ReefCleaners.org

Canadian BioCube14

HoomHow

Djbacon: nope the MJ900 is actually less wattage than the stock heater, therefore LESS heat introduced into the tank ... it was all the busted heater ... I don't think the thing would turn off. (do a search on here for an actual comparison of wattage for various pumps including the MJ600, MJ900, MJ1200 and stock pumps)

Mikellini: thank you. Where from? Do you live in an igloo too? ;-) yeah, I love the glowing green. I just have to be careful and try to add some different colours into the tank.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much. I live in Fort McMurray AB, and it's been around -30 C for the past couple of weeks. They no longer say "a high of -28" on the radio, they just say "28". :(

Pretty much. I live in Fort McMurray AB, and it's been around -30 C for the past couple of weeks. They no longer say "a high of -28" on the radio, they just say "28". :(

Ugh, sounds cold... here in Windsor we are protected by a dome of greenhouse gases from Windsor and Detroit. Keeps us a balmy -2 ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I had to write ... Well, today, Jan 24, Tic and Tac, the baby A. Ocellaris are a little less than two months old. I finally released them into the display tank ... after a little looking around and getting used to things they...

DECIDED TO HOST IN MY FROGSPAWN! :-D It is so cool! It is a two headed frogspawn and they are basically dwarfed by it. Very cute. SWMBO and I are very excited :-) I am definitely keeping an I on them ...

Pics to follow once I borrow the camera from the inlaws again ... (grrr, time to go out and buy that Nikon d40) ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Whats Happening HoomHow? Got a silly question for you...How do you get those full size pics on your post. They look so much better thatn the reduced links that I get on mine.

Looking forward to some new shots of your tank :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, it has been awhile and I thought I would update ...

Sadly, Tic and Tac only hosted the frogspawn the first day ... when it closed up at night the abandoned it :-( Oh well. They have since taken up residence on my Hydor Flo attachment in the upper left back corner of the tank ... let me say this is not HALF as exciting as them hosting the frogspawn :confused:

On a good note, today is the first day that Tac started eating small pellet food rather than crushed up cyclopeeze! Yeah! (Tic has been eating for a while!)

Thanks for your interest. Still waiting on the new camera ... doh! ;-)

This is one gorgeous tank, from a fellow Canadian :D lol

Can I ask where you got your tic tac (literally lol) size percs? I can't wait for them to grow bigger for you, and hopefully they host a coral again shortly.

Also, where did you get your Biocube 14g?

Flick :)

This is one gorgeous tank, from a fellow Canadian :D lol

Can I ask where you got your tic tac (literally lol) size percs? I can't wait for them to grow bigger for you, and hopefully they host a coral again shortly.

Also, where did you get your Biocube 14g?

Flick :)

Sent PM :-)

Looking awesome HH !! -

Bummer that the clowns arent into your FS...maybe in time. I just picked up a clown and it wont get OUT of my hammer coral...crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

A sad sad day :(

Well fellow reefers, yesterday was a sad day in my household. I came home from work and couldn't find Tac, the smaller Occie. After much searching I pulled out the MJ900 from the back chamber and found him dead on the intake valve ... apparently he jumped over the back wall into chamber 3 and was no match for the pump intake ... :-(

Tic looks very lonely. I didn't think fish could look sad ... :(

stratosphere

Oh, that's so sad! My condolences...

I have been following along on your thread and just wanted to say thank you for the great info, pics and updates--your tank is beautiful and definitely something to aspire to for me!

Oh man. Im sorry Hoomhow, I've read about people modifying the cube after such disasters somewhere on here. You'll have to find tic a new tac :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty then! A happy update! As of last week Tic has a brand new pal! Let me introduce you to “Tactoo” ….!

DSC_0019.jpg

Born in Feburary this little guy was purchased last week amongst all his brothers and sisters from Choice Aquariums (thanks Brent!) Currently he is in the sour cream container until he gets a little bigger …. Here is a top down shot to show his size relative to the tank ;-) So tiny! So cute!

DSC_0014.jpg

Last night he hoped out of the container and had his first foray into the main display. He and Tic got along great! It was interesting, Tic normally keeps to herself in the top corner by the Hydor Flo. After Tactoo jumped in Tic was all over the place exploring :)

Here is an updated FTS (April 1, 2008) Sorry it is kinda crappy. Still getting used to the new camera. Lol

DSC_0023.jpg

The pics were taken with a Nikon D40, with the kit lens (18-55mm)

Hey congrats on the new addition, (and the new camera) tank is looking great - I finally taking the plunge and buyiong that lighting upgrade you have.

hahhaha tactoo - shouldnt it be tacTwo? priceless :D

Hey congrats on the new addition, (and the new camera) tank is looking great - I finally taking the plunge and buyiong that lighting upgrade you have.

hahhaha tactoo - shouldnt it be tacTwo? priceless :D

PS - I figured "TacTwo" would be too obvious ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, it has been a little while since my last update. Here are some shots taken with my NEW Nikon D40 (great camera, but a LOT of things to learn about) ;)

Tank Parms are all in order. I had an issue with my Trochus and Cerith snails dying ... don't really know why ... Astreas are doing well though. I have a bit of an algae problem as you can see from some of the pics (trying very hard to keep that under control -- have modded a fuge onto the back of chamber 2 and the chaeto is growing like crazy!! It is awesome!)

Here are the pics! Enjoy! And feel free to comment ... (my next step is to set the white balance parameters on my camera).

FTS - April 30, 2008

***Note: you can see Tic (the bigger one) and Tactoo (the smaller one in the back corner) They are great, swimming all over the tank now. Still haven't hosted anything ... I may try posting a pic of some clowns hosting a Frogspawn ... ;)

DSC_0036.jpg

My Blasto Merletti eating some mysis ...

DSC_0006.jpg

Caulastrea engorged after eating some mysis ...

DSC_0071.jpg

Maze Brain ... it was recently bothered by my emerald crab crawling all over it, so it is a bit retracted ... anyone know why it seems to be "lifting up" from the rock on the right hand side? Kinda odd ...

DSC_0012.jpg

Nuclear Greens

DSC_0050.jpg

Whammin' Watermellons

DSC_0051.jpg

Bam Bams??? (I love these)

DSC_0052.jpg

Purple Deaths (I kinda expected them to be more purple ...)

DSC_0054.jpg

Devil's Hand

DSC_0061.jpg

and Hollywood's "Infernos" (Picked up as a single polyp at the Lansing Swap back in February) and a Flourescent Red 'Shroom

DSC_0075.jpg

I hope you enjoyed the pics. I am loving the saltwater hobby. Thanks to all who have helped and given great information. I appreciate it! I am already looking forward to upgrading my tank ;-)

Great work hoomhow !! Love the pics, especially of the blasto eatiing mysis half their size :-)

your zoas look great

yeah amazing how fast the lsst 4 months went by !!

• 2 weeks later...

I had same thing happen,one morning woke up couldnt find my black clown so looked in back and he was hanging out with pump.....After like 5 mins of trying to get him out he was back where he was supposed to be.The next day i took a piece of plastic from a cheap lid deal from walmart and cut it so would extend the back wall on my bio so could never happen again.Can get pic if want to see

• 1 month later...

A very quick update for those of you following along ....

FTS - June 26, 2008

DSC_0184.jpg

DSC_0185.jpg

Mick

DSC_0187.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

I will post more whenever I find some time! LOL

• 1 month later...

FTS - August 1, 2008

DSC_0290.jpg

Tarzan (little orange dude) and Jane (bigger reddish chick)

DSC_0349-1.jpg

DSC_0292.jpg

DSC_0298.jpg

DSC_0302.jpg

Mick

DSC_0271.jpg

DSC_0278.jpg

DSC_0274-2.jpg

A few more ...

A Crab Eating Polyp ... (or was it a molt?)

Crabeatingpolyp1.jpg

Crabeatingpolyp2.jpg

Hungry Blastos

HungryBlasto.jpg

A Hungry Chalice

HungryChalice.jpg

Anyone have any idea what this thing under the rock is????? -confused

IDpleasesponge.jpg

Archived