ReefCleaners.org

sammy33's 28G Nano Cube HQI Thread

sammy33

I got my new Remora Protein Skimmer set up on my tank today. It took a bit of re-engineering (Dremel) of the removable filter basket but I have it set up now where everything on the back actually fits (ph probe, heater, temp probe, ATO switch, cooling fan, drip tube from ATO/kalk, etc.) with the skimmer in place. I had to cut off a section on the side of the filter box and a section off the door of the filter box to get the Maxi Jet 1200 pump to fit in the top of the middle chamber. This puts the Remora pump just inches from the overlfow intake. It also allows me to still use the filter basket and place Phoslock and carbon in the bottom two sections of the filter basket.

I could not test the new skimmer today because I had to mix some saltwater to fill up the skimmer. I will test it and get some pictures tommorow.

I also added my Koralia Nano back in to increase the flow a bit. The 350 GPH from the Rio HF 6 is not cutting it. The extra flow from the Koralia is very noticable in the tank. This gives me 615GPH now which is much better at about 21x turnover. The flow is dispersed enough off the Koralia Nano that I can likely add another one but I am concerned about heat and I just don't like how they look in the tank. I am adding the MJ 1200 @ 21 watts and the Koralia @ 3.5 watts so an extra 24.5 watts of continuous heating.

I think the flow increase and the heavier skimming will help this tank flourish. The SPS in this setup are doing fair with good growth and fair colors but lean toward the brown end of the color spectrum. :lol: I hope to see some improvements over the next month or two after these upgrades.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got my new Remora Protein Skimmer set up on my tank today. It took a bit of re-engineering (Dremel) of the removable filter basket but I have it set up now where everything on the back actually fits (ph probe, heater, temp probe, ATO switch, cooling fan, drip tube from ATO/kalk, etc.) with the skimmer in place. I had to cut off a section on the side of the filter box and a section off the door of the filter box to get the Maxi Jet 1200 pump to fit in the top of the middle chamber. This puts the Remora pump just inches from the overlfow intake. It also allows me to still use the filter basket and place Phoslock and carbon in the bottom two sections of the filter basket.

I could not test the new skimmer today because I had to mix some saltwater to fill up the skimmer. I will test it and get some pictures tommorow.

I also added my Koralia Nano back in to increase the flow a bit. The 350 GPH from the Rio HF 6 is not cutting it. The extra flow from the Koralia is very noticable in the tank. This gives me 615GPH now which is much better at about 21x turnover. The flow is dispersed enough off the Koralia Nano that I can likely add another one but I am concerned about heat and I just don't like how they look in the tank. I am adding the MJ 1200 @ 21 watts and the Koralia @ 3.5 watts so an extra 24.5 watts of continuous heating.

I think the flow increase and the heavier skimming will help this tank flourish. The SPS in this setup are doing fair with good growth and fair colors but lean toward the brown end of the color spectrum. :lol: I hope to see some improvements over the next month or two after these upgrades.

Hey,

I've been thinking about the remora skimmer also after dealing with this airstone issue. Which remora skimmer did you get? the remora nano or the regular remora? Did you get the one with the drain fitting? http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~ACRDM.html

sorry, I'm kind of a novice with skimmers.

Keep everyone updated on the flow. I ended up ditching my wavemaker because of the fluctuations in water level in the sump, wanting to run both MJ1200's at once. I also run a koralia nano for mostly SPS. SPS health is pretty good so far. Growth is good, colors are decent. However, my tank's only been setup for 2 months. I always go back and forth on having more linear flow vs more turbulent flow. If I could have both, that would be ideal.

thanks,

I'm really liking this thread because it is full of great ideas. The wife ordered me a JBJ 28 HQI today and I can't wait to get it setup. I plan on purchasing the Tunze Osmolator for top off and am currently looking for a RODI unit if anyone has a spare for sale. I will probably buy the Tunze Kalk stirrer in the near future as well.

Sammy, can we get a FTS with the stand open so I can see all of your gadgets?

I finished the install on my new AquaC Remora protein skimmer today. It only took about a half gallon of water to fill the skimmer so I had enough water left to do a small water change. ;)

back-shot.jpg

This is my second AquaC Remora and I do like these skimmers. This is a new style cap on the collection cup on the Remora and it fits much better than the old style. I also stuck a filter bag over the output in hopes of reducing micro-bubbles from entering the tank...didn't work. :huh: I got microbubbles.

back-shot-2.jpg

This is the other side with everything re-arranged to fit. Stock skimmer is gone so I can actually raise the hood now without taking anything off the tank.

back-shot-3.jpg

You can kinda see where I trimmed the "door" on the fiter basket. This allowed the MJ1200 to fit the depth no problem but the wall of the filter basket was restricting the pump intake. So I also cut a big slot on the side of the filter basket for the MJ1200 pump intake to flow more freely. This kinda alters the flow through the media in bottom of the filter basket so I will need to pack media a bit more loose to insure the water can pass.

I got nothing for skimmate today as the Remora is brand new. My last one took about a week to break-in before it started skimming. I did a rinse in hot water, then cold water and then stuck it on the tank.

So that is the update on the gadgets side of the reef...next is the reef itself. ;)

Hey,

Which remora skimmer did you get? the remora nano or the regular remora? Did you get the one with the drain fitting?

Keep everyone updated on the flow. I ended up ditching my wavemaker because of the fluctuations in water level in the sump, wanting to run both MJ1200's at once.

I got the standard Remora. I also have the Urchin which is the in-sump version for my frag tank. These are pretty decent skimmers. They are rated for up to 75 gallons but work great on a 28g tank.

The flow now that I added the Koralia is great. I have my two return pumps running off the wave timer on the RK2. The Ocean Pulse wavemaker that came with the cube is pretty good. The only problem I had with it is that after a power up the unit defaults to having both pumps on. This pumps a lot more water into the tank and drops the level in the back which plays havoc on the tank if you have an ATO. JBJ is supposedly going to fix this (from a previous email reply) but I have not followed up. I would run the Ocean Pulse without worry after they fix the power up to default to normal.

Looking good.

I added the Remora to this same tank. My microbubbles stopped after about 2 weeks. Although, I still get them for a few hours after a water change, or when I take the skimmer out for cleaning.

Nice tank! Love the zoa garden.

Thanks! I still have a few more color morphs I plan to add from my frag tank at home. I am going to add about 8-10 new corals from my frag tank but I have to treat the frag system for flatworms. I will also probably have to treat the 28g nano for flatworms as well. I have seen a few in the nano already! :huh:

Looking good.

I added the Remora to this same tank. My microbubbles stopped after about 2 weeks. Although, I still get them for a few hours after a water change, or when I take the skimmer out for cleaning.

I was suprised to see that my foam has started to build in my collection cup already. It only took a couple days to start foaming a nasty "ocean smegma". There was about a 1/4" of dark tea color skimmate in the collection cup. This used to take about 3-4 days with the stock skimmer. I can't wait until the Remora completely breaks in as it seems like it will do well. :happy:

I also noticed minimal micro bubbles in the tank compared to when I first installed the Remora. The bubbles are still in the tank but but are smaller and fewer. The water is fairly clear otherwise. The filter bag mesh is pretty small but it is very thin so it only blocks some bubbles. I think I may try some filter sock material to cut the bubbles. Maybe I can make 3 mini filter socks and rotate them out about 3 times a week for cleaning? :huh: Any other ideas to get rid of the micro-bubbles?

My configuration is a little different. I have the skimmer's pump in the skimmer chamber with the output going in the middle chamber running over the sponge in the top of the 'cage' this seems to help quite a bit. I have seen a Remora running with a piece of sponge stuffed into the output hole at an LFS to help stop microbubbles.

My skimmer was running very wet, but I just raised the cup this week as high as it will go and it seems to be doing better at producing a dryer darker skimmate. Of course, I only have one fish, 2 shrimp and a clean up crew. So my bioload is very low at this point.

Hey Sammy,

Any jump in temp after you added the AquaC? I'm real tempted about adding the AquaC skimmer. However, I'm just worried about the extra heat the MJ1200 will add.

Thanks,

Thanks! I still have a few more color morphs I plan to add from my frag tank at home. I am going to add about 8-10 new corals from my frag tank but I have to treat the frag system for flatworms. I will also probably have to treat the 28g nano for flatworms as well. I have seen a few in the nano already! :huh:

I was suprised to see that my foam has started to build in my collection cup already. It only took a couple days to start foaming a nasty "ocean smegma". There was about a 1/4" of dark tea color skimmate in the collection cup. This used to take about 3-4 days with the stock skimmer. I can't wait until the Remora completely breaks in as it seems like it will do well. :happy:

I also noticed minimal micro bubbles in the tank compared to when I first installed the Remora. The bubbles are still in the tank but but are smaller and fewer. The water is fairly clear otherwise. The filter bag mesh is pretty small but it is very thin so it only blocks some bubbles. I think I may try some filter sock material to cut the bubbles. Maybe I can make 3 mini filter socks and rotate them out about 3 times a week for cleaning? :huh: Any other ideas to get rid of the micro-bubbles?

Love you set up, wish i had the funds and knowledge for all the additions. Is it necessary to upgrade the protein skimmer? I'm just using the stock and after 3 days it is picking up approx. 1-2inch of nasty tea color water in the cup per a day. What is that green stuff in the cup as well? thanks

Hey Sammy,

Any jump in temp after you added the AquaC? I'm real tempted about adding the AquaC skimmer. However, I'm just worried about the extra heat the MJ1200 will add.

Thanks,

The temps seem to be holding at 79.5 - 80 F but I have noticed the fan on more often when the lights are running. I still want to add more flow somehow. I am going to maybe try one more Koralia Nano as they are only 3.5 watts. Not sure it will hold temps when summer hits? I have held off on adding any more lighting (pc actinic upgrade) for that very reason. Worst case scenario if the tank hits 81F the ReefKeeper2 will turn of the lights until it cools back down to 80. I am really hoping to avoid a chiller.

KoolSalt - You asked if it was necessary to upgrade the skimmer?

No, it is not necessary IMHO to upgrade the skimmer. I think if you find a good supply of the airwoods and change them every month it will work well for you. I would get the JBJ woods as the stock airwood was the best of the ones I tried. I would also play with the water levels and the pump speed to fine tune it.

I actually dropped my clamp that held my skimmer in the tank. I never got the thing out of the tank so the skimmer was always running fully submerged (wet skim). I think I could have tuned it in better had I fished the skimmer clamp out and had some patience to tweak it. ;)

However...I think if you are planning on keeping SPS you may have better success with a more robust skimmer. The stock skimmer is not bad and would work well for most reefs but requires a bit of extra maintenance and tweaking.

The temps seem to be holding at 79.5 - 80 F but I have noticed the fan on more often when the lights are running. I still want to add more flow somehow. I am going to maybe try one more Koralia Nano as they are only 3.5 watts. Not sure it will hold temps when summer hits? I have held off on adding any more lighting (pc actinic upgrade) for that very reason. Worst case scenario if the tank hits 81F the ReefKeeper2 will turn of the lights until it cools back down to 80. I am really hoping to avoid a chiller.

KoolSalt - You asked if it was necessary to upgrade the skimmer?

No, it is not necessary IMHO to upgrade the skimmer. I think if you find a good supply of the airwoods and change them every month it will work well for you. I would get the JBJ woods as the stock airwood was the best of the ones I tried. I would also play with the water levels and the pump speed to fine tune it.

I actually dropped my clamp that held my skimmer in the tank. I never got the thing out of the tank so the skimmer was always running fully submerged (wet skim). I think I could have tuned it in better had I fished the skimmer clamp out and had some patience to tweak it. ;)

However...I think if you are planning on keeping SPS you may have better success with a more robust skimmer. The stock skimmer is not bad and would work well for most reefs but requires a bit of extra maintenance and tweaking.

Hey Sammy,

Any plans on adding a refugium to the back? Where do you think you could fit it? I'm currently have my refugium in the middle chamber. However, if I add a Remora skimmer, I'd have to relocate the refugiuim. Probably where the current stock skimmer is supposed to sit?

Any issues with your ATO now that you have the Remora running?

Thanks,

Phu

I finished the install on my new AquaC Remora protein skimmer today. It only took about a half gallon of water to fill the skimmer so I had enough water left to do a small water change. ;)

back-shot.jpg

This is my second AquaC Remora and I do like these skimmers. This is a new style cap on the collection cup on the Remora and it fits much better than the old style. I also stuck a filter bag over the output in hopes of reducing micro-bubbles from entering the tank...didn't work. :huh: I got microbubbles.

back-shot-2.jpg

This is the other side with everything re-arranged to fit. Stock skimmer is gone so I can actually raise the hood now without taking anything off the tank.

back-shot-3.jpg

You can kinda see where I trimmed the "door" on the fiter basket. This allowed the MJ1200 to fit the depth no problem but the wall of the filter basket was restricting the pump intake. So I also cut a big slot on the side of the filter basket for the MJ1200 pump intake to flow more freely. This kinda alters the flow through the media in bottom of the filter basket so I will need to pack media a bit more loose to insure the water can pass.

I got nothing for skimmate today as the Remora is brand new. My last one took about a week to break-in before it started skimming. I did a rinse in hot water, then cold water and then stuck it on the tank.

So that is the update on the gadgets side of the reef...next is the reef itself. ;)

Hey Sammy,

I was looking at your ATO. What do you have your ATO attached to in the side chamber?

thanks,

Hey Sammy,

Any plans on adding a refugium to the back? Where do you think you could fit it? I'm currently have my refugium in the middle chamber. However, if I add a Remora skimmer, I'd have to relocate the refugiuim. Probably where the current stock skimmer is supposed to sit?

Any issues with your ATO now that you have the Remora running?

Thanks,

Phu

I don't know about a refugium on this setup. I am not wanting to give up any more of the middle chamber for any more equipment as I really like the stock filter basket. I am a big fan of carbon. Phoslock is not bad either.

If I did a refugium I would probably do something like a CPR Aquafuge hang-on type thingy. :huh:

The Remora does not seem to effect the ATO. I have not tried to power it off yet but everything seems to work well together. The Remora is really starting to pull some serious skimmate btw. B)

Hey Sammy,

I was looking at your ATO. What do you have your ATO attached to in the side chamber?

thanks,

It is pretty much just wedged in between the side and the output elbow. I used the short hang-on clip on the float switch and that keeps it tight. It is not clipped on to anything it just wedged in pretty good with the whole assembly pushed in and under the lip of the tank.

I don't know about a refugium on this setup. I am not wanting to give up any more of the middle chamber for any more equipment as I really like the stock filter basket. I am a big fan of carbon. Phoslock is not bad either.

If I did a refugium I would probably do something like a CPR Aquafuge hang-on type thingy. :huh:

Allright, I've taken the plunge. Your setup on the AquaC remora skimmer has convinced me to get one!! Thanks Sammy for starting this thread!

I was planning on putting the fuge in the chamber where the stock skimmer resides. I have an LED fuge light from nanotuners that velcros to the back of the tank. I think it would work. What do you think?

I was thinking about putting some rubble rock below the MJ1200 pump in the middle chamber. I figure the extra rock won't hurt for biofiltration. It also might help support the MJ1200 pump of the skimmer (not sure if it really needs it. I'll have to check out how it connects and fits once I get the skimmer).

Thanks for all of the info. You're tank is really nice and has given me a lot of ideas.

It is pretty much just wedged in between the side and the output elbow. I used the short hang-on clip on the float switch and that keeps it tight. It is not clipped on to anything it just wedged in pretty good with the whole assembly pushed in and under the lip of the tank.

Okay. I'll try that when I get it the skimmer setup. What about having the clip of the ATO attached to the side?

Thanks,

Flatworms :o

I have flatworms in my nano tank as well as my big reef at home and also my frag tanks. I treated the frag tanks this week and have gotten rid "all of the ones I can see" in that system. The next tank to get treated will be the 28g nano tank. I have a partial water change ready and fresh carbon so I am going to treat the tank tomorrow. The flatworm population is getting large enough that the corals are staying closed more than normal. The flatworms hang out on the zoanthid polyps and just stress them out. I have lost a few corals in the past because of flat worms so I'm gonna zap em now before it gets outa hand. fingerscrossed

I have treated several tanks with Flatworm exit with fair success. I wil try to get some pictures of the process and post the results.

I had a wicked infestation of flatworms in my 34 gallon Red Sea Max. I read some horror stories about losing all sorts of livestock after using FWE. I tried a six line and he didn't touch them but I recently got a yellow tailed damsel and even though I never saw him eat any flatworms they were gone in a few days. But if you've had luck with the FWE go for it. If it doesn't work try a damsel. Good luck. I feel your pain with flatworms!

great tank bud =D shame aboout the flatworms =(.... quik question about your controller... what were the probes called that you purchased for the temp/ph? anyways it looks great! nice job!

I was planning on putting the fuge in the chamber where the stock skimmer resides. I have an LED fuge light from nanotuners that velcros to the back of the tank. I think it would work. What do you think?

I was thinking about putting some rubble rock below the MJ1200 pump in the middle chamber. I figure the extra rock won't hurt for biofiltration.

Thanks for all of the info. You're tank is really nice and has given me a lot of ideas.

What about having the clip of the ATO attached to the side?

Thanks,

I don't know that the LED lights would be stong enough to keep the chaeto growing? I would really look into getting a hang-on refugium that is larger as the chamber fuges have had minimal benefit when I have used them in the past.

I would also consider staying away from using live rock rubble in a chamber as the potential for introducing nitrates would be higher. Small bits of rubble with water constantly flowing by will remove ammonia and nitrite quite well but will likely end up with nitrate as a by-product. You will need deeper anaerobic zones in larger peices of live rock or better yet a deep sand bed to truly de-nitrify.

I did not try the ATO clipped on the side. I am wondering if the clip is wide enough? The way I have works great though. Thank you for the compliments on the tank. :happy:

great tank bud =D shame aboout the flatworms =(.... quik question about your controller... what were the probes called that you purchased for the temp/ph? anyways it looks great! nice job!

The temp probe comes with the RK2 and I got the Milwaukee pH probe with the 7.0 calibration packets and the 10.0 calibration packets. Get some extra calibration packets as you will need to double check the calibration every couple months or so. Thank you for the kind words on the tank. :happy:

funny, i just added a remora to my NC28 this weekend. we have very similar setups. but I have a chiller and I'm going the ca reator route soon. I am using one of the stock Aceela return pumps to drive the skimmer. I know, its a 15% reduction in flow but should still cut the mustard. Produced some skimmate already but its too early to tell yet. Then I have my Via VA480 (200gph) sitting above the JBJ pump that is feeding the skimmer and this goes to the left locline. On the far right, the other JBJ Acella pump outputs to the chiller and the return goes out the right locline. All three pumps are on continously. This leaves the inner left compartment for heater probe, aquacontroller heater probe and ph probe, and the heater itself. The inner right compartment contains nothing. The middle compartment if a fuge with cheato and it lit from BEHIND (tank is in a corner). Oh yeah, my float for ATO is in the far right chamber and the output goes into the fuge middle chamber.

I also have a filterbag with carbon and phosphate remover in the inner left side and the skimmer output dumps right into the bag. bubbles are gone in the display now. also have a korialia #2. had a nonstream 6025 in addition but when i added fish it was too much flow so I sold the 6025.

oh yeah, nano tuners is coming out with a 250W retofit! can't wait!

sammy, does your neivuomet (sp) give you problems? Mine frequently can't turn over and it makes a loud racket. I've had the motor replaced once already. Aquamedic says to simmer the santoprene tube in hot water to soften it and assist the motor during a break-in period. what a pain in the butt for a $$$ product you know!!

sammy, does your neivuomet (sp) give you problems? Mine frequently can't turn over and it makes a loud racket. I've had the motor replaced once already. Aquamedic says to simmer the santoprene tube in hot water to soften it and assist the motor during a break-in period. what a pain in the butt for a $$$ product you know!!

I justed greased up the santoprene hose with the stuff that came with the pump. The sp3000 peristaltic has worked great so far with no problems. I also have one of the Reefdoser quads on my tank at home with four of these pumps and they all have worked great for almost a year now.

oh yeah, where did you get the fan you are running? Does it have its own probe or is it controlled by the RK2?

The fan is controlled by the RK2 cooling function set to come on at 80.1F. This cools the tank down below 80F and then turns off. I think I got it from ebay. B)

New Direction

I have decided after pondering for a couple days to move all of my leather corals from my tank at home to this tank. I am also going to take all of the SPS in this tank out and move them to my tank at home. I recently upgraded my lighting on my home reef and the SPS are doing better but I feel the large number of leathers and other soft corals in that system may be causing some issues. Leather corals have the capability to release allelopathic compounds into the water. These compounds are the corals way of fighting off competition for space on the reef. These compounds effect sensitive corals with SPS showing browning, slower growth and even tissue necrosis in some severe cases.

The other reason(s) is that having two SPS dominant reefs will be less satisfying than an SPS and an all softie reef IMHO. This swap may also allow me to tone down the Kalk reactor on my nano. I am already having problems with the daytime evaporation exceeding the rate at which the kalk is being dosed. The pH is just about pegged at 8.4 in the daytime. I may even take it off this tank to use a more simple 2 part doser. This may make more sense and have less impact on the pH. The 2 part will allow me to keep the pH in check (but lower) and dose a more natural balance of Calcium and Alkalinity. I just can't seem to get away from using 2 part (b-ionic).

I love the leather corals and I think they will look great in the nano. I had a couple in here before when I had the XM 20K lamp and they looked great. I think they will look even better under the 14K and probably grow faster. I tuned up my signature with some pics of the softies that are going back in and will get more pictures as soon as I get the corals settled in their new home. B)

Left to right in pic: Sinularia (Spaghetti Leather), Sarcophyton sp. (Toadstool), Capnella (Pineapple Tree), Sarcophyton elegans (Fiji Leather)

Archived