inTank Media Baskets

--New Member-- With Questions

RC51 in SD

Hello everyone,

I've been following this site for a couple of weeks now trying to prepare for my 24G Aquapod. This is a great site that is very informative! Today I just received my first item, the LS. I read where the ratio should be 1lb. to each gallon. Will I be okay with 20lb of LS in my 24G AP?

absolutfailure

That should be fine.

You'll find that it's not an exact science, what might work for you, might not work for some. Most advice should be taken more as a guideline, than an exact and specific rule.

That should be fine.

You'll find that it's not an exact science, what might work for you, might not work for some. Most advice should be taken more as a guideline, than an exact and specific rule.

That's what I thought... I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the help! :D

IMO, the amount of LS is nowhere near as critical as the amount of LR. Some people don't use any LS and go Bare Bottom.

I was planning on 30.lbs of LV. That should be sufficient right?

Well i have to ask, you could mean Live Velcro I have seen some pretty crazy stuff on this site, people will try anything. I usually go 1lbs of LR to 1 gallon of water then add about 10-15% So you are 6 1bs over ,thats great. The more the better yet you can overstock it and over aquascape!

The more the better yet you can overstock it and over aquascape!

Overstock? Please don't overstock. I'm assuming Stevie doesn't really mean overstock but that with more LR, or LV, you increase your biological filtration and may be able to increase your bio-load over what you could with say 20lbs.

FWIW, I have 30lbs. in my AP24.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Okay, I have more questions... I keep hearing about refugiums? I did a search but really couldnt find the answer I was looking for. So what exactly is a refugium and whats its purpose/benefit? Also I hear alot about cheato in refugiums... Whats cheato and its purpose?

Sorry if these seem like stupid ideas, but I'm fairly new to saltwater tanks.

TIA

So what exactly is a refugium and whats its purpose/benefit? Also I hear alot about cheato in refugiums... Whats cheato and its purpose?
Essentially, a refugium is nothing more than a refuge from predation. It's purpose is to provide a safe haven for sessile invertebrates and other delicate species, as well as prevent the over-predation of desirable macroalgaes, tiny beneficial crustaceans, such as copepods and amphipods, or other things you may be cultivating.

Chaetomorpha Macroalgae helps export nutrients from the water column which can contribute to undesirable algae blooms. Chaeto doesn't reproduce sexually, it isn't invasive and hard to remove, and it isn't highly toxic. It also grows quickly. All these factors make it a popular addition to the reef aquarium. If you have a refugium, that's usually the most desirable place to put it since it does grow quickly.

Archived