Top Shelf Aquatics

Atomic's Aquapod 24g & Biocube 14g Thread

Atomic081

Im currently waiting for my new Aquapod 24g to be shipped, but for now i thought i would start my own thread and post daily pictures of my experience's as a beginning Reefer. I love how other people have kept there threads going even after months of having the tank.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ill start this off by posting pictures of the Tank Stand that i made. I looked at buying the Aquapod stand but it looked too flimsy so i decided to make my own. Its amazing what you can do with 3 2x6s, 1 2x4, 18 bolts, some left over plywood, some stain and polyurethane. I think i got a little under 30 dollars in the stand.

post-31104-1190411645_thumb.jpg

post-31104-1190411664_thumb.jpg

islandcreation
Ill start this off by posting pictures of the Tank Stand that i made. I looked at buying the Aquapod stand but it looked too flimsy so i decided to make my own. Its amazing what you can do with 3 2x6s, 1 2x4, 18 bolts, some left over plywood, some stain and polyurethane. I think i got a little under 30 dollars in the stand.

Wow, Nice DIY!

WOW that is a nice stand!! I hate mine... its that stupid knock down one from current.

I am going to have to look into making one as well.

did yours come with 2 fans or one?

as soon as the water looks good? someone didn't do there reading.....as soon as you have water to temp and the right SG add the LR...that will start your cycle

after THAT looks good, add your CUC

awesome stand btw

YA thats what i was talking about. I got premixed water from the LFS and i tested it to make sure everything was ok. I waited a few hours to see if my temp was constant and its had been at 77 for about 4 hours so i added my LR. Its turned out pretty well i think. i know a guy at the LFS so he gave me a deal on everything. how long should i wait until i add my CUC?? ill post some pics in a few min.

I did all my tests today and after 18 or so hours everything looks great. ive left just enough room to grow and im happy with the LR setup. The only questions i have now are about what lighting schedule should i be doing right now....and for the record what type of lighting schedule do most people use on a mature tank. Should i add my CUC yet. is to to early?

could my tank be starting its cycle already. when i tested it this morning the Ammonia was 0 and now its up to 1.0. There is also some hair alge starting to form and some white film about the size of a silver dollar starting to form on a spot of the LR.

my first signs of any real life in the tank. i think the second picture is of a starfish but it might be something else. all i know is that its moving around....its pretty cool. sorry ahead of time the pictures are bad. my GF has the good camera. im stuck with my old one.

post-31104-1190665282_thumb.jpg

post-31104-1190665310_thumb.jpg

quick questions....i think my Cycle is going right now but i dont know. the 2nd day i started my tank i had a small Ammonia spike from 0 to 1.0. now ive tested it today, almost day 4, and ive got a small Nitrate spike from 0 to 30 and a Nitrite spike from 0 to .5. Im not sure this is part of everything cycling but it looks like a mini cycle. would anyone agree or am i just being a noob and looking into everything to hard.

i got my algae bloom today. Im guessing this is a good thing correct. this means all my assumptions were correct and my tank is going through its cycle. can somone give me confermation on this and maybe answer any of my other questions?

So i went to the LFS and got a few of my CUC. i got a emerald crab, a turbo snail, 2 Nassarius Snails, and some hermit crab the guy at the LFS gave me for free. im going to wait a few days and ill probibly go get the rest of my CUC.

yea your tank is going through the cycle, once the Ammonia and Nitrite are 0 and the Nitrate is below 20ppm your set....hopefully you didn't add the CUC to soon.

as for the pics it looks like the first one is some sort of zoa and the second one is an asterina star. Not to shabby :)

also LOVE the rock work...its damn awesome.

if you want some more ideas, or maybe my thread can offer some help, you could check it out here: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=124983

if you have any questions about your tank, just ask...you'll always get an answer sooner or later

keep up the good work, and lets get some pics of that CUC :)

Your tank is off to a good start, but have patience. If I were you, I wouldn't add anything else at this point. I know it's very tempting but you'll be better off in the long run. Wait til your tank cycles completely, then I would even wait a couple more weeks before adding anything else. Once you do start to add more livestock, do it gradually. Every time you add something new your tank has to adjust to the new addition. If you add to much all at once you could (most likely will) run into alot of problems, especially in a tank that hasn't matured.

If I were you, I would use this time to look into all the mods you can do to this tank. I highly recommend the fuge mod, and definitely switch out the stock pump for one that puts out less heat (maxijet), or if you don't mind the look of them the Koralia's seem pretty sweet.

How is the temp in your tank? When I first set up my AP I had crazy temp swings, it would go from 78 in the morning to about 84 in the evening when the lights turned off.

ya ive been running them for about 8-10 hours a day. ive not had any problems yet. i keep my house cold though. Ill get some new pics up tomorrow for everyone to see...its really starting to shape up.

Picture time. just new pics my tank and the algae bloom. i would take a picture of my emerald crab but he is hiding until nighttime. I love my LR setup right now. I think i got some Marshall Islands rock in the top right corner so if I ever do get another piece of LR in the future ill just put it in the top right and place the Marshall Islands rock up top. I was thinking about doing a water change on monday...it this too early or too late.

post-31104-1190937783_thumb.jpg

post-31104-1190937801_thumb.jpg

post-31104-1190937810_thumb.jpg

Archived