HoomHow

Canadian BioCube14

HoomHow

Thanks dude! I have to attribute it to SWMBO "She who must be obeyed" -- My wife lol

I appreciate the feedback. It is nice to know people are following along. ;-)

HoomHow

Bump for comments?

dopamine

you switch from MH to PC?

HoomHow

No, have always had PC .... bought the BC14 used with the nanotuner's 3 x 24 w upgrade .... MH I WISH!!! ;-)

dopamine

oh, i must have read it wrong or maybe the switch from the LFS to your tank?

2) My Striped Green Mushrooms looked like they had patches of grey "dead" matter on it --> nope, much better now ... I believe it was the adjustment from a MH light to PC .. they are happier

HoomHow

Yeah, they were under MH lighting when I bought them as frags ... PC in my tank. ;-)

TUDIZZLE

Nice pic updates. have you tried using the macro setting on your camera. It will help you get less blurry pics so you can show off your beautiful coral like they deserve.

Looking nice...keep up the good work

HoomHow

Yeah, it is a CyberShot point and shoot ... I tried the macro setting and that seem to be the best I could get ... waiting on a DSLR ;-)

HoomHow

Alright, today I introduced a small emerald crab into the mix ;-) Should be intersting. He went to work right away ....

Also added 3 snails .. unsure of the names: they are black with round shells. Climbin' all over the glass, sand and rocks ... I think they are the most effective so far!!! Any help with the name?

Also bought a phosphate test. Yup, just as I suspected: High Approx 0.5-0.75 ppm (hard to tell cuz it is a crappy API test) .... Also bought a phosphate sponge type remover so I will keep an eye on that ... I am going to guess that the high phosphates are from feedin once every two days .... gotta get this down pat ... (I don't really need to feed cuz I have mostly corals --and Mick the YWG)

I will keep you up to date.

Oh, also bought Coral Frenzy as food. Anyone tried it? The LFS said it was popular.

RIKennedy

Update Update Update!!!

HoomHow

Alright, now for a much anticipated update with PICS! As you will see, there have been many additions since my last update. I am quite happy with everything and am now looking forward to watching the tank grow in.

And now for the pics. I will post some "growth" shots as well as I find them.

FTS – Nov 1, 2007

Pics368_resize.jpg

FTS – Nov 8, 2007

Pics006_resize.jpg

FTS - Dec 30, 2007

FTS-Dec302007.jpg

FTS (left side) - Dec 30, 2007

FTSleft-Dec302007.jpg

FTS (right side) - Dec 30, 2007

FTSright-Dec302007.jpg

Here are some Zoos. I put the names I have for them above them. If you guys see any corrections, please let me know!

#1 - Whammin Watermelons - Nov

Pics023_resize.jpg

Whammin Watermelons - Dec

Zoo-WhamminWatermelons.jpg

#2 - Tubb's Blues

Zoo-TubbsBlue.jpg

#3 - Safecrackers

Zoo-Safecrackers.jpg

#4 - Purple Deaths

Zoo-PurpleDeaths.jpg

#5 - Bam Bams

Zoo-OrangeBamBams.jpg

#6 - Nuclear Greens

Zoo-NuclearGreens.jpg

Again, if you think these are called something else, let me know :-)

Edited by HoomHow

HoomHow

Yellow Polyps - Nov

Pics366_resize.jpg

Yellow Polyps - Dec

YellowPolyps.jpg

Yellow Fiji Leather

YellowFiji.jpg

YellowFiji2.jpg

Remember the GSP and Orange Zoos I was thinking of splitting? Here is the GSP with one leftover BamBam in the mix ;-)

Nov

Pics371_resize.jpg

Dec

GreenStarPolyps.jpg

Remember the Green Hairy Mushroom that had a hole in the middle?

Nov

Pics024_resize.jpg

Dec

GreenHairyMushrooms.jpg

Xenia - Nov

Pics374_resize.jpg

Xenia - Dec

Xenia.jpg

Some Mushrooms

WatermelonsMazeFlrstRed.jpg

SupermanMushroom.jpg

Sinularia - Nov

Pics009_resize.jpg

Sinularia - Dec

Sinularia.jpg

Edited by HoomHow

HoomHow

Here are some neon green palys?? Can someone confirm? One of my favorites. They light up amazingly under actinics!

NeonGreenpalys.jpg

NeonGreenPalystop.jpg

Mick, the Yellow Watchman Goby is still alive and doing very well. Not as shy ;-)

Mick-YWG.jpg

Maze Brain

MazeBrain.jpg

Devil's Hand

DevilsHand.jpg

"Crabface" our Emerald Crab

Crabface.jpg

..and some Green Button Palys that are growing like weeds ...

Nov

Pics377_resize.jpg

Dec

GreenButtonPolypsright.jpg

Trumpet Coral

Nov

Pics011_resize.jpg

Dec

TrumpetCoralCaulestrea.jpg

Thanks again for looking. Any comments are definitely appreciated. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

PS - also, one of my favourite Christmas gifts from my loving wife - a Refractometer! ;-)

Edited by HoomHow

animan

Nice job there HoomHow... good growth in the corals! Are you dosing anything to the tank?

Also, love the fiji leather frag... I want one!

HoomHow

In case some of you haven't been following some of my other posts on this site, let me introduce you to our two new little ones ...

Born Dec 11, 2007. A. Ocellaris A little young I know, but they are already growing like weeds and eating flake foods (and they really seem to enjoy Coral Frenzy every now and again ...)

Named: Tic and Tac

TicandTac1.jpg

TicandTac7.jpg

TicandTac10.jpg

TicandTac9-1.jpg

TicandTac8.jpg

And just so you can get an idea of their size ... I own a BC14 (yes, they are a little bigger than TicTacs) ;-)

FullshotwithTicandTac.jpg

FullShot-TicandTac.jpg

And a shot of their home within a home: a sour cream container with nylon stocking. This helps prevent them from being eaten by a) Mick, our Yellow Watchman Goby, b)some of the LPS corals, and c) sucked into the filter. ;-)

TandTsetup2.jpg

Thanks for your interest! Any and all comments are welcome. Have a great New Year!

Edited by HoomHow

HoomHow

Animan: nope, no dosing. Just keeping up with regular water changes once a week of about 2-3 gallons alternating between Instant Ocean and Reef Crystal salts. I am excited. I am beginning to see new coralline algae growth. Today I even found some on my back wall! Excellent ....

HoomHow

Bump for comments?

thapatient

i really like your tank. keep up the good work.

p.s. fellow canadian!!!

lil'wrasse cool

Thumbs up!!! Canadian eh! the only thing I'd say is ya gotta do something nicer looking then the sour cream container...Cause I'm sure when someone looks at your tank the first thing they see is that...with pantie hoes hanging off yet lol...hmmm reminds of fat camp yummm...

HoomHow

Thanks people. Yup, Canadian to the core ;-) and yes, I know the sour cream container has to go ... as soon as the baby Ocellaris grow up they will be gone ...

pprwngs

Hey love the tank! I was trying to figure out what that container was in som of the pics LOL kinda ghetto but it works I'm sure! Anywho the chaeto is to get rid of phosphates, right? If so you know GSP and Xenia do the same or so I've read and they look nicer!

With that said your tank is sweet and as they say in Canada "the power of the force has stopped you, you nobs" or do they just say that in Strange Brew???

Djbacon

Greetings Canada ! And thanks for your advice yesterday. I read your thread today and am impressed with what you have doene with the cube thus far !! Nice work. Im thinking now hat I need to add more LR to my own tank. Everything i have read says not to stack it against the rear wall for ease of cleaning but all the beautiful thanks I see on NR seem to back right up the rear wall. Maybe its because everything I have read is for more conventional rectangular tanks.

Any problems with the rear wall issue? Also, was it difficult to make the pump mod to your tank? Im just geting started here but fear that the stock pump will not be enough for some coral at roughly 10x

Cheers!

HoomHow

No probs, just dropped the MJ900 in and we were good to go.

As for the back wall, mine is stacked but I am not too worried about coraline algae growing on it (therefore no need to clean it). Actually, I am contemplating gluing some GSP and maybe my xenia to the back wall and allow it to spread from there ... still in the contemplating stage tho.

pprwngs: LoL, no I haven't seen Strange Brew, but it does seem like something we'd say. Interesting points about the Xenia and GSP ...

Djbacon
No probs, just dropped the MJ900 in and we were good to go.

As for the back wall, mine is stacked but I am not too worried about coraline algae growing on it (therefore no need to clean it). Actually, I am contemplating gluing some GSP and maybe my xenia to the back wall and allow it to spread from there ... still in the contemplating stage tho.

pprwngs: LoL, no I haven't seen Strange Brew, but it does seem like something we'd say. Interesting points about the Xenia and GSP ...

When you dropped the MJ900 in there do you believe the wattage increase was the cause of your temperature spike, in any way realted, or was it all the bad heater.

Im think I want to make as many of the upcoming mods as possible during the first couple days here so I do not upset the delicate balance of these things later.

Edited by Djbacon

mikellini

Very nice. Another canuck here as well. I have some of those green zoos with the white stripe too. It all started when one of them morphed out of the center of a large colony of orange zoos. I fragged it, it spread a little, died, and then 3 little ones sprang up from the remnants. Slow growing so far, but it's really nice under the actinics as you said