Innovative Marine Aquariums

StevieT's Red Sea Max Experience

StevieT

wow, thank you great idea!

The buttons are on the bottom but I can picture what you mean. Today is feeding day so we will try it out. :D

Thank you :)

No problem....I was completely frustrated with having to unplug it every time as well and finally just pestered the EcoTech guys until they told me about placing it into Standby mode without entering Night mode.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They needed to add this into the direction sheets or just make feeding mode adjustable. Or just have the dial when turned all the way to (-) turn off the pump.

Seems like an easy fix/why was it designed this way in the first place moment for me.

Oh well, thanks again.

mr. coral (recently)

Marine Depot (no long available for livestock)

Mvite a bunch ( no longer available)

zoanuts

Prop (member here)

other members here

No Dr. Mac? Oh come on...

who?

I was just admiring your handy work and thought of the good doctor when I saw the list. Pacific East Aquaculture, site sponsor. There is even a pic of wheetie with Dr. Mac at a swap on here somewhere. I have had three orders from him and my first ever internet purchase was from their place. The colors put my existing stuff to shame. They were a lot more accomidating and a heck of a lot more friendly than DFS ever was to me.

Wow I'm just done going through your elaborate topic here. Thanks for sharing.

I'm getting my RSM this saturday so I'll check back here a few times more I guess...

One minor point of critique tho... When I use the links in the top of your post I always have to scroll like a madman to get to the info. It always shows your first post with 20 pics at the top first. is there a way for me to turn this off or would you consider editing your post and move the pics to your 2nd post for userfriendlyness.. I put up with it because I know those nuggets of usefull information are awaiting me somewhere halfway down the page but it's kind of anoying.

oh yeah, I'm getting my RSM "stocked" so once through the cycle I'll place my order... ;)

Dr. Mac, the lead aquarium livestock biologist for McDonald's.

Filllet O Fish frags?

I should add, sorry Stevie. This is a serious thread. LOL

You should check out Pacific East though. I have never gotten frags as healthy as theirs.

hey i dont mean to take over your thread with this but i think one of my corals is really two! is there a way i can keep both alive? and any idea what the second one is i got an answer for the first one but any advise would help maybe i could frag the living ones left off ? idk

DSC01008-1.jpg

Hey man. Just tested out putting the Vortech and I misspoke.

To put it into standby, hold down Mode + Set at the same time. Lights will start flashing red/blue/white. At that point, it is in standby. To get it back to normal, press and hold down Mode until it flashes red/purple (depending on mode) and then press Mode one more time and you are back to normal.

-adam

To put it into standby, hold down Mode + Set at the same time. Lights will start flashing red/blue/white. At that point, it is in standby. To get it back to normal, press and hold down Mode until it flashes red/purple (depending on mode) and then press Mode one more time and you are back to normal.

-adam

Cool, lots of hidden information out here on the interweb...

I was just admiring your handy work and thought of the good doctor when I saw the list. Pacific East Aquaculture, site sponsor. There is even a pic of wheetie with Dr. Mac at a swap on here somewhere. I have had three orders from him and my first ever internet purchase was from their place. The colors put my existing stuff to shame. They were a lot more accomidating and a heck of a lot more friendly than DFS ever was to me.

Didn't know of Dr. Mac. I will have to look for that pic! I will have to check them out next time I get the itch for corals, which will be soon :D

Wow I'm just done going through your elaborate topic here. Thanks for sharing.

I'm getting my RSM this saturday so I'll check back here a few times more I guess...

One minor point of critique tho... When I use the links in the top of your post I always have to scroll like a madman to get to the info. It always shows your first post with 20 pics at the top first. is there a way for me to turn this off or would you consider editing your post and move the pics to your 2nd post for userfriendlyness.. I put up with it because I know those nuggets of usefull information are awaiting me somewhere halfway down the page but it's kind of anoying.

oh yeah, I'm getting my RSM "stocked" so once through the cycle I'll place my order... ;)

:welcome:

Your forum view is set to linear. Change it to standard. There is a button on the upper right of the screen. It's not my thread, just a setting on your control pannel

hold on I will get you a screen shot

shot.jpg

pull the options button down

Filllet O Fish frags?

I should add, sorry Stevie. This is a serious thread. LOL

You should check out Pacific East though. I have never gotten frags as healthy as theirs.

yes... serious :lol:

Tanks for the suggestion, I will def check them out next time.

hey i dont mean to take over your thread with this but i think one of my corals is really two! is there a way i can keep both alive? and any idea what the second one is i got an answer for the first one but any advise would help maybe i could frag the living ones left off ? idk

My Guesses

shot-1.jpg

-adam

Adam-

Correct, I figured it out later today. Had to do it three times. Once when installing the ATO, another for feeding, and the third for a water change.

The WC is almost the most important part. Thanks again I don't know how long that would have taken me to figure out.

Here is my new ATO setup.

The cord mess will be cleaned up with black cordminder in the next few days. Along with a better wired timer setup and UPS batter back up system that I received free of charge.

ATO:

I took 1" PVC tubing and two 90° elbows. Painted them black. Jammed 1/2" ID tubing inside of it. Bingo, clean flat looking plumed ATO. The old tubing was bowed and ugly.

I also have a 10 gallon reservoir now, holds about two weeks worth of water.

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

Before:

IMG_3093-1.jpg

IMG_3092-1.jpg

IMG_3094-1.jpg

1111111111.jpg

Looks great. Really appreciate the details.

I posted a link on my local site to in-tank and you even impressed our local acrylic expert, who has made his own skimmers. The fact that all of the reefers are either going back to school or getting laid off may affect sales but everyone admits they could not make any of your stuff as well or for the price you sell them at. You do deserve kudos. I am waiting for you to break down and design your own AIO. I know your thinking about it.

I really like the clean look with the pvc tube chase... I'd consider doing a second chase for the wires as well.

Of course, if I go with a chiller, it's going to make use of that convenient cutout, so might not be anywhere to put either chase.... Also, not sure i'll have room underneath for both a chiller and a ATO reservoir...

I'm in paralysis mode - would like to do an ATO, but also looking at needing a chiller too. Where did you find a 10gal bucket that would fit on the lower shelf?

For the wireless temp probe, I finally figured out some velcro made the most sense for holding it on the back - double sided tape was the first solution, but needed to be replaced whenever I removed the sensor for maintenance.

Looks good!

Looks great. Really appreciate the details.

I posted a link on my local site to in-tank and you even impressed our local acrylic expert, who has made his own skimmers. The fact that all of the reefers are either going back to school or getting laid off may affect sales but everyone admits they could not make any of your stuff as well or for the price you sell them at. You do deserve kudos. I am waiting for you to break down and design your own AIO. I know your thinking about it.

Thank you! That is pretty cool to hear. I have found that hobbies tend to be recession proof and I am constantly busy with building and filling orders. I still have things to learn with acrylic but right now with the tools I use they look very nice. I hope to hear back on a few quotes for a CNC machine, but some are very high and I am not raising my prices just to free up time for more products.

Some day inTank will make tanks! A true AIO that only needs mods because you want them, not because you need them. -- company moto :)

I still think you should be on the Red Sea Max Research and Development team. :D

But then they would make money off of a media rack :P

I really like the clean look with the pvc tube chase... I'd consider doing a second chase for the wires as well.

Of course, if I go with a chiller, it's going to make use of that convenient cutout, so might not be anywhere to put either chase.... Also, not sure i'll have room underneath for both a chiller and a ATO reservoir...

I'm in paralysis mode - would like to do an ATO, but also looking at needing a chiller too. Where did you find a 10gal bucket that would fit on the lower shelf?

For the wireless temp probe, I finally figured out some velcro made the most sense for holding it on the back - double sided tape was the first solution, but needed to be replaced whenever I removed the sensor for maintenance.

Looks good!

The tote came from Menards. $3! haha I also use velcro to hold on my wireless sensor. It actually came from the state of illinois for their iPass RFDI toll thingy. I have tons of that laying around.

I actually use velcor ot hold most electronics to the tank. ATO Sensor, vortech control box, this new PVC tube in place, and the wireless sender. This way you can remove to replace a battery or remove for maintenance on the tank and not damage these electronics.

Two things I love to use on my tank, magents and strong velcro.

Any room for fans? My fans keep my tank at 79° in the summer with the MH light. Otherwise they would be around 84-85°

OH- The velcro doesn't need to be replaced, just cut or attach so it doesn't bond the plate that has to be removed. I show you pics of mine if you want.

The tote came from Menards. $3! haha I also use velcro to hold on my wireless sensor. It actually came from the state of illinois for their iPass RFDI toll thingy. I have tons of that laying around.

I actually use velcor ot hold most electronics to the tank. ATO Sensor, vortech control box, this new PVC tube in place, and the wireless sender. This way you can remove to replace a battery or remove for maintenance on the tank and not damage these electronics.

Two things I love to use on my tank, magents and strong velcro.

Any room for fans? My fans keep my tank at 79° in the summer with the MH light. Otherwise they would be around 84-85°

OH- The velcro doesn't need to be replaced, just cut or attach so it doesn't bond the plate that has to be removed. I show you pics of mine if you want.

Gotta love velcro. It was the double sided tape i kept replacing...velcro solved that. Attached it around the battery hatch on the temp sensor, so not a problem.

I have a small vornado fan aimed right at the intake grates (left side) of the hood from about 3 - 4 feet away. When I notice the tank temp creeping up (like, when it hits 82 or so) I put it on medium and it seems to hold it steady. If it's a hot day (house temp up to 79), the tank can get up to 85, in which case I crank the fan on high, and open the front part of the lid (little risk with the firefish, but not gonna be good for him if he cooks anyway).

The problem is the whole manual nature of it - I have to keep an eye on the house temp, tank temp, and time of day (because of the lighting cycle - pushed it later in the day to avoid some of the heat problems) - it's getting a bit tedious, and a chiller SOUNDS like a way to avoid that whole hassle. I hesitate, because I've found that any one thing that is supposed to end hassle, invariably creates more hassle. But, as I go on the road to work more often, there really isn't any reliable way to be sure the temps are checked and the fan goes on - at the right speed - consistently.

Thanks for the inspiration!

But, as I go on the road to work more often, there really isn't any reliable way to be sure the temps are checked and the fan goes on - at the right speed - consistently.

Sorry to randomly jump in here Stevie, but it sounds like a solution in this case may be something like the Reef Keeper Lite. With the current price of the Level 1 unit ($99), you could easily set it in the following way and avoid having to manually turn on a fan (HUGE PITA I imagine) and also avoid having to buy a chiller:

-Buy the RKL and a small fan (or the one you use now)

-Set it so that it turns on the heater if it gets below say 79.0

-Set the controller to turn off the heater and turn on the fan if it reaches 80.0

-Set the controller to turn off fan once it gets 79.5

This way, you could solve your current problem, keep temperatures incredibly stable, and also have a controller that you can monitor pH, ORP, and expand in the future for ANY tank. And no, I don't work for Digital Aquatics, but I did just get the RKL Level 1 and LOVE the thing. So cool, easy to setup, and I just set mine up similar to what I described. Took all of 15 minutes to unpack and get going.

Chiller would be nice to have in your case. I don't hear too many stories of them going crazy if set up correctly.

Another option would be a thermostat controlled fan. I believe you can pick up control units that will regulate the fan. I am going to be looking into this option soon as I need the fans on part of the day, but not at night. So as you said, the manual process of it all is a pain.

They also increase evaporation

HI STEVIE

I MUST SAY YOU HAVE A FANTASTIC TANK

JUST A QUICK QUESTION

HOW DO YOU KEEP THE OUTSIDE GLASS OF THE AQUARIUM CLEAN BECAUSE

I WIPE IT DOWN WITH WATER EVERY FEW DAYS BUT IT JUST GETS CLOUDY AND

MISTY AGAIN SO I WAS WONDERING IF THERE WAS ANYTHING I COULD USE TO KEEP THE TANK GLASS CLEAN

windex and a paper towel

If you use water make sure it is RO so no minerals are left on the glass

Archived