ReefCleaners.org

StevieT's Red Sea Max Experience

StevieT

Hey Stevie,

Still having problems with the temp. I can't figure out what the hood fan plugs into. I'm thinking there was a ac adapter included in the box that I overlooked when I built the tank. Do you have any idea what size it is so I can pick it up from radioshack? Also the flow is still giving me problems every once in a while it will be blocked and the return pumps start spitting out air usually it will be b/c I need to top off the tank or just move the media bags and rack around so flow can get through. Can you send a picture of where you have the chemipure purigen bags and the black sponge in the media rack so I know I have them placed correctly. Thanks again for all your help.

The extra fan that is included with the tank is on a 7v DC adapeter. But scratch that and find a 9V transformer and splice it into the fan. It will make it spin faster giving you more flow. Information on the first or first few pages of this thread with pictures.

I do not use the black sponge anymore, to risky. I use filter floss (very little, 2-3 squares or a small handfull) on the first shelve, then purigen, then a chemi pure bag. It is very important to tie up the chemi pure bag to the middle shelve. It is so large that it can block flow otherwise. If you tie it up, more water can get around the media.

Keeping your tank topped off is very important. An ATO may be in order. There are picures of how I have it set up on my rack thread. Otherwise, I did take a recent picture when I changed my media. I will post it later on.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will upload a bunch tonight. I have so much actual work to catch up on, only 98 more emails to get thorugh :o

It was on maco, but is about 3-4" wide there in the pic. It is a soft coral, they don't have too many hard corals in that area. After seeing where they took us, I wanted to give them corals, not take them out!!! The reefs were at about 2% what they should be. But we went to a touristy area and the boat that comes in 3 times a day doesn't help a thing. It was actually pretty sad, but at least there were a few corals left, still tons of fish.

The current was really strong from the hurricanes so getting a steady close up shot was hard without weights or touching the rocks.

Camera case did amazing! That is by far the way to go to get good pictures.

I took 1158 pictures over 5 days :D

here is the full shot of that coral... I don't konw what it is

IMG_6946.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's a Pocillopora, but I could be wrong.

Can you provide some more details on the JBJ ATO you made on the first page of the thread?

I think you said you used a maxi-jet 1200. What type/size of tubing (1/2 inch??) did you use and how did you attach it to the tank? Also, what size mag float did you use for the float sensor MOD? Thanks!

Can you provide some more details on the JBJ ATO you made on the first page of the thread?

I think you said you used a maxi-jet 1200. What type/size of tubing (1/2 inch??) did you use and how did you attach it to the tank? Also, what size mag float did you use for the float sensor MOD? Thanks!

yes, maxi-jet 1200. Yes, it is 0.5" ID tubing. It is just on the pump without anything holding it there, just a friction bond.

On the rear of the tank I used a piece of the bracket they used. I used a zip tie to get the bend into the tube and a few more to secure it down. Just make sure it is out of the water otherwise you will have a serious issue.

I used an old small mag float. Smallest one they make. If you do it like mine. Don't mount it horizontal, do it virtically. That way you have more room.

I used an old small mag float. Smallest one they make. If you do it like mine. Don't mount it horizontal, do it virtically. That way you have more room.

I just got the JBJ ATO in the mail today and I am trying to MOD it with the magnet like you did. What type of glue did you use? Is there any kind of glue that I should be concerned about getting into the water?

Also, does it matter which way the sensor is oriented (wires up or down)? They don't say in the booklet that comes with the ATO. Did you just use the mount that came with it for the second senor in your RO reservoir?

Any update on the rack and cup? One I get those I'll be able to get everything started.

Thanks for all of your help!

I just got the JBJ ATO in the mail today and I am trying to MOD it with the magnet like you did. What type of glue did you use? Is there any kind of glue that I should be concerned about getting into the water?

Also, does it matter which way the sensor is oriented (wires up or down)? They don't say in the booklet that comes with the ATO. Did you just use the mount that came with it for the second senor in your RO reservoir?

Any update on the rack and cup? One I get those I'll be able to get everything started.

Thanks for all of your help!

I just boxed up your rack and cup, printed the label and you should have the tracking info emailed to you from UPS and Paypal. Leaving my warehouse tomorrow with my UPS pickup.

On the ATO, the wires go up I guess, there is only one way to mount the sensor, the float must head down as the water level decreases, so let gravity force it down and that is the way to mount it.

I used a two part epoxy, most glues are safe in the tank as I use superglue gel and aquamend putty for mounting corals. Just let it cure and it will be fine. It is superglue brand epoxy, pretty cheap a few dollars, mix the two parts, there are pics of it here somewhere on the thread.

Yes, I used the normal setup for the resivor. I epoxyed a suction cup in place so it wouldn't come loose causing problems. Everything is pretty normal down there.

Looking in my tank, I can see the wire coming up from the float in the filtration chamber. Mount the magnet vertical, not horizontal like I did, gives you A LOT more room to play with.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey -- I'm feeling the need to add a clam to my tank. Is yours a crocea? Is it still doing OK?

I have palys growing in the spot I plan to use for the clam. Should I try to remove them, or will the clam take care of them? Or, will the palys irritate the clam and make it move?

After my near-disaster power failure, I now have a generator. The tank's been stable so it's time to restock shrimp too. I'll post some more pics on my thread.

Jim-

Yep, it is a crocea and yes it is still doing just fine. It doesn't need much, good light so put it at the top and good water perams, watch your dosing.

Mine is growing around a bunch of zoas, they all seem to get along. The clam will move around them from time to time, maybe a few CM, that is going to be your call. I think they would be fine together, the clam shell is hard and it really doesn't care much of that area.

nice! the crazy things we have to buy to keep reefs.

Jim-

Yep, it is a crocea and yes it is still doing just fine. It doesn't need much, good light so put it at the top and good water perams, watch your dosing.

Mine is growing around a bunch of zoas, they all seem to get along. The clam will move around them from time to time, maybe a few CM, that is going to be your call. I think they would be fine together, the clam shell is hard and it really doesn't care much of that area.

nice! the crazy things we have to buy to keep reefs.

I have a crocea and it has grown about 2 inches in 3 months in my RSM. If you get a crocea just make sure you do not place it in the sand/substrate and place it up on some rocks. For some reason the crocea's are very prone to attack from substrate dwellers such as worms, etc.

I have mine about midway up in the tank under a pretty good flow and like I said it is going crazy. The crocea's like to move around a little bit so be careful because their "foot" attaches to the rocks pretty quickly.

Robert

You will be proud to note that if you google "red sea max 130D" this thread is the first result.

haha, take that Red Sea :)

nice! Mostly becuase it has a lot of "130D" included in many posts. I think if you type in media basket, you come up with a lot of "steviet" as well. Thanks, thats pretty cool.

Hi Steve im new back into the hobby i had a reef tank in 1990 when you just kept corals they didnt grow ,Geting back into it bought a rsm loud but great.Just fitted one tmc led running alongside standard lights then dicided to turn full tmc led. i now have comparment changed to one tmc white one reef blue .and running a tmc reefmix out side of light compartment.growth is outstanding i just wonder how you thought about led .I would love a chat any way thanks T

Steve, Great max, I have one and I love it, I haven't run carbon and I am about to put it in, I am going to get some chemi pure elite and use that also. What all do you have in your tank as to media and what do you dose your tank with on a weekly schedule?

My skimmer works great so I havent upgraded to what you recommend yet.

Also I want to filter the water what do you use?

Thanks

Hi Steve im new back into the hobby i had a reef tank in 1990 when you just kept corals they didnt grow ,Geting back into it bought a rsm loud but great.Just fitted one tmc led running alongside standard lights then dicided to turn full tmc led. i now have comparment changed to one tmc white one reef blue .and running a tmc reefmix out side of light compartment.growth is outstanding i just wonder how you thought about led .I would love a chat any way thanks T

I think LEDs are the future in this hobby, once costs come down it will repleace MH lighting.

What is loud in your tank? The stock skimmer?

Steve, Great max, I have one and I love it, I haven't run carbon and I am about to put it in, I am going to get some chemi pure elite and use that also. What all do you have in your tank as to media and what do you dose your tank with on a weekly schedule?

My skimmer works great so I havent upgraded to what you recommend yet.

Also I want to filter the water what do you use?

Thanks

:welcome:

I use filter floss, purigen and chemi pure elite in my media rack. I dose the tank with C-ballance every other day, I have a lot of SPS and they eat up the calcium pretty quickly. Never dose without testing first to know how often you need to. I also change the water weekly and that adds back in trace elements.

+1

i think stevie took a hiatus from the forums

haha, no just this thread!!!! too busy with the other stuff on N-R. I will try to get some pics taken tonight.

lilredneckman
haha, no just this thread!!!! too busy with the other stuff on N-R. I will try to get some pics taken tonight.
HURRY UP! We want pics!

ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY

Signature16.jpg

Well, it has come and gone but better late than never. My tank is 13 months old with a one month cycle.

Fun Facts:

Date Purchased: August 16, 2007

First Water Change: September 11, 2007

Transfering of Stock from old Tank: September 15, 2007

Amount of Water Changed to date: 153 Gallons

Amount of Salt Used: 96 Cups

Amount of RO Used for Top offs (estimate): 224 Gallons

Facts on the Thread:

To Date:

Views: 97,095

Replies: 1,095

Top Posters:

StevieT 452

Reefmack 71

lilredneckman 42

hazmat 26

Oceanic_30g 25

mandelbloom 23

HankB 19

JimDantin 16

SeeDemTails 16

September 2007:

IMG_1904.jpg

October 2007

IMG_2116.jpg

December 2007

IMG_2701.jpg

February 2008

IMG_3196.jpg

March 2008

IMG_3497.jpg

April 2008

IMG_3546.jpg

May 2008

IMG_4023.jpg

June 2008

IMG_4568.jpg

July 2008

IMG_4754.jpg

August 2008

IMG_5811.jpg

October 2008

IMG_7787.jpg

more to come.........

lilredneckman
:bowdown: :bowdown: You sure have done a great writeup and you tank sure has been through alot but it really looks good! The growth pictures are what really amaze me! Glad to see that it is still standing strong and to me it is the BEST RSM that i have seen so far! Again, Great job StevieT!
:bowdown::bowdown: You sure have done a great writeup and you tank sure has been through alot but it really looks good! The growth pictures are what really amaze me! Glad to see that it is still standing strong and to me it is the BEST RSM that i have seen so far! Again, Great job StevieT!

Thank you sir, shall I say Mr. #2 poster :D

Archived