Cultivated Reef

5g ADA Rimless - 24 Months in

dapellegrini

Very nice new additions with the SPS. I really like the coloration on the Tenius and the Confusa looks super healthy as well.

Where did you end up placing the Tenius? Couldn't really pick it out amongst all the other colors and corals in the full tank shot.

I'm sure the Purigen will help to remove some of the cyano but how is the flow overall in the tank? I'm sure you know but it's usually caused by either a lack of flow in a certain area or an excess amount of nutrients. I would think in your case, since you do really frequent water changes, it is more of a flow issue than anything else. Just surmising though...

Those blind shots are really cool as well. Although the mini nems weren't found, it looks like you have quite the biodiversity in your tank....loads of sponges and feather dusters.

Thanks for sharing the pics....keep things updated on the cyano and the new frags.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dapellegrini

I have had a little Cyano ever since I was out of town for a week in June and a friend was watching over and feeding the tank. He thought I was exaggerating how TINY the feeding quantities needed to be and overfeed the tank. Since then I have added the sponges, Gorgonia, and the newest SPS... So I am thinking that I am experiencing a mini-cycle of sorts... Oh, I also recently added about 1/4lb of more Caribbean live sand to reseed a little... So all of that together most like explains the cyano (or at least I hope so).

The flow is pretty good, I think the Rio 180 does about 120GPH, in a 5g tank that is a 24x turn over and there are not many low flow areas. The cyano actually seems to get stuck on macros that in high flow areas, adding to my thought that I am experiencing a mini cycle. Anyways, I will let you all know how it goes with the Purigen in there.

The Tenuis is to the right of the orange Montipora and left of the new green Monti - it is really hard to make out in those last Full-Tank shots as it blends really well with the coralline.

dapellegrini

Thx. - That is his/her favorite spot now-a-days. Porcelain crabs are awesome - I think if I had a larger tank I would have a horde of them.

Haha, yeah, I love mine too. He sits next to the AC filter intake and rests his fans against it.... letting the flow do all the work.

• 2 weeks later...

dude, your tank has always amaze me. looking to and forth your thread never tires me! heh :D but I am sorry to know that you are hit with cyano.

My personal solutions will be perhaps you step up your frequency of your water changes? Adding of new corals etc has an effect on the overall nutrients present in your tank. So I guess this is her way of telling you "Dude! I need a change!" (:

anyway cheers dude, I am sticking with your thread! :D

MOD: AQUA MEDIC 70W MH PENDANT - PART 1

---------------------------------------------------

I stumbled on these little 455nm LEDs the other day and decided to buy one to see if I could make this work with my pendant.

ic_ml-2.jpg

Initially I was hoping that one of these would supplement enough blue back into my tank to switch back to a 10k MH bulb, but I don't think that is going to work out (my 14k AstraLux needs replacing - I am using my original AB 10k for now, but will probably need to find something else for better color). I have a second one in the mail and should know for sure this coming week when I complete this small project. If not, they will make pretty cool little moon lights.

So I ran down to the local hardware store and picked up a few small things to get started:

IMG_5982.JPG

Here is the light:

IMG_5985.JPG

and the now severed power supply:

IMG_5986.JPG

First step was to mark out and drill some holes - you can see I got it backwards the first time, but finally figured it out:

IMG_6015.JPG

IMG_6017.JPG

IMG_6020.JPG

Pretty simple actually - here it is mounted on the plate:

IMG_6021.JPG

I will be mounting another one on the other side of the light, but here is an idea of how they will work on the fixture itself:

IMG_6027.JPG

IMG_6032.JPG

IMG_6033.JPG

The plan is to route all of the wires out the other side, basically making a second power cord just above the existing one. I am planning on using some wire sheath to run them all down one tube and a rubber grommet to make a clean exit from the fixture.

...More when the I get the 2nd LED.

Finally got the second light and finished the project tonight.

It took me a while to find the ideal wire sheath - I end up going with a 5x sprinkler wire. Pulled the wires out and then fished my wires through:

IMG_6092.JPG

IMG_6093.JPG

In short order I had both the lights installed and read to go. I used some heat-shrink tubing to keep the wires together and clean.

IMG_6095.JPG

IMG_6097.JPG

Next challenge was to create a clean exit point for the new set of wires... 1 grommet and a little bit of patient drilling...

IMG_6098.JPG

IMG_6099.JPG

Once I had the wires through I spliced the cut plugs back together and taped them up.

IMG_6100.JPG

IMG_6104.JPG

and voila

IMG_6108.JPG

IMG_6110.JPG

IMG_6111.JPG

These 2 LEDS do soften up the yellowish 10k bulb I have on there nicely AND they make for great night lights.

IMG_6113.JPG

IMG_6115.JPG

IMG_6126.JPG

More tank shots tomorrow, time permitting...

Wow Dan your tank is looking amazing! I love the aquascape and the coral placement. it all looks so natural and i love how you are able to have lots of corals without the tank looking like it's filled with a bunch of frags randomly placed, something I wish I could do! I also like the fact that it is rimless, I want an ada 60pm and can afford one but my favorite fish (yasha goby) that I have at the moment is prone to jumping.

Also, any chance you are looking for more macros? I have some nemastoma that I'd pretty much give away if you wanted any, if you do pm me.

If only companies offered such a well-made AIO pico like yours...

Thanks :) - But I think they would be too expensive to sell.

may I know how much it costs to get those IceCap LEDs?

The LEDs were not cheap... :mellow: $50 each on MarineDepot and couldn't find them for less elsewhere. The rest of the misc parts ran me about $10

Wow Dan your tank is looking amazing! I love the aquascape and the coral placement. it all looks so natural and i love how you are able to have lots of corals without the tank looking like it's filled with a bunch of frags randomly placed, something I wish I could do! I also like the fact that it is rimless, I want an ada 60pm and can afford one but my favorite fish (yasha goby) that I have at the moment is prone to jumping.

Also, any chance you are looking for more macros? I have some nemastoma that I'd pretty much give away if you wanted any, if you do pm me.

Thanks for the offer, but I am not currently needing any macros. If you keep your water line down about .75-inches I doubt you will have any jumpers with a 60-P. It is my desire to have the water filled all the way up that causes me problems... :(

The LEDs were not cheap... :mellow: $50 each on MarineDepot and couldn't find them for less elsewhere. The rest of the misc parts ran me about $10

ah! hm. okay. but compared to those industrial-made leds, what's your take on these from MDepot? Brighter?

marc jacobs :D

ah! hm. okay. but compared to those industrial-made leds, what's your take on these from MDepot? Brighter?

as far as I can tell the ones I got are the same as the PFO ones - extremely bright, almost blinding if you look directly at them.

Here are the ones I got:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~act...es~vendor~.html

and the PFO's:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~act...es~vendor~.html

I don't really have much else to compare them too - but they are the brightest LEDs I have seen.

Sickest pico ever. :)

Thx :)

Archived