Innovative Marine Aquariums

5g ADA Rimless - 24 Months in

dapellegrini

dapellegrini

Thanks - I read somewhere that this Goby is a jumper - and if true, it would feel kinda like putting $40 through my shredder :(

Last time I had Bam Bams they all got killed... I think I need another fish or two to destroy them. Mine GBGs both jumped over time :(

I will have to see what is available locally.

I also feed pellets for my Fire Shrimp, but it hasn't helped the 'pod problem. Half of my Zoa/Paly types seem to be immune to 'pod grazing while the other half (especially the 'People Eater' types) are at their mercy.

The 'Circus Goby', (Priolepis nocturnus) is a small goby and should do fine in your small tank. More info.:

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/blennygob...ackbarredgo.htm

http://www.themarinecenter.com/fish/gobies/circusgoby/

I'm trying to locate one myself since my favorite LFS can't seem to get one in.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nano sapiens
Thanks - I read somewhere that this Goby is a jumper - and if true, it would feel kinda like putting $40 through my shredder :(

Last time I had Bam Bams they all got killed... I think I need another fish or two to destroy them. Mine GBGs both jumped over time :(

I will have to see what is available locally.

Hmmm, haven't read anything about the Circus Goby being a jumper. I know that it is nocturnal and stays close to rocks for protection, so I'm hoping that it isn't prone to a 'take off'.

dapellegrini

Well, I added 3 mini carpets the other day and as of last night I now have 6. No idea what might have caused them all to divide in unison. Strangely, 1 Pom Pom died and I think my Hermit Crab also (first thought he just shed, but now I think that was actually him).... Everything else seems happy and healthy. Did another water change just to be safe.

I am going to run the water line a littler lower and add a GBG again to see if I can't get my pod population under control.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the flash shots with the nem splitting :)

So how do the gorgs grow over the past 2 years? I've been thinking about adding some photosynthetic gorgs, just wondering what your experiences are with these long term?

The gorgonias do not grow quickly, but they seem to be very tolerant / easy to keep. I really like the purple on. Mine are both photosynthetic....

• 1 month later...

Amazing job!

Sorry if you already posted this, but could a few pics of the tank from the side? I am thinking also about getting a Mini M and was curious how the proportions looked in person and what the depth/width was like.

Keep up the good work!

Very cool to see this tank still thriving. Planning on starting a small tank to travel with me when I transfer away to another college.

I love how clean you've kept it.

Other than going with a similarly dimensioned drilled tank, what, if anything would you have done differently?

Amazing job!

Sorry if you already posted this, but could a few pics of the tank from the side? I am thinking also about getting a Mini M and was curious how the proportions looked in person and what the depth/width was like.

Keep up the good work!

Not sure exactly, what you are looking for, but here are some photos from about 5 minutes ago, looking more at the tank than what is in it...

Tank_Pics%20002.JPG

Tank_Pics%20005.JPG

Tank_Pics%20007.JPG

Tank_Pics%20008.JPG

Tank_Pics%20010.JPG

Tank_Pics%20011.JPG

Tank_Pics%20012.JPG

Very cool to see this tank still thriving. Planning on starting a small tank to travel with me when I transfer away to another college.

I love how clean you've kept it.

Other than going with a similarly dimensioned drilled tank, what, if anything would you have done differently?

Hmmm.... At this point, if I was to do it again, I might consider drilling it or doing an overflow of some sort. Keeping it clean is quite the chore, but still rewarding. The only thing I don't like about the tank is the wires that go in for the heater and the temp probe. I have thought about trying to find some sort of a warming base to set the tank on - to remove the final wires. Not sure if such a thing exists though - I am imagining like a mini heating pad with a temp control on it.

Oh, I would also set a few of the rocks A LITTLE farther from the glass - I have a tough time cleaning some areas of the tank without damaging the coral...

I have thought about trying to find some sort of a warming base to set the tank on - to remove the final wires. Not sure if such a thing exists though - I am imagining like a mini heating pad with a temp control on it.

Nice tank. I just read through all the posts.

There are heating pads for people who keep reptiles as pets. I think Zoo Med makes one. It's essentially a heating pad that you stick to the underside of the tank. On the ones I've seen, there is no temperature control; it's either on or off.

Nice tank. I just read through all the posts.

There are heating pads for people who keep reptiles as pets. I think Zoo Med makes one. It's essentially a heating pad that you stick to the underside of the tank. On the ones I've seen, there is no temperature control; it's either on or off.

I have seen those. The problem is controlling the temp without having put another wire in the tank... not really sure it is possible.

So I really didnt read all those pages but I see you have all natural filtration how is that working for you what kind of upkeep and you have any problems yet and scare's? I think it is beautifull and what bulb is that in the fixture a 14k or 20k.

So I really didnt read all those pages but I see you have all natural filtration how is that working for you what kind of upkeep and you have any problems yet and scare's? I think it is beautifull and what bulb is that in the fixture a 14k or 20k.

Natural filtration is working out fine - just requires lots of water changes. If you keep the glass clean every few days, you really only need to change the water once every other week or so. Only 1 scare in 26+ months - when I changed the lighting from 5hr/day to 7hrs a day all the SPS bleached out and I thought I killed them. It ended well though.

Current lighting is a Aqualine 20k + 2x Actinic LEDs

• 1 month later...

So what is the record anyways for running a rimless nano with no filter? I have to admit I am getting a little sick of maintaining this tank, but it seems that I somehow find more steam just when I think I have had enough.

I will have to go back and check the post dates in this thread, but I think I am 28+ months in...

Archived