Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Canadian BioCube14

HoomHow

Alright, now crab-less (and probably a few pods-less as well). After trying the tilted glass with brine shrimp at the bottom in front of the crab hole to no avail, I broke down and pulled out the rock .... a couple squeezes of ice cold FW from the turkey baster, a couple shakes and out he came. I will try and grab a pic .... blackish body, red eyes -- don't really care, he is a crab :P

So I rearranged the live rock a bit because of this ....i don't know if I like it as well, we shall see .... also, the left over brine shrimp is now floating in the BioCube ... If this rotting doesn't kick start the cycle, i don't know what will ....

To infinity!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some pics (really crappy I know --- remember? broken camera, still not fixed) sorry

One is of the crab, currently eating his last meal in a bucket (salmon pieces)

The other is of the new aquascape ... any thoughts?

Thanks!

post-31130-1191367165_thumb.jpg

post-31130-1191367189_thumb.jpg

CRAP! another crab .... this one I KNOW is a bad guy .... smaller than the last but I can see is dark black pointy claws poking out of a hole ....

Ok, two glass in the tank on their side, this time with a piece of frozen salmon at the bottom (as opposed to brine shrimp) ...

Now I lie in wait .......

Aside from that, tested yesterday

ph 8.2

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 20

Going to take a water sample in for testing as soon as I can locate a decent LFS ......

Alright, as of today, still have the crab ... i left one shot glass with salmon still in the tank .... not too sure which hole he is hiding in at the moment .... GRRRRRR

Went to the LFS to have my parameters checked ...

pH 8.0

Ammonia 0.5

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 20

SG 1.025-1.026

He used the Aquarium Pharmacies test for the above and a hydrometer for the SG.... is that normal (to use tests and a hydrometer that I can use myself at home)? Not exactly a SW store mind you ... don't think I will go back ...

But I am glad to see my Ammonia spike ... I will keep an eye on it and if it gets much higher I will do a partial water change to soft cycle ...... ALTHOUGH, if I did a hard cycle it may kill the crab, wouldn't it? Would the 'pods' and worms and things also die????

just let your aquarium cycle. don't do any water changes during the cycle. it will screw up the cycle and make it last a lot longer than normal.

i hope you didn't pay the guy at the store to test your aquarium with AP kits and a hydrometer..

Tim

Absolutely not!!! I dunno, I think he charges more for the university crowd here in town....

What tests do they normally use? I assume at least a refractometer ....

Do you think the 'pods will be killed off by the high level of ammonia?

Thanks SuphaTim!

supreme_spork
ALTHOUGH, if I did a hard cycle it may kill the crab, wouldn't it? Would the 'pods' and worms and things also die????

sadly, the first law of reef keeping is that nothing ever kills the things you don't want. :)

Alright, the crab is here by REMOVED!!! Speared with a pair of scissors :ninja:

I did, however, find a MASSIVE worm ... no word yet on the kind ... really pink and centipede like ... do bristleworms with grey bodies lose the grey as they get older? This thing has to be at least 10 inches long ... very very sensitive to light.... crazy ... i will leave him for now ... :haha:

haha yay! the worm is probably either a bristle worm or a fireworm. both very beneficial.

your observations of your new aquarium is making me want to start up another one.. :P

Tim

Thanks guys.

DarkLyte ... how about an update on your tank? Looks good :-)

Thanks Supah ... it is one GIGANTIC worm ... hidin out now ...

Still waiting for the inlaws camera ... I will get you guys some shots! This is EXCITING!

i will have a update soon.. there hasnt been much because i just moved back to the bay area last month and settled in with a new job. i am going to Hong Kong in 2 weeks for a week so after all that is done i will prob get a yellow watchman goby and a new cleaner shrimp

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, tomorrow is Week 4 and all my params are 0, well Nitrates are 20 but a water change will fix that. Went out and bought my CUC. Let me tell you, it is very exciting to have something moving in there other than 'pods and a few small star hitchhikers.

So, here is what we have ...

1 small pep shrimp -- whom the wife named "Dave" (pretty funny cause he likes to hide and a frequent comment is "Where's Dave" and my reply, "Dave's not here man") lol

3 Nasarius snails

1 Cerinth (and one baby Cerinth hitchhiker)

2 small blue legged hermits

1 small zebra hermit

1 margarita snail

1 Asterna(sp?) snail

All in all I am happy. Just takin it slow ... ;-)

Plans for purchasing in two weeks include a small (hopefully female) emerald crab, a few more Cerinths, a few scarlet hermits, a small fire shrimp, a small skunk cleaner.

Any thoughts on which to add first? corals or fish?

My fish plans are either a) a pair of ocillaris clowns and a yellow watchman goby or

B) an ocillaris clown, a YWG, and a Banggai Cardinal ....

If ever I get a working camera I will post pics! :-)

Oh, also bought some Chemi-Pure Elite that I will start adding in the next few days as well as a few pieces of LR rubble with some nice Coraline algae on it to hopefully "seed" my LR.

Congrats on the next phase of your tank. It is cool to finally have something to watch that is active.

I think adding corals first is best. The bioload added to the tank is much smaller w/ corals and it will also limit the amount of food/waste you are putting into your nano. This will give your tank plenty of time to develop and prepare for the bioload of fish and regular feedings.

Kewl, thanks Tudizzle ... I was kinda thinkin along the same lines .... well, ok, maybe I am just excited to see some purdy colours in my tank ;-)

Update: Hopefully I will steal my inlaws' camera to show you some pics in the very near future! Stolen! YEAH!

FTS - Nov 1, 2007

Pics368_resize.jpg

Params:

temp 79 degress (pretty darn constant)

Amm: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 10-20 with a full 4 gallon water change done a few days ago

Alright, two days ago I added some fun things to my tank ....

SWMBO and I liked our feather duster so much that we bought another ;-) LOVE IT!

Pics374_resize.jpg

I was really trying to hold back and be patient but the LFS had a Yellow Watchman Gobie for $4.99 -- bought it. The first few hours after I acclimated him he looked a little grey but I read that they sometimes do that when stressed .... 2 days later (today) he is very happy, eating and bright yellow with some neon blue specks in his cheeks -- so cool! He is named "Mick" (as in Jagger) becuase of his HUMONGOUS lips! lol

Also picked up a skunk clear whom SWMBO named "Flower" --> remember Bambi? Yes, the skunk didn't mind being called flower.

Flower

Pics387_resize.jpg

Dave - Peppermint Shrimp

Pics385_resize.jpg

I got a great deal from a local reefer on some zoa frags although I think one is a palythoa (no matt, just a head)

???

Pics383_resize.jpg

Same kind, different rock

Pics376_resize.jpg

- neon green zoa

Pics381_resize.jpg

Pics382_resize.jpg

- one flourescent orange zoa (with some GSP growing WAY TOO CLOSE -- see thread on what I should do about this) -- both are growing out of a purple coloured "mat", with one darker than the other.

Pics371_resize.jpg

- one flourescent green harry mushroom -- very cool

Pics375_resize.jpg

- one stalk of pulsing xenia -- again, very cool and already pulsing wildly.

- also I think they are the palythoa, but they have an extended stalk (head) with the actual disc on top. Orange tentacles and outer ring with a neon green center.

Pics383_resize.jpg

- and one awesome Yellow Polyp colony

Pics366_resize.jpg

So, all in all, I love my tank and am very excited. I have some issues with getting the neon green zoas to attach but I will play around with that when I get home. Edit - you can see the elastic band.

If anyone can ID any of the zoas/palys that would be GREAT!

Thanks again for your help. I know the pics make things more interesting ;p

pretty exciting! it is so scary buying things for the first time! I dont want to kill anything or mess it up. I glues a rock of neon green star polyp to another rock last night...pretty crazy.

first their daughter now their camera...hahaha

Nice new editions. I really like feather dusters too but they never show up around here.

looks like button polyps in the 5-6th pics. They can grow pretty fast and overtake some stuff so keep an eye on um

If you want to try and id you zoas check out zoaid.com. I prefer to make up my own names.

looking good!

Wow HoomHow, I am really tired right now but it took me a solid 10 seconds to realize that there wasn't actually a bug on my LCD, it was just your avatar!!

Oh, and nice tank!

Nov 9th, 2007 ... Alright, done shopping for a while. Got some great deals with local traders/hobbyists. Thanks guys! As always, let me know what you think about selection and placement in the tank. As a newb I am bound to make some mistakes but I am definitely willing to learn from them. (Hopefully they are limited by the amount of reading/learning/searching I have done...) :happy:

Tank Params

Temp 79 degrees

Nitrate: 20 (yes, going to do a WC however I am having issues with a 2nd NEW stealth heater I bought) GRRR!

Lighting: 3 X 24w PC (one 50/50, one 10K, one actinic)

LIVESTOCK

1 peppermint shrimp "Dave"

1 skunk cleaner "Flower"

1 Yellow Watchman Goby "Mick"

FTS

Pics006_resize.jpg

Left Side

Pics016_resize.jpg

Right Side

Pics018_resize.jpg

Top Down with ID

Pics019_TopDownIDwithPaint.jpg

Zoo Rock with feather duster, yellow polyps, and others ;-) Love this pic.

Pics015_resize.jpg

Frogspawn and "Flower"

Pics014_resize.jpg

ID??? SafeCracker Zooz?

Pics013_resize.jpg

Blasto M, Strped Grn Mush and Nuclear Greens

Pics012_resize.jpg

Caulastrea and Xenia

Pics011_resize.jpg

Sinularia

Pics009_resize.jpg

Whammin Watermelons?

Pics023_resize.jpg

Mick and his blue dots

Pics003_resize.jpg

Mick in his cave

Pics001_resize.jpg

Thanks for lookin'! and Thanks for your help!

Alright, params as of today:

Temp: 79 degrees

Nitrate: 10

If you caught some of my other threads I was kinda of panicky the last few days ...

1) My sinularia was drooping --> better now, as perky as ever

2) My Striped Green Mushrooms looked like they had patches of grey "dead" matter on it --> nope, much better now ... I believe it was the adjustment from a MH light to PC .. they are happier

3) Still watching this one -- my Green hairy mushroom developed a HOLE where his mouth used to be ... someone suggested that it was splitting ... hmmm, I can kinda see that .... He looks healthy other than the hole which IS getting bigger and DOES look like he will break into two ... I dunno ... any suggestions?

Pics027_resize.jpg

Pics026_resize.jpg

Thanks to everyone who helped ease my mind ... geesh, wait till my wife and I have kids! lol

Archived