Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

sammy33's 28G Nano Cube HQI Thread

sammy33

bonsaidarrell

Hi Sammy,

Thanks for posting this great thread. I'm looking to get the same tank this winter.

Could you post a shot of what you have in the cabinet at this point? I'd just like to get an idea of how you set it up.

Thanks!

Darrell

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An update on my nano. My tank has been doing well. I have had some fair growth of my corals with some of my leathers starting to get almost too big for the tank. Here is the latest tank shot.

fts-12-08.jpg

I have switched salt mixes again and am now using H2Ocean Pro. This salt has done so well in my nano tank that I am also using it at home now. I have been able to keep very good levels of CA, Alk, Mg with just doing weekly water changes.

I have had good luck with only the one fish - a Tailspot Blenny. Since he is a herbivore he seems to be doing ok without feedings over the weekend (this is an office tank). There is always a bit of algae somewher for him to munch on. Algae in general does not grow aggressively in this tank with the exception of Valonia green bubble algae. I seem to be plagued with this stuff.

Adding more fish?

I am wanting to add another fish or two to the tank but I have a bit of a dilema. I would probably need to attach an auto-feeder to the tank to feed the fish over the weekends. Even with the extended back on the 28g nano making it easier to add-on equipment there is not anywehere that a standard auto feeder would work.

I had thought about trying to use a dosing pump on a timer to deliver a liquid feed of some sort. Standard tubing could be easily run through to the tank to drop the food in the display. I can use my RK2 to turn off the return pumps for a time after the food is dosed. This would give the fish time to feed before the food gets sucked in the filter. Maybe something like Brightwells Microvore feed for the food?

Hmm? :unsure:

2xgrandchampion

Hello Sammy, i have also been following your tank thread an think its absolutely remarkable. I ordered the same tank you have today and i'm completely new to saltwater so if you dont mind i will have a few questions about the tank as well to start off.. Oh yeah keep us updated with your tank because i love your set up

Tank looks great and very clean. I have same tank and also a tailspot blenny. I have 2 black aussie clowns, yellow watchman goby and sixline wrasse as well!

I am not an expert but I would think you would be fine feeding them Friday then not till Monday!

See what everyone else says but honestly, I think it be ok

Keep up good work and tank looks great

• 6 months later...

Hey sammy, great thread - thanks for your experiences.

I have recently set up my JBJ 28g HQI and am experieincing some temperature issues. Looks like I may need to get a controller and a fan to bring it down a few degrees.

Where is the best / cheapest place to get a ReefKeeper Lite

Thanks again for the help - may have sine questions for you in the future.

• 2 months later...

Is this tank still running. Most poeple take down thier tanks after a year or two. Will begod to see some updaed pics. Just read the whole thread from sart to finish. Very nice tank indeed.

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I have gotten a few PM's with questions about this aquarium so I wanted to give this thread one last re-visit. ;)

I took this tank down in May of last year and sold it to a good buddy who is still reefin' with it today. Most of the corals from this tank are still around and some will be making a re-apperance in my 12g Aquapod I recently started on. The Pink Panther Palys have gotten a bit bigger!

Final thoughts on the 28g Nano Cube HQI

This was a great tank overall. JBJ did a good job with the design on this tank and I was pleased with the performance of the stock 150w HQI ballast and the Radium 20K bulb. I did some upgrades to the accessory equipment and ended up with a pretty nice nano reef. Thanks for all the kind words and comments on this tank.

I am starting up a new nano and am going to try some LED lighting, doing more PAR measurements and some other new nano toys! Here is the new build thread: Sammy33's12g AquaPod for Nano Reef Withdrawals

Archived