SaltCritters.com

5g ADA Rimless - 24 Months in

dapellegrini

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dapellegrini
Super micro macros, Dan! How are you taking them?

Thanks - I am playing around with my wife's new little Canon Elyph SD 870IS - only sort of figured out the auto modes so far, but it seems to be a lot better than my old Sony.

the duster on your hc looks like a Spirorbid to me.

Thanks for that - one more thing to read up on - if possible. Very cool.

How long have you had the orange monti in there now?

Must be something over 2 months now. I took some shots the other day, but they didn't really turn out. Here one of them anyways:

IMG_0214.JPG

Thanks everyone for looking.

clownfishlover

Hi

Those are some of the most beautiful plant tanks I see.

Is there a forum where I can learn about creating one? such as a 5 gallon ada tank

thanks

Thanks - I am playing around with my wife's new little Canon Elyph SD 870IS - only sort of figured out the auto modes so far, but it seems to be a lot better than my old Sony.

Thanks for that - one more thing to read up on - if possible. Very cool.

Must be something over 2 months now. I took some shots the other day, but they didn't really turn out. Here one of them anyways:

IMG_0214.JPG

Thanks everyone for looking.

Great FW tanks. I absolutely love that kind of Amano-style tanks (maybe even better than his). That's why I got into keeping tanks in the first place.

One Question. What service are you using to host your pictures? I can't see any of them past the first page and I suspect my firewall is filtering them out or forbidding connections from your picture hosting service.

Thank you.

dapellegrini

Thanks

I am using a personal website as my image server and am just now in the process of switching hosts. Images should be coming from publiclogic.com if you need to allow that in your firewall setup. Try hitting F5 and see if you can't see them now...

every now and then my photo server craps out. should be ok again.

thanks for looking everyone

Ahh, I didn't see this post. Now I get it, and I can also see all the pictures. Thanks and sorry for a redundant question.

Some shots of the surviving Sexy Shrimp - s/he seems to be leaving things alone (when he's not walking on them)- so he might be around for a little longer:

IMG_0516.JPG

IMG_0514.JPG

IMG_0515.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

As for the macro algae ---

This Sargassum seems to be pretty hard to kill - I have already chopped him out twice, but he just grows right back

IMG_0526.JPG

I get lots of little pieces of Halimeda growing, but they seem to stunt and die back, not sure why. ???

IMG_0538.JPG

IMG_0539.JPG

And then my unidentified reds - my big one is getting kind of whitish/pale tips, not sure if that is a good thing or not.

IMG_0574.JPG

The others that just kind of showed up one day are a little dirty from the water change (mixed up the sand a bit too much)... Any ideas on what these are? Red Gracilaria?

IMG_0555.JPG

IMG_0567.JPG

Couple of mixed in critter shots that I liked:

IMG_0576.JPG

IMG_0532.JPG

-- AND AFTER DARK --

One of the Pom Pom Crabs actually acted like he was NOT afraid of the camera tonight for the first time. This is the one that I was worried about. After his last molt he lost both of his anemones. I was happy to find him tonight with one healthy one! Not sure if he was able to salvage it or if he shared with the other...

Anyhow, these are all take after lights out without a flash, so the colors are a bit whacked, but you get the idea:

IMG_0642.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG

IMG_0657.JPG

IMG_0624.JPG

The Porcelain Crab has moved to the back of the aquarium - and has found his niche as a pre-filter for the powerhead:

IMG_0663.JPG

IMG_0670.JPG

IMG_0668.JPG

Drool! As always, I'm amazed by your tank.

What gorgeous red macros! Does the one look a little like this?:

http://www.saltcorner.com/sections/guest/a...Scomplanata.htm

I tried searching AlgaeBase images for that genus and got a few that looked similar, but I can't tell for sure...

I believe the pom pom in question is a she. :D Always fun to get a glimpse of these. And those are very cool porcelain shots. What an interesting place for it to take up residence!

So glad you still have the one sexy, as they're so photogenic--at least in your hands!

BTW, my pom pom, which I've now had for 2 years, has at various times had two lush, only one, two lush again, and (now) one lush and one diminished, anemones. IME the nems do better the more the crab itself is fed, but they seem to recover their hardiness and size again and again.

--Diane

haha, the porcelain crab knows the good spots for catching dinner.

would you be willing to sell some of that Sargassum? I am setting up a planted tank for seahorses.

Great tank.

Thanks everyone!

Diane - It does look like I have a Scinaia complanata and thanks for the comments on the sex of the Pom Pom!

kawzone - I am using Aqua Mend (from Home Depot) to glue the rocks together, but it is the the greatest.

noonan - sorry I gave it away - but if it grows back again, I might consider shipping it off to someone...

Been a very busy week - and in the flurry I ended up jumping in on a Reeftopia order with a friend at work. Thought I would try a Rock Anemone - as I have heard they stay small and may be a good host for my Sexy Shrimp. I also picked up a couple more macros that I thought might be interesting. Worst case, I would gift anything that doesn't work out to other locals with larger tanks.

The "Red Grape Caulerpa" came in SUPER dirty and I ended up giving most of it away to another hobbyist. It is horribly placed right now, but I hope it will grow in a bit and that some of my critters will help clean it up. It seems to be dying back...

IMG_0845.JPG

and these "Shaving Brush Plants" are kinda like little trees from a Dr. Seuss book. I have no idea how they propagate, but I kinda like 'em.

IMG_0862.JPG

IMG_0840.JPG

The Rock Anemone (Epicystis crucifer) arrived A LOT BIGGER than I was expecting. He must be at least 3-inches in diameter. It was a bit awkward getting him where I wanted him, but I think his new home is an ideal spot where he doesn't stick out too much and is still quite visible. In such a small tank, he seems very large. I am not sure if he is completely settled an happy just yet (been only 24-hours)

IMG_0838.JPG

IMG_0866.JPG

IMG_0865.JPG

IMG_0839.JPG

And a couple of parting FTS - with that ugly red macro kinda throwing things out of balance for the time being:

IMG_0858.JPG

IMG_0854.JPG

A few after dark shots of the Sexy Shrimp exploring the new Anemone.

Accidental with Flash came out better than I expected:

IMG_0877.JPG

The rest are a bit more blurry

IMG_0891.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

IMG_0894.JPG

IMG_0899.JPG

interestingly - when I feed the nem (frozen mysis) s/he has a pocket that swells around the mouth - kinda cool:

IMG_0990.JPG

My little sponge is also now rubbing up a bit against the nem - not sire if that is a good thing or a bad thing:

IMG_0999.JPG

But I guess time will tell.

The nem has worked out quite well for the sexy shrimp, but i am wondering if a mini carpet wouldn't be a better choice... ???

any idea where i can find a mini carpet? and if the sexy shrimp will take to it as well?

Wonderful pics! I love that nem, and your shrimp sure took to it. Also love your fts's with the shaving brushes--so different from all the other tanks. Great selections.

--Diane

I swear I saw a post from Adin about splitting Mini Carpets... At this point I am just wondering where one goes to get one...

Archived