SaltCritters.com

New Current Solana Tank

Savager

Been looking forward to an update on the ATO system. Any other information, likes and dislikes would be great. I am still bouncing around between this tank, the 30G Finnex M-Tank, and the Cadlights (which I think is not being produced at the moment...so I might not be able to find one). But the Solana is still on the radar, controversial light and all (I dig it).

Thanks for the info!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ATO works - i go through about 1 of those bottles a day - w/out the glass top on.

It's just gravity fed - when the water level lowers, air is able to get into the bottles opening, and water comes out. simple & easy.

--marco

• 2 weeks later...

tank is coming along - added a clownfish last week, but he jumped out yesterday morning - even with the glass top on, he jumped through the front corners.

added a few corals that i took from my 265g tank. pics soon.

thought it was time for an update. The pictures suck, but that's due to the camera's white balance being WAY off. The BF had a rock slide in his tank and a few corals broke so I'm housing the frags for him for a while. Everything but the clam is from his tank. I rescued my clam back from my mom who has been housing all my stuff from my last tank tear down.

100_0588.jpg

100_0580.jpg

100_0570.jpg

100_0557.jpg

100_0552.jpg

100_0550.jpg

100_0548.jpg

100_0525.jpg

100_0579.jpg

100_0585.jpg

100_0554.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if you could take a picture of you next to the light or a picture of a ruler with the light, I like the light a lot and need some perspective of someone next to the light so I can see how big it is

I just started cycling my Solana yesterday! I'm really excited. I am running into a few problems though.

1. My skimmer was working good the first day, but today the foam isn't getting up and over the top of the tube. Any guesses?

2. HEAT! My tank is sitting between 81-83...and I have the light pretty far up off the water. What is yours running at?

Thanks!

Tetsugen, not sure where they are located other than the USA, check with your LFS, they may be able to order one for you. Or check at www.current-usa.com/solana for ordering information.

Dirt4dinner, My tank when first cycling would run at a very cool 89 degrees...with glasstop on I topped 90. This was with light all the way down...now that I've raised the light I'm between 80 & 82 which is alot better. I personally recommend a chiller/fans with controller with this light. It is just too hot for the small tank. check the water level on the tank, and clean the black sponge...when I don't clean my sponge daily my skimmate production goes way down.

Giga, I believe this light is 11" across and about 11" tall. It's big, I'll be taking some pics for Dirt tonight and will see if I can't get some pics of the light with a measuring tape for you, or some sort of reference. All I can say is that it is huge.

I actually had about 3 minutes tonight to take a few pictures of the new aquascaping I did. I'm also adding a picture of the skimmer, not that you can tell it is tilting or anything, but it does...and a picture of the light with a 7oz can of whip cream. Sorry for the amature shot, as I was having to do it by myself.

picofskimmer112007.jpg

SizeofLightto7ozWhippedCream.jpg

Still having Temperature issues! This pic was taken at 11pm tonight...

112007TankTemp.jpg

112007side.jpg

112007otherside.jpg

My only Fish! So far!

112007Myfish.jpg

112007Front.jpg

the one i set up is steady at around 80 during the day with a 150w sunpod fixture over it

but this one has a sump and a lot of water flow and im gunna put some fans on the top eventually

To be honest, I have no clue what the white spots are, they are all over in the back chambers. Being a Noobie to this, I thought at first that they were Flat Worms, but the BF said that it wasn't and that they are good...so I've left them, I do tend to have to clean the back panel more cause I don't like the look of them on it...I wouldn't mind it being Coraline, but would also hope that it stays black. Just as long as it isn't the white dots. Makes it look in pictures like Microbubbles too...

are the white spots those jelly fish things that clings onto glass and back wall?

dont those things drive you NUTS?

they drive me nuts too. at first it was "oh, i love biodiversity, everything new is so interesting". now they've taken over the panes of my glass if I don't wipe it every couple days.

Do you know what they are?

Hydroids could be them for sure...but I have a feeling the ones in question are just snail eggs. The hydroids are a little more fun to look at close, snail eggs are just tiny round dots. Either way, it's just nature doing it's thing in your living room. Enjoy it!

Looking at the pictures of the Hydroids I can safely say that it is NOT them...these things are round and thin and make a small curl upwards...I'll see if I can't get a good picture of them this weekend, they are really cool...I wouldn't doubt that it is some sort of egg, but dont want to assume...the back of the tank is covered in them and every once in a while they show up on the black background in the display. I'll see if I can't get a good behind the tank shot this weekend, since the tank sits about 4-5 inches from the wall it's going to be hard to get a good shot. That and my $300 camera really sucks (which was supposed to be decent)...it's time for an upgrade...it's on my list of purchasable things, but unfortunately it's falling under the ACJR and the Chiller.

And Yes I figured Rediwhip was a good match when it took the KY to get the back panel of the stand in...Just keeping with theme.

Those are just little tiny feather dusters. It's a sign of a good healthy tank. If you look really close at a larger one you will probably see the little feather sticking out. You can't get rid of them, but hopefully with a healthy tank coraline algae will fill in the back wall.

Those are just little tiny feather dusters. It's a sign of a good healthy tank. If you look really close at a larger one you will probably see the little feather sticking out. You can't get rid of them, but hopefully with a healthy tank coraline algae will fill in the back wall.

But I'm not crazy about coraline Algae, I really could live with out it. Makes you have to stick your hands into the tank more often for cleaning. Equipment will need cleaned more, and possibly replaced more often. My rock is full of feather dusters. I mean I really hit the jackpot when it comes to that stuff...My mom and sisters tanks don't have close to a tenth of the feather dusters as I do. They have a 120 & 75...there are other things besides the mini dusters growing in that tank. Guess that could be part of the stuff in the back compartments. I'll take pics....so you guys can help. I know the BF said it's good stuff, but won't tell me what, so I'm turning to you guys for help...I'd really like to know so when someone asks I can answer.

Just received my Solana the other day and LOVE it!! Do you all have problems with micro bubbles getting into the tank from the skimmer?? If so how long does this last ? Or what did you do to get rid of this problem??

Any help would be appreciated!

Kev

Just received my Solana the other day and LOVE it!! Do you all have problems with micro bubbles getting into the tank from the skimmer?? If so how long does this last ? Or what did you do to get rid of this problem??

Any help would be appreciated!

Kev

My micro bubbles only lasted a few days. I also found that a middle chamber full of live rock rubble helped out. Don't sweat it though, they didn't last more than 3 or 4 days.

Archived