SaltCritters.com

StevieT's Red Sea Max Experience

StevieT

Great looking tank!

I would watch that GSP ... it has a bad tendency to take over every square inch of rock :)

Did you lose the long tentacle plate? Didn't see it in the last pictures.

This is what I hear about GSP, i will keep an eye on it, right now it isn't touching any live rock, but if it does jump the ship, i will frag it off.

Yes, I lost the plate coral. It wasn't looking too hot, some of the tentacles were gone, well i was moving it around and inspecting it when I broke it in half!!!!!!!!! AAAA i was sooo pissed and flet so bad for the coral. I figured i would frag some zoa or other coral someday and glue it to the skeleton, I have done this before with another skeleton.

Good eye!

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, I lost the plate coral. It wasn't looking too hot, some of the tentacles were gone, well i was moving it around and inspecting it when I broke it in half!!!!!!!!! AAAA i was sooo pissed and flet so bad for the coral. I figured i would frag some zoa or other coral someday and glue it to the skeleton, I have done this before with another skeleton.

Good eye!

The LT plates are awesome, but somewhat hard to keep. I have read, and experienced, the slow death syndrome. For not reason what-so-ever they will be fine one day, then the next they start deteriorating and just die. I had a great looking one and then it went down hill. My orange short tentacle plate though is a trooper.

Good information. I only had the thing for a short time. I don't think it was in the "best" shape when I purchased it. It was thrown in for free so I wasn't too mad when I "killed" it. Yet I do believe it would have done what you stated above anyways since it wasn't fully healthy when I broght it home.

• 2 weeks later...

Love the tank. Was also very interested in your Acclimation Bucket. I feel I'm lacking knowledge in this very important process. If you get some time, could you go over how your doing this?

Thank you.

Who would a thought! Petco actually had something turn out great! And they didn't even know! I like that firefish Steve. I'm thinking on adding a couple randells gobies, the gold stripped neons, gotta have em livin in steel town. Lookin awesome. Happy reefing, Joe

Is that a peppermint shrimp?
Yes it is a perpermint shrimp. He came over from my old tank, had him stince Mayish 2007
Who would a thought! Petco actually had something turn out great! And they didn't even know! I like that firefish Steve. I'm thinking on adding a couple randells gobies, the gold stripped neons, gotta have em livin in steel town. Lookin awesome. Happy reefing, Joe
No kidding, I can't believe how well they are doing, they even want to reproduce, gooooo petco!The firefish is really colorful, a great addition, he hides and sleeps behind the yuma rock. Your steelers had a tough one monday night! what a boring game... B)
how do you like the stock skimmer? Has it been pulling skimmate? Have you had any problems with microbubbles?
I am OK with the stock simmer. I never will be completely happy with it since it does not perform like my old Remora did. It does work, it pulls out a thick skimmate and I clean it out every other week. Not very much collects in the cup, but there is usually a nice thick paste on the inside of the overflow tube and the top of the skimmer. The microbubbles were a problem at first like any other skimmer, but they have passed long ago and I have very little. I think most poeple that complain about this skimmer and microbubbles have not run it very long or do not have a enough bio load for it to pull anything.Overall- pleased and I do not look to upgrade since it does work.
That is an amazing tank! As a noob, I was wondering if you might be willing to go over what you are doing as far as dosing/feeding. Thanks!
thank you! I feed the fish every other day, mysis and brine shrimp, i direct feed with a syringe (actually just got done feeding!) I do not feed on the weekeds since no one is around. Corals get fed once a week, phyto (marine snow )mixed with zooplex (powdered ground up bits of ocean junk). I mix that with saltwater and target feed with a turkey baster.Dosing- Depends on the depleation of calcium and other elements. I dose usually 1-2 times a week with a two part solution such as b-ionic. Yet weekely waterchanges are my main source of dosing. My calclium will stay above 420 for only 2.5-3 days. I try and keep it level.
thanks for the quick response... out of curiousity, do you know of any after-market skimmer that fit in the back and perform well?

yes, there has been much discussion about this on reefcentral. The tunze 9001 fits ok and works. i hear the collection cup sticks up a little high and you may not be able to close the cover. i also have read that there is a remora in sump skimmer that fits. I can find the link for you tomorrow if you would like to do some research.

I feed the fish every other day, mysis and brine shrimp, i direct feed with a syringe (actually just got done feeding!) I do not feed on the weekeds since no one is around. Corals get fed once a week, phyto (marine snow )mixed with zooplex (powdered ground up bits of ocean junk). I mix that with saltwater and target feed with a turkey baster.Dosing- Depends on the depleation of calcium and other elements. I dose usually 1-2 times a week with a two part solution such as b-ionic. Yet weekely waterchanges are my main source of dosing. My calclium will stay above 420 for only 2.5-3 days. I try and keep it level.

Thanks for letting me know. Its hard to get good info on dosing and feeding, everyone does it differently. Given the way that your tank looks, Ill have to adopt a similar routine when I get my tank set up. Thanks again for the info!

That GSP is looking good. I also got a GSP but my is only a frag. What I wanted to know is what color is your GSP's mat? Because my is white and the GSP stalks are small and short. They're not as long as yours or maybe its cause they are still small?

That GSP is looking good. I also got a GSP but my is only a frag. What I wanted to know is what color is your GSP's mat? Because my is white and the GSP stalks are small and short. They're not as long as yours or maybe its cause they are still small?

That particular GSP's mat is very dark purple. I have some other star polyp (not as green and shorter in length) and it's mat is more pinkish white. There are different kinds of GSP, all with different mat colors and height of polyps.

lilredneckman

WOW!! amazing photography and nice tank. I recently bought a new RSM about 2 weeks ago and i will be setting it up in about 3 weeks. Is there any upgrades/mods that you have done? Thanks in advance! :)

WOW!! amazing photography and nice tank. I recently bought a new RSM about 2 weeks ago and i will be setting it up in about 3 weeks. Is there any upgrades/mods that you have done? Thanks in advance! :)

Thank you! Well if you read through my thread you will see pretty much everything I have done to the tank.

Added Koralia #2

Added JBJ auto top off system

Flo rotating deflector

Cut black sponge in half

Not using white sponge, filter floss at times used

Cut holes in skimmer to improve skimmate

Removed Stock carbon, replaced with Chemi-Pure

Removed all BIO filtration, ie bio balls, live rock rubble

Added 1 bag of Purigen

Spend Spend Spend on corals, live rock and sand

Thats pretty much it, the reason I upgraded to the RSM is becuse it is an excellent All in One system. No heavy mods are needed.

Feel free to ask any questions when you get set up, take it slow!

lilredneckman

Ok thanks, that sounds like it should be easy. Yeah i learned that to take it slow, my 55 crashed a few years ago but i have learned from my mistakes. But i don't know everything so i probably will be asking a few questions once i get it set up.

Thanks

Archived