SaltCritters.com

sammy33's 28G Nano Cube HQI Thread

sammy33

dual-fan.jpg

I added a dual cooling fan and a 50w heater today. The fan will likely not be needed as the days get cooler. My temps right now are running around 79F. I will add this to the RK2 on a chiller channel so it will automatically turn on at 80F. The heater is going to be set to 79F so I should keep a tight temp range.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dual-fan.jpg

I added a dual cooling fan and a 50w heater today. The fan will likely not be needed as the days get cooler. My temps right now are running around 79F. I will add this to the RK2 on a chiller channel so it will automatically turn on at 80F. The heater is going to be set to 79F so I should keep a tight temp range.

Great tank setup so far!! May I ask, where did you get the fan? It has a very nice look to it. I currently have 2 icecap fans on my old 24g and i'm planning on upgrading to the 28g.

thanks for any help!

phu

Great tank setup so far!! May I ask, where did you get the fan? It has a very nice look to it. I currently have 2 icecap fans on my old 24g and i'm planning on upgrading to the 28g. thanks for any help!phu
I got mine from ebay. B) It is an Azoo fan.
Is that the NC29 stock stand that you are using? Trying to decide if I like the stand enough to buy it.

Yes. It is the JBJ Nano Cube 28g stand.

I added some marks on the adjustment knob for the skimmer pump. This makes it much easier to tweak the foam by serving as a reference point for adjustment.

airpump-marks.jpg

I am finally get this skimmer tuned in. This is about 1 1/2 days worth of skim. Not bad!

skimmate10-07.jpg

I have a box of the Tropic Marin airwoods that should be in tomorrow. These were about $22 bux for a box of 20 woods. I have heard that you are supposed to change these every month so this box will last for about 2 years.

Some new pics from today. :happy:

nano-zoa10-15.jpg

nano-ricordea.jpg

neon-toadstool.jpg

28g-fts-10-15.jpg

Very nice looking tank, but I wouldn't expect any less from you! :happy:

I'm betting your gonna get some serious chemical warfare between your leather and the SPS next to it. And I'm putting my money on the leather. So if that leather gives you too much trouble I'll be glad to do you a favor and take it off your hands. Lust LMK

Very nice looking tank, but I wouldn't expect any less from you! :happy:

I'm betting your gonna get some serious chemical warfare between your leather and the SPS next to it. And I'm putting my money on the leather. So if that leather gives you too much trouble I'll be glad to do you a favor and take it off your hands. Lust LMK

Thanks for the compliments. That leather has actually grown noticably since it has been in this tank. I also have the small Fiji Yellow in here. These are the only two "agressive" corals that I am worried about with all the SPS I am planning. I will probably keep these in the tank until they start to cause a noticable problem that carbon can't cure. :huh:

I got my first Koralia Nano in today and it seems to do a great job with adding some flow to the tank. 265GPH at 3.5 watts! I have it running full on while the stock pumps are still hooked up to the ocean pulse wave timer.

koralia-nano2.jpg

koralia-nano.jpg

Tiny, stealthy, efficient. I like it. :D

Is just one Koralia Nano enough ? Do you think 2 would over do it?

In general, yes the one is enough but for my purposes it is not enough. I am planning on adding a second one when I get my reefkeeper2 in. I am going to run one of the return pumps and a koralia on the same side of the tank on a wavemaker channel on a long cycle (like 6 hours) and then have it switch to the other side with the other return and another koralia. This will give me about 530 gph of flow in the tank at a given time.

How loud is the fan? I have had some heating problems with my tank trying to run the halide over 6 hours and recently rigged up a PC fan - Clicky. It is not as pretty as yours but is very quiet. I would consider buying the purdy one if it is not too loud.

How loud is the fan? I have had some heating problems with my tank trying to run the halide over 6 hours and recently rigged up a PC fan - Clicky. It is not as pretty as yours but is very quiet. I would consider buying the purdy one if it is not too loud.

That fan is louder than the four stock fans in the hood. It does stabilize the temps around 79-80F when I turn it on. I run my office AC rather cool at around 74F so this is probably why the tank stays cool. I actually have a heater on the tank because at night the temps will drop several degrees.

m'akoyPINOY - Thanks for the compliments on clarity. I actually only have a bag of pura complete in the filter basket with no other media. I just use the mag float to clean the inside and then some RO/DI water on the outside to polish it up. :happy:

I got a new toy today! :D

rk2.jpg

The reefkeeper2 controller is mounted right above the tank so I can glance at it and see my pH and temp very easily. So far I love this thing!

This is the power module (pic below) for the RK2. I had to move the ballast for it to fit. Moving the ballast to the bottom of the stand seemed to make a difference with the tank heat as the cabinet was getting warm from the ballast. Now the ballast is more ventilated which I am certain will help it last longer.

rk2-a.jpg

The ReefKeeper2 is controlling just about everything. The two return pumps are on wavemaker channels, the HQI and LED's are on light channels (safety shut down at 83F), the fan is on a chiller/fan channel and the heater is on a heater channel.

The temp controls on the RK2 are awesome. The fan automatically cuts on for about 20 minutes or so to cool the tank down. I have the fan set to come on at 80F and the heater at 79.5F. This keeps the temps really tight with only a 1/2 degree fluctuation.

Evaporation is higher so next project is to add the ATO and the kalk stirrer. I sometimes think I like the "toys" in this hobby as much as the animals! :happy:

Looks great! I love my RK2 as well.

Did you you configure the LED's to turn on when the halide turns off?

Yes the LED's come on for about 6 hours after the halide turns off. This upgrade to the RK2 left me with about 4 extra light timers and two power strips for the fish closet. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

More new toys!

kalk-stirrer.jpg

Kalkwasser stirrer and dosing pump from Aqua Medic. This will be hooked up to my ATO unit and then to my RK2 for pH control. This should help me maintain my Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium, Strontium, pH and salinity. I think that the addition of the kalkwasser will also help my skimmer performance and even precipitate phosphates from the system.

I am off to the store to find a small plastic trash can for my ATO. The 5g salt bucket I have is too large to fit in the stand with the ballast underneath.

It has been over two months since I set up my 28g nano cube now. The tank is doing very well with the new toys I have added. B)

One of the problems I always had with nano tanks in the past was stability. Keeping temps, salinity and pH in a tight range has been a challenge. The automation on this tank with the ReefKeeper2, the ATO auto top-off and the soon to be installed kalk reactor makes a high level of stability possible. The temps are running between 79.4 and 80.1F. The salinity is always 1.026. The pH is fairly steady around 8.0 to 8.1 and will likely improve when I add the kalk reactor.

I installed the ATO this week but held off on the kalk reactor as I am not going to be in the office again for several days. Happy Thanksgiving to all by the way. :happy: I will install the reactor next week when I get back so I can keep an eye on things (pH) for the first day or two after adding it.

I am so impressed with the tight parameters on my nano that I am thinking of doing the same thing on my big reef at home - adding the RK2 that is. My temps fluctuate more than I would like and the RK2 will fix this. I just have to figure how to explain purchasing two of these units to my wife. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
I am starting my own jbj 28 hqi and have really enjoyed your thread. I am think of incorporating some of your ideas. Look forward to any updates.

Tom

Glad you have enjoyed the thread. :happy: The tank is doing well. My corals are growing but I am having quite a time maintaining calcium/alk as I have added some SPS corals. The calcium is always around 360ppm (low) and the alkalinity is around 7dKH (low). I have not been around the tank much lately with the holiday. I do have the Kalk reactor that I plan on adding to the top-off loop. Hopefully this will improve the cal/alk levels and keep the tank on auto pilot.

Right now I am dosing B-ionic (for cal/alk) to the tank manually. I am dosing about 7ml of each part about 3-4 times a week. I should probably be doing this daily but since the tank is at my office I often get sidetracked with other things. I knew this would be a problem with the tank being unattended for long periods. This is why I have chosen the reefkeeper2 as the main control for the tank (automation). My next step is to add the kalk reactor to the system and then think about how to incorporate a battery backup for power outages.

Archived