Cultivated Reef

StevieT's Red Sea Max Experience

StevieT

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Stevie...

I went ahead and bought the 150w stealth today at my LFS. I didn't get as good of a deal on it as you (it was on SALE for $29.99)...but I don't care, it was worth it IMO. I can sleep better tonight and go to work tomorrow knowing that it's not going to go bonkers and fry my tank like the unreliable stock one...I am going to keep an eye on it tonight and hubby will be home tomorrow so he can do the same just to make sure.

Also-I was wondering...I couldn't remember if you said you installed the optional cooling fan or not? Just curious. Our place is always between 68-72ish degrees so I didn't do it.

P.S.- My skimmer seems to be doing a pretty good job actually...I don't really have anything to compare it to...but I have been emptying it about every 2 days and it has some nice greenish brown watery sludge in it...I was surprised. :blink:

Hey Stevie...

I went ahead and bought the 150w stealth today at my LFS. I didn't get as good of a deal on it as you (it was on SALE for $29.99)...but I don't care, it was worth it IMO. I can sleep better tonight and go to work tomorrow knowing that it's not going to go bonkers and fry my tank like the unreliable stock one...I am going to keep an eye on it tonight and hubby will be home tomorrow so he can do the same just to make sure.

Also-I was wondering...I couldn't remember if you said you installed the optional cooling fan or not? Just curious. Our place is always between 68-72ish degrees so I didn't do it.

P.S.- My skimmer seems to be doing a pretty good job actually...I don't really have anything to compare it to...but I have been emptying it about every 2 days and it has some nice greenish brown watery sludge in it...I was surprised. :blink:

Good buy on the heater. I paid about $16 online but add in shipping, had other things in the order. Peace of mind and not waiting for it is well worth every penny.

I did install the fan, it came with my tank. I upgraded the transformer from 7V to 9V to make it spin faster and move more heat. I have a nice climate controlled office but it does lower temps about 1-2° overall, good for the summer months.

Great to hear on the skimmer. Mine worked alright in the beginning when the tank was new with die off and junk, then stopped after a few months. Hopefully yours will continue to work.

The mandarin is now eating Rods food all the time. She usually stays in one rear corner or the other. I am using the rear right corner to feed her, this way she knows that is always where it will be. I either drop the food in the tank making sure it goes in that corner or insert it using the sea squirt. She gets really excited and comes right over and starts her feeding.

No more playing around with it or waiting for it to physically move. Right now I am feeding her every other day with the rest of the tank. I don't want to over feed they system but if she needs it so be it as I have plenty of CUC and good water quality.

I have been trying to get a movie of her feeding. Now that it is pretty routine I will get one soon and post it.

Side question: Does any one have a freshwater tank with a powerhead just for flow? More surface adgitation and to move detritus around to get sucked up would be the bennifits I see. Or is it pointless? I have a 55 long with african cichlids, it is 2.5 years old. I use two cansiter filters and am adding a HOB just to hold floss for easy changes. The canisters make it hard to change it often enough.

CarterNichols
Side question: Does any one have a freshwater tank with a powerhead just for flow? More surface adgitation and to move detritus around to get sucked up would be the bennifits I see. Or is it pointless? I have a 55 long with african cichlids, it is 2.5 years old. I use two cansiter filters and am adding a HOB just to hold floss for easy changes. The canisters make it hard to change it often enough.

when i had a freshwater tank agitating the surface helped out the water quality a lot... i used a bubble bar because the tank was small but i suppose a powerhead would do the job.

when i had a freshwater tank agitating the surface helped out the water quality a lot... i used a bubble bar because the tank was small but i suppose a powerhead would do the job.

I have bubble bars hooked to a seperate switch and only turn on every now and then to stir things up and introduce more oxygen. I am thinking a koralia would do a nice job of this all the time. These things keep making more and I am way overstocked with 15 fish now.

^^^^^ got it, got it, need it, need it, got it...... :P

You be workin too hard bud.

Vac up all them acrylic chips and get some rest will ya?

CarterNichols
I have bubble bars hooked to a seperate switch and only turn on every now and then to stir things up and introduce more oxygen. I am thinking a koralia would do a nice job of this all the time. These things keep making more and I am way overstocked with 15 fish now.

does your local fish store have fresh water as well? i'd snatch those things up and turn them in for store credit... that's how my LFS does it at least... but yeah i think a koralia will only improve things...

P.S. why do you have all those tanks lined up? did you start a modification business?

does your local fish store have fresh water as well? i'd snatch those things up and turn them in for store credit... that's how my LFS does it at least... but yeah i think a koralia will only improve things...

P.S. why do you have all those tanks lined up? did you start a modification business?

I haven't been in a pet store in a long time. I should see if they want some of the new ones, I can't handle any more from this point on. They can have them for free, if they want to give me credit all the better.

I spent some money at the good doctors last night. New HOB filter for floss only, also has a surface skimmer so I can get rid of the Fluval one. Koralia #2, bubble wands, new hose, new suction cups, and natural driftwood that I have to cycle. I haven't spent a dime on this tank in a long time.

Those are all research tanks for products I make out of acrylic. After the success of my orginal RSM media basket, I figured to move on, plus members were constantly asking me to make baskets for their tanks. It was easier to buy the tank and do the dimentions and engineering in my shop.

^^^^^ got it, got it, need it, need it, got it...... :P

You be workin too hard bud.

Vac up all them acrylic chips and get some rest will ya?

lol

+1

CarterNichols
I haven't been in a pet store in a long time. I should see if they want some of the new ones, I can't handle any more from this point on. They can have them for free, if they want to give me credit all the better.

I spent some money at the good doctors last night. New HOB filter for floss only, also has a surface skimmer so I can get rid of the Fluval one. Koralia #2, bubble wands, new hose, new suction cups, and natural driftwood that I have to cycle. I haven't spent a dime on this tank in a long time.

Those are all research tanks for products I make out of acrylic. After the success of my orginal RSM media basket, I figured to move on, plus members were constantly asking me to make baskets for their tanks. It was easier to buy the tank and do the dimentions and engineering in my shop.

That's a lot of stuff for the FW, but i love driftwood in those tanks looks really good... i wish i had all those tanks lying around, it won't be too long before the companies come looking for that design..

That's a lot of stuff for the FW, but i love driftwood in those tanks looks really good... i wish i had all those tanks lying around, it won't be too long before the companies come looking for that design..

It is. The curren air hoses are dried out and the bubble bars are clogged up. I haven't invested a dime in the tank for a long time, it still looks great but needs a little love. I should take in the new fish, ususally when I find them during a water change I just flush them, kind of mean but I can't handle the bioload and don't live close to a LFS.

We will see where the products go, right now I am the only one producting anything like it.

CarterNichols
It is. The curren air hoses are dried out and the bubble bars are clogged up. I haven't invested a dime in the tank for a long time, it still looks great but needs a little love. I should take in the new fish, ususally when I find them during a water change I just flush them, kind of mean but I can't handle the bioload and don't live close to a LFS.

We will see where the products go, right now I am the only one producting anything like it.

I know what you mean about the fish... living in toxic water would probably be worse than the trip down the tubes :/

better throw a patent on it.

Hey StevieT! I managed to find some time and caught up on the last few pages. It looks like you had a run-in with Reef Central too, but didn't get the kick in the a@@ that so many people have (including me). RC has been losing sponsors because of their ridiculously unfair treatment of members. Good people in my local reef club have gotten the boot too, for no good reason. Anyway, enough about that - there IS life after Reef Central! :)

I was looking into those Infrared non-contact thermometers, but they seem to have a range of being off by +/- 4 to 4.5 degrees F. Are they actually closer than that? I'm not sure I'd want to trust one for my only means of measuring tank temperature.

Good to hear the business is doing well!

Hey ReefMack! I was thinking of you every moment when I was emailing this Mark guy and how they treated you. I gave him a pretty hard time back and forth, but in a smug way. He never banned me, I couldn't believe it knowing RC and their BS. I basically ended with because of this email I will never sponsor on your site, which I was somewhat considering in the near future. But now, no way. I didn't really spend much time there but figured it may bring in a sale or two.

Enough of that, I do have some pretty good emails from this guy, I may share them someday.

I would not use one of these thermometers as your primary source for anything dealing with water. They are non contact, so you don't know waht you are measuring. Is is the rock, the glass the water surface your fish or your foot? That being said, mine is spot on to what my pinpoint reads and my other digital term. Now, it is not point and shoot accuracy, but by moving it around left to right you find the correct temp. Opening the hood is much more accurate as at the glass well that is what you are possibly measuring.

It is more of a fun toy that also serves as backup, and for the water change bucket. For $25 I couldn't pass it up and gave one away for x-mas. The laser is used to mess with the fish. Oh look my hand is putting off 91°.

The RSM thread on RC is deaaaaaaad now. SO be it, owners should be elsewhere by now and nOObs can do a google search :)

OK on the IR thermometer - they use them at work when we complain how hot or cold it is in the office LOL. Neat little gadgets - I didn't realize you could get one at such low cost. I'll put one on my wish list. :)

On RC - I may still have some emails from the jerk that banned me, but it's over with so no sense posting them. They're just a bunch of rude and ignorant jerks that are running the place now. There are so many people now banned from RC that some have started their own forums, with anti-RC banners at the top! I can guarantee you that RC will be watching any future activity you have on there, so beware LOL! The old club has relocated elsewhere and is much better organized and better than ever! They may have done us a favor! Several 130D owners now, and the RSM 250 owners are starting to show up.

Now that I'm home and photobucket isn't blocked I'll have tro catch up on your pictures!

Now that I'm home and photobucket isn't blocked I'll have tro catch up on your pictures!

Make sure to check out the video linked a few pages back, or here:

can we see a FTS of your tank in the office?

Sure here: Or watch the video, there are a few at the end

IMG_8866.jpg

Archived