Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

5g ADA Rimless - 24 Months in

dapellegrini

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya - let's see... I removed the sponge with the zoanthid colony - it looked like parts of it were suffering from too much light - bummer, but after it was out my Cyano problem went away. The other sponge is now in the back, under some rocks where it seems to be doing much better. The orange gorgonia now occupies that spot.

Otherwise everything is just growing bigger and/or splitting. I shuffled some things around - I should have some new pictures in the next few day - will post up when I have a chance.

• 2 weeks later...

Tanks has been a mess lately, but here are some photos anyways.. Not much new really.

My Xenia is just starting to spread faster than I would like...

IMG_7498.JPG

Not sure if it will bother these zoos or not, but so far they seem to be happy with the new shadier spot

IMG_7506.JPG

This interesting yellow sponge is also doing very well:

IMG_7500.JPG

And after a bout with Cyano (still have some) this other small sponge is turning around and seems happy again.

IMG_7505.JPG

The orange monti cap is getting out of control:

IMG_7551.JPG

and the little piece I put over here continues to get bigger:

IMG_7619.JPG

The M. Confusa is finally starting to spread:

IMG_7620.JPG

And this macro has decided to take over in the back of the my tank:

IMG_7531.JPG

and a FTS:

IMG_7614.JPG

Hey , Dan sweet as it has been. I was glad to see you receive totm. well deserved. My question is what is your dosing regiment? I am currently growing some sps in a 3 gallon tank with mh lighting and I seem to be having to dose quite a bit. With the size of your cap and the various other sps you have, have you noticed an in crease in alk and calc consumption with growth? What is your schedule? I.e. what do you use. I am curently using a 2 part solution , but thinking of other options when I am out. Tia for your help

Matt

Last I tested, the tank burns through about 18-25ppm of Alk and 10-15ppm of Ca every day. I started with Bi-Ionic and am now trying SEA-LAB No. 28 + infrequent Alk dosing. I tend to forget dosing etc, but the tank seems to be forgiving enough provided I keep water changes to at least once a week.

• 1 month later...

Thanks - not a lot has changed in the last month or so - though I did just order a 20k Aqualine to replace a piece of junk DE bulb I got off of E-bay... I am hoping that works out - and will probably have more pictures then.

I am also considering swapping out my magnetic Aqua Medic ballast for an electronic... perhaps I should start a different thread on that, but a few questions for anyone knowledgeable wander around this deep in my tank thread:

- Looks like my options are an Advance 70w Ballast or an IceCap (the Advance is $20 cheaper, which makes me think I should go with the IceCap - but I really don't know anything about them) - advice welcome

- Also, the dimensions seem to suggest that this would fit in my current AquaMedic Ballast enclosure - has anyone else done this? Looks like a wiring job will be in order?

Thanks for the props. The tank is finally getting to the point where some coral is starting to encroach on others - My Monti Confusa has killed a couple branches of green birds nest and my Monti Cap looks like it is about to hit my Acro.... The Xenia is starting to spread all over - will need some maintenance, as is the GSP...

DSC08872.JPG

What light is this?

And the planted tanks are awesome BTW - very clean, beautifully aquascaped. You certainly have an eye for putting together a terrific visual in your aquaria.

Keith

Sometimes I wonder if you SW folks have any kind of a clue about how much work a high-tech FW tank can be. This little nano is pretty low maintenance in comparison. But you definitely have to keep up with it to keep it pretty :)

I had a reef tank before I did a planted tank w/CO2, fertalizers and such and I would agree - the plants are tougher to keep up with, the maintenance is pretty continuous - when those plants are growing there is constant pruning and tweaking to be done. But - since I like to fiddle with my tanks - that suits me fine. I just got rid of my 40 gallon planted tank and put in a 65 - I think the height is going to be a challenge.

Keith

kgbenson - that is a 4x 24w Tek light

-----------------------

Thanks for the feedback - I did a little more research and settled on an IceCap Electronic Ballast (as suggested). 5 days and $100 later with new Ballast in hand it was "go time". The idea was to get the new ballast in the old fixture. So here it is:

IMG_8405.JPG

you can kinda see the magnetic beast through the grill:

IMG_8403.JPG

There were quite a few screws to remove on the case and I was not impressed with the quality of screw holes... more like a cheap chinese job:

IMG_8465.JPG

IMG_8462.JPG

[sigh].... still workable though, so on we go.

This thing is pretty big and heavy:

IMG_8411.JPG

out it comes:

IMG_8414.JPG

IMG_8416.JPG

Ok, next problem is that the screw holes in the bottom of the casing weren't going to line up with the new ballast, so a quick drill job and the new ballast had a good solid seating:

IMG_8418.JPG

IMG_8419.JPG

IMG_8420.JPG

IMG_8421.JPG

IMG_8422.JPG

I had a little hesitation about the wiring (didn't want to ruin anything)... some quick research and online advice and I think I have it all straightened out. The power comes in to the fixture, through a switch and in to the ballast (simple, white-to-white, black-to-black) - then the wires come out of the ballast as red and blue, BUT the wires up to the lamp were red and white.... apparently it does not matter which way you do it, so I went red-to-red and blue-to-white. Quick test - it works, so I am guessing it all right now.

I was put off by the electronic buzz it made while lighting off, but that only lasted a few seconds and the thing went dead silent. I will observe for a few days before I make any final judgements, but so far, so good.

Here it is ready to close up:

IMG_8455.JPG

and next to the old ballast:

IMG_8457.JPG

all closed up, and this thing is noticably lighter. I will be curious to see how much heat it puts off.

IMG_8475.JPG

IMG_8476.JPG

I also just swapped out my 10k Aqualine for a 20k from the same company - Not sure if I like it yet, I am going to let the color burn in a bit. More pictures soon (probabaly)

Just caught one of my tiny white starfish crawling around in a conspicuous place...

IMG_8502.JPG

IMG_8503.JPG

IMG_8504.JPG

IMG_8507.JPG

IMG_8508.JPG

IMG_8509.JPG

IMG_8510.JPG

IMG_8511.JPG

IMG_8512.JPG

IMG_8513.JPG

IMG_8514.JPG

IMG_8516.JPG

IMG_8517.JPG

IMG_8518.JPG

IMG_8519.JPG

IMG_8520.JPG

IMG_8521.JPG

The 20k light is significantly dimmer than my Aqualine 10k or 13k or whatever it was... but then the 14k's I have had in the past were too. It does seem to have a better color spectrum than the last couple of blue lights I have had though, so we will see how the corals do and what it looks like after a week or so of burn in...

Now I am thinking perhaps I should upgrade to a 150w and just raise it up higher over the tank.... hmmmm... that would perhaps bring new meaning to overkill....

• 3 weeks later...

I'll agree. You have an amazing tank that I can only hope to achieve one day. You are now my "idol" tank. Hahaha.

Any new updates on your tank?

• 1 month later...

Great looking tank. The diy LED mod on your pendent looks sweet along with the entire get up. Been following since your Hanging a Tek Light post on azaquaticplants. Thanks for all the tips. Good stuff.

• 1 month later...
dapellegrini

Thanks for all of the compliments.

Work and family life has forced the hobby into the background a little bit for the last several months. The tank is still doing pretty well, despite quite a bit of neglect. I hope to receive a new Vortech MP-10 next week (I heard somewhere that they started shipping yesterday - ordered mine last week), which will be the kick in the pants I need to clean the tank up and get it this thread updated.

I can't wait to see how much water I can put on the floor with this thing :)

Archived