that I could find was some sort of Hawaiin variety although I'm not sure how I would have gotten that :)

As long as it doesn't spread and start to take over, it's cool with me in the tank.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice to see your tank looking and doing good it looks awsome :)

Thanks bud....nothing too much going on new in there but it's still chugging along. Can't believe it's been over 7 months now.

Great update pics! Hard to tell you've been "distracted" at all!

I still love the way your 2 neon macros upstage everything else. Why did you get those and I got Bryopsis? (Nevermind! :lol: )

Jeez, that pup has haunting eyes! Are aussies the kind of herder that control sheep by giving them "the eye?" 'Cause it sure looks like it'd work on me... :D

7 months and all's well. Congrats!

--Diane

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I will be getting in my new bulb today, some new salt, Purigen, and Seagel. The bulb change has been long overdue and some nice algae has been enjoying itself as a result.

I ended up going with the XM 15k so I will see how that looks. I was thinking about trying out the 20K but just thought it might look a little too blue for me. I also picked up a MJ 900 so I can replace the POS Tom's Aqualifter pump that I have been using for the ATO since I was pretty much back to just topping off by hand.

Should have some pics up tomorrow depending if the FedEx guy is nice and decides to stop by today :)

Of course the order would have to come in two packages...and of course the bulb would be in the package that didn't come :) Looks like I should have it today or tomorrow.

Finally got in the new XM 15k bulb yesterday and I have to say that I am INCREDIBLY happy with the color of the bulb. It is not quite as blue as I thought it was going to be considering the bulb that came with the sunpod was 15k but had a lot more of the blue spectrum.

Overall though, I think it brings out a truer look to the corals and the fish look amazing under the new light. I would definitely recommend this bulb.

I should be able to snag some pics when the lights come on so hopefully I will post some up tomorrow.

Finally have some pictures to update the thread. Not a whole lot new with the tank at the time being. Just been trying to get rid of some algae here and there and I'm sure the new Chemipure, carbon, and more diligent water changes will help all of that.

Things have been doing pretty good. I need to get back to checking my parameters a little more often as I checked them yesterday and things were a little out of whack.

I'm not too sure how well I was able to match how the new light looks on the tank but I like the more natural and less blue look right now. On to the pics....

CRW_6772.jpg

CRW_6773.jpg

CRW_6774.jpg

CRW_6775.jpg

CRW_6777.jpg

CRW_6782.jpg

CRW_6780.jpg

CRW_6785.jpg

I'm still getting some really nice growth on the octospawn that Tudd sent me. This was TINY when I first got it.

CRW_6783.jpg

CRW_6784.jpg

And one obligatory puppy shot as well. This was after playing for about an hour at the dog park..needless to say she was wiped out of energy :)

CRW_6760.jpg

It is an octospawn frag that Tudd sent me about three months ago. He just scraped it off a larger colony that he had and said to see if I could make something out of it. It has been growing ever since.

Yeah, she loves the couch :) I wouldn't say it's her couch....well at least not to her. Don't want her to feel like she rules the roost.

:lol: Oh she no doubt rules the house....sometimes she gives us these looks like she is thinking "you idiots" Cracks us up sometimes.

ok a little off topic, but how the hell are you guys taking pictures like that? I take mine, and it all looks blue from the MH light. You can see all the colours and stuff perfectly on yours. How do you do it? What are the settings on the camera? Feel free to PM to avoid clutter in here.

A lot depends on the type of camera that you are using. Others that are using a point and shoot might be able to give you a better answer. I am using a Canon 300D SLR and I take all of my pictures in RAW format. Basically what this allows the user to do is alter the Kelvin temperature (white balance) in Photoshop or other image editing software. What this allows me to do is focus more on what I am trying to take a picture of and then I can try and replicate what my eye saw in photoshop. I basically just open the picture up, set the color temperature to 6,500 and that pretty much matches perfectly the MH bulb.

Now if only I had a really nice macro lens I would be in business :) Someday....I've already spent too much on my camera over the past three years of owning it. Luckily photographing a couple of weddings have helped pay for it.

Take a look at the Photography forum as well, I'm almost positive there are some great pointers there about getting good color representation in camera (ie without editing).

Tanks is looking nice...that pink gracilaria is the bomb!!

Just a reminder of what those frags looked liked originally

divesamples.jpg

Sweet to see all the growth and the morphing of colors under MH vs PC

Funny how we are about are about the same place in the cycle of our hobby in terms of how we are caring for out tanks. Guess we just need to get back to basics and stick to a tight WC schedule.

Nice update as always

Super pics as always! I esp. like the shrimp, and the little euphyllid with that pink macro. And the pup, of course! What a sweet expression!

nUgZ, thanks for posting the photo link. I didn't read much yet, but was amused to see it was associated with RC and had tips for resizing...Is it just me or is every other pic posted there too big for one's monitor?

--Diane

Just a reminder of what those frags looked liked originally

Sweet to see all the growth and the morphing of colors under MH vs PC

Funny how we are about are about the same place in the cycle of our hobby in terms of how we are caring for out tanks. Guess we just need to get back to basics and stick to a tight WC schedule.

Thanks bud. I didn't realize that I guess I've gotten a lot more growth on the frags than I thought. I hadn't looked back on a pic when I first got them. They have morphed slightly under the halides especially the ones that started a dark purple color. Now they are developing a nice red ring in the inside.

I agree, we are definitely at about the same point with things with the tank. Gotta get back to doing those regular water changes. Some people don't really make that much of regular water changes but I think they are crucial to the overall health of the tank. It would be like if someone left you in your house/apt. and didn't allow you to clean for about two weeks...that includes flushing the toilet :o

Super pics as always! I esp. like the shrimp, and the little euphyllid with that pink macro. And the pup, of course! What a sweet expression!

nUgZ, thanks for posting the photo link. I didn't read much yet, but was amused to see it was associated with RC and had tips for resizing...Is it just me or is every other pic posted there too big for one's monitor?

--Diane

Thanks Diane....sometimes I try and take the time to frame an image, like the shrimp, and other times is more of just a documentary style shot.

Thanks Nugz for posting the link. I've gone to that site before but a long time ago now. Always good to get a little refresher here and there.

I agree that it's funny that the photography site references RC but about 75% of the pics over there require you to scroll across the screen.

No problem guys/gals. I'm not trying to promote RC or anything I promise... :eek: I think you would see the same thing happen here if the pics weren't automatically resized.

I agree...I think that resizing images is kind of a hard concept for people to grasp. I know that I sometimes have a hard time since sometimes I get a little crazy with the crop tool :)

It is a great feature of the forum that it resizes pictures automatically.

Archived