Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

StevieT's Red Sea Max Experience

StevieT

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NanoReefNovice

Wow, good job. I cant stand change during, but after it usually turns out better.

Are the zip ties so you don't disturb the rock, or the rock doesn't disturb you?

Wow, good job. I cant stand change during, but after it usually turns out better.

Are the zip ties so you don't disturb the rock, or the rock doesn't disturb you?

I think the zip ties were so he knew which rock was which. So he could try to get the aquascape the same.

As above the zip ties were to code the rock but it didn't work very well. I needed more detail and it was pretty much impossible to start with. It did help with the general location of rocks.

Moving an established tank was harder than I thought. You have to be aware of coral placement.

No office, no office max. Its the entryway max now <_<

It is by a desk in an office, does that count?

Your water looks wet now.

I don't know, I think I spilled all the wetness on the floor setting it up. My boots are pure white from salt.

I dread the day when I'm going to have to move my tank. Sometimes I think it won't be as hard as it sounds, but after seeing you do it I think it will be much worse. Keep us updated, which I know you will.

Bruce

when i turn 18. we are turning the garage in to my house(2 car). so hopefully for a long time thats as far as i need to move

I suppose it is better than saying you live in your partent's basement

yea and cheaper than buying a house...... till my mom and sister move out. but there will be no connection door ways.

reefman225gal

I would be nervous with my tank not being in view. You better let your co workers know, If you touch it, you better be prepared for a beat down. :slap: Tanks looking good Stevie, and good job on the move.

I can get them fired if they mess with the tank :D

All food is stored well away on the other side of the building

yea and cheaper than buying a house...... till my mom and sister move out. but there will be no connection door ways.

why not rent?

Stevie - how did you pull off your corals from your rock? Any problems with them encrusting over your larger rocks? or were all your frags on smaller pieces of rocks stacked on your larger rocks? Your pics look like the corals were pulled cleanly off the rocks. I know down the road I am going to be forced to do some landscaping but I do not want to pull out my large rock work.

only a few corals were encrusted on and those were the montis. All corals were glued on using my method which also allows you to remove them easily.

The mushrooms and rics stayed and some of the zoas did but all other corals were easily removed from the rocks. THey grow up not out so all that was holding them was superglue gel and aquamend.

No more office max :(,you should have kept the standard lightning on it,so you could have put the max in your new office. :)

So, what happened with the African Cichlid tank?

It is in my man cave My parents basement on the bar. Now that was an easy tank to move. I saved the sand and rocks/wood and put the fish in two large coolers. Matched the water temp when setting back up and bingo, pi$$ed off fish for only 4 hours.

Dang thing needs a new light so I ordered a Nova T5 unit. Now it is backordered until May 15th. Anyone have any alternatives for a nice 48" light? Also what color temp? I was thinking 50/50 but I have played with just about everything, I can't seem to find one I like.

Glad the move went well Steve, after all you're hard work it would be horrible if something had happened.

I saw that you put all the fish together in a shoebox size container... any reason you did that instead of bagging individually?

I have to move mine on sunday.. :scarry: i'm getting really nervous about it all going smooth. won't be able to start till about lunch time and it takes about 4 hours to get there.

Stevie - Are you still using a maxi-jet 1200 for your JBJ ATO? Also in your tank thread index on your JBJ install, I don't understand what the picture of the black hose and hose clamp depicts. maybe when I actually get my JBJ in my hands I'll have a better understanding. When is the inTank "Grand Re-opening"?

Glad the move went well Steve, after all you're hard work it would be horrible if something had happened.

I saw that you put all the fish together in a shoebox size container... any reason you did that instead of bagging individually?

I have to move mine on sunday.. :scarry: i'm getting really nervous about it all going smooth. won't be able to start till about lunch time and it takes about 4 hours to get there.

The owner of a LFS sudgested just putting them in a small cooler. I was going to bag them but he warned against it with the long trip and time out of the tank. I did the same with my freshwater move and it worked very well. He sudgested corals in bags fish in a cooler, and it worked very nice.

Oh wow, good luck. Let me know if you have any questions on what I did. I will post much more detail on my move but it will be after yours. So it is a 4 hour drive from tank to new location?

Stevie - Are you still using a maxi-jet 1200 for your JBJ ATO? Also in your tank thread index on your JBJ install, I don't understand what the picture of the black hose and hose clamp depicts. maybe when I actually get my JBJ in my hands I'll have a better understanding. When is the inTank "Grand Re-opening"?

Yes still using that pump.

The black think you are looking at is in my filtration area. The hose comes into it and it directs the water down into the chamber. If it wasn't there water would squirt out sideways. It was a makeshift way of directing water down. I used parts from the maxijet and other items laying around. Sealed up with aquamend putty and painted black.

Sometime this month, no set date yet.

The owner of a LFS sudgested just putting them in a small cooler. I was going to bag them but he warned against it with the long trip and time out of the tank. I did the same with my freshwater move and it worked very well. He sudgested corals in bags fish in a cooler, and it worked very nice.

Oh wow, good luck. Let me know if you have any questions on what I did. I will post much more detail on my move but it will be after yours. So it is a 4 hour drive from tank to new location?

ok i'll look and see what i have. I've got a cooler i was planning to put the rocks or corals in that i can use but it might be too big. They'll definintly be in the front with me so i can regulate the temp accordingly.

I was planning on using black trashbags in 5g buckets (2) to transport tank water with rocks - like a giant fish bag. 3 5g jugs of new saltwater, and various containers for the corals and fish/inverts. i'm also replacing all the sand. fingerscrossed how does that sound??

Ya, moving from basically Huntington Beach to the Fresno area. its a good 3.5 hours but i'll probably be driving really really slow! haha My mustang is going to be like "what the h*** Let's GO!!!

I didn't save any water. I did have it made up about 5 days earlier. The rock went into a container with old water. The corals were all bagged which protected them in transport. There were only a few corals that I couldn't pop off the rock but was they were only softies.

The small cooler I just picked up right before doing this all, you could bag them if you wanted I see no harm in it really. But I do recommend any hard or fragile corals to be bagged. It will protect them vs just moving around in transport in a container.

When you get them to the new location float the corals right away to bring up to temp. Stick a heater and powerhead in the rock bucket. Dump the fish in a bucket with a heater and flow to bring them back up.

That gives you time to set up the tank and introduce the fish and corals after you scape.

Yes on replacing the sand. It sucked to throw all that life away but the risk was huge in saving it.

Good luck

Archived