ClaireFB

Tiny six legged starfish

ClaireFB

Nine days after putting live rock into my new 12g Nano-cube DX I've just seen a tiny starfish winding round the heater cover. It is about 1 inch in diameter, with six brown and white horrizontal striped legs, and a white six pointed star shaped body. can anyone help me to identify this little critter. I'm worried about its' suitability in a reef like mine, and wonder if it might grow too big. Any help would be great. Many thanks. :)

Scott Riemer

You're description has me confused. But, off hand I'm thinking Asterina. Go HERE<<LINK and see if I might be correct.

ClaireFB
You're description has me confused. But, off hand I'm thinking Asterina. Go HERE<<LINK and see if I might be correct.

My hitch hiker is the same shape as a serpent star but the central body is a plain white six pointed star shape. Also the legs have lots more stripes. Any ideas?

Scott Riemer
It is about 1 inch in diameter, with six brown and white horrizontal striped legs, and a white six pointed star shaped body.

Could be a brittle star but that should only have 5 legs, not 6.

Edited by Scott Riemer

c est ma

Many of my brittle stars have 6 legs. I was told that this is common when they lose legs to asexual reproduction. (Thus, the combination of long & short legs on one individual.) But I have seen individuals with 6 equally long legs as well...

I believe there are photos of all "leg combinations" in this thread of mine:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=131093&hl=

--Diane