Top Shelf Aquatics

New Current Solana Tank

Savager

oh man, ELOS needs to setup into the nano game now too. looks like current beat them to the nice frameless nano tanks... CADlights doesn't count =P

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
oh man, ELOS needs to setup into the nano game now too. looks like current beat them to the nice frameless nano tanks... CADlights doesn't count =P

Im right there with you high end nano im tagging along with the rc thread The ATO looks interesting is it a pump driven ATO??? or gravity ATO???

from the picture of the back chambers, the ATO resevoir looks like a water bottle gravity feeding... but it looks like as much water that would evaporate in a day, so you'd probably topping THAT off just as often =P

thats what i was thinking it would be better to add your own ATO with an open you would evap a ton of H20

The nice thing about the solana is that the tank comes with a glass top. You just slide the clips onto the rimless sides and presto chango you add the top and can't even tell it is there. The first night we left the top off cause I wanted an open top tank (might still end up doing that but need to see how much evaporates with the lights on) I lost probably 2 inches of water. The second night I put the glass top on and didn't loose even a noticeable amount of water. With the two bottles you have with this tank for ATO, your good to go maybe a night or two. I tend to keep my tank very full so that I can go a few days with out adding water.

that's definitely not cutting it as a ATO system =P My tank can go for 2 weeks without needing to refill the ATO resevoir. 10 gallons for two weeks for a 40g breeder frag tank cooled by fans.

that's definitely not cutting it as a ATO system =P My tank can go for 2 weeks without needing to refill the ATO resevoir. 10 gallons for two weeks for a 40g breeder frag tank cooled by fans.

At this point I don't have the ATO's installed. they are sitting on my kitchen counter. I have nothing in the tank right now but 3 peices of live rock. The day that I added water it was maybe a gallon or gallon and half. I'm sure we will end up moding the crap out of this tank, I was really just looking for a rimless tank with black silicone. I want a tank like my boyfriends where I don't have to mess with it. I'm currently looking to find a AquaController Jr and possibly a calcium reactor since this tank will be mostly SPS. I hate adding stuff to the tank every few days. I may just have to, but at this point, there are already talks of modding the skimmer to have it drain into a 2 liter bottle, or 2 gal jug so you don't have to clean daily (the collection cup is about the size of a 1 cup measuring cup), upgrading the pump for better flow (don't get me wrong, it has ok flow, but not enough, you can never have enough). upgrading the light fixture, but we're still waiting for current-usa to send us a replacement bulb since the one was damaged in shipping and trying to decide on how to get LED's in the fixture and the MH not melting the bulbs/wires. they could have really designed the light fixture better, but I do really like it.

hey guys,

I'm the bf ... with the "tanginator" tank (265g).

My personal take on this tank ...

The ATO leaves a little to be desired - but we can work with that ... we might just make that a kalk topoff, or 2 part topoff. We will have to play with that.

The skimmer seems to be built decent. Only had it out once, and wasn't paying too much attention to it to be quiet honest. It is a little loud though, and I really wish they'd have put some thought into the wire management, and lenth of wires.

The cables are too short on these pumps, and there are no cutouts int he rear glass for the wires to disappear seamlessly under the edge - the tank is 20" tall all around, so the wires pop over the rear edge - very visible. :-(

As far as Cristinas comment for a CA Rx - there shouldn't be a need for that ... nothing that 1g a week water change couldn't take care off ... i think now. The flow is decent ... not sure how much more of a pump the overflow could handle to be quiet honest - w/out measuring it, i believe the opening is only about 2-3" wide ... not alot of flow is going to go through there, or the sponge that sits in it.

As she already mentioned, the bulb was buste - no big deal .. happens.

The glass top had a very small chip int he right front mirte cut - I very much doubt this would've happened from shipping, as the mirte cut edge is recessed in the square cardboard packaging, and I'd hoep the glass top is tempered - tempered glass doesn't chip like that, i don't believe. So this would have had to happen during cutting, or polishing of the edge, pre tempering.

The cabinet was a PITA to put together, and I just spoke with another LFS that has one on display - they had the same issues as we had. The rear pannel (pressed wood) is a little too think for the slot cut into the LEFT & RIGHT side pieces - it took us a rubber mallet, and KY to convince the panel where it shoudl go ... the screws are cheap, and love to snap heads + round out the heads. I'd NOT use their scres next time.

As for the glass tank itself - quality seems up to par!

--marco

and after looking, and doing the math - the actual volume of this tank would be more along the lines of 25g - 27g before sand/rock displacement ...

I added:

2 x Blue Legs

2 x Red Legs

2 x Astrea Snails

2 x misc baby snails

into the tank last night ... during last nights power out, thanks to a blown overhead transformer 2 backyards down, we looked at the tank with a flashlight ... LOTS of pods, shrimp & other good stuff floating around. This is the reason why i used the rocks out of my sump.

Tonight I added my dead PBT into her tank ... this will creata NASTY mess for abotu 2 weeks i'd say, but her tank will appreciate it in the end. I like cycling tanks the harsh way, but I've always had great results this way.

The skimmer is already going nuts - seems to finally have slimed up enough to produce and bring the bubbles up it's neck.

I Believe this tank will be run by an AC Jr in the end, when? I don't know. I will most likely build a little swing arm that comes off the side of the stand to hold the AC Jr controller.

--marco

do you have pics of your tank

Cam Barr, There is a link to pictures of our tank under a posting done by me earlier in the day. The link takes you to a site I'm a member of, if you were to hit the next button it would show you one other picture of the tank. I'm sure we'll be taking more soon, but right now I have a Powder Blue that is dead in it and to me that is extremely gross, but we're cycling the tank the hard way. I've got the time to wait. Wiszmaster will make sure I don't rush this process.

I saw this tank on nanotuners.com listed as Current-USA Solana 34g Aquarium w/glass top & filter system for $349.95 a steel in my book, but looked like they didn't have any in stock. I wonder if it also includes the top-off system didn't include the light or stand. The light was listed for $297 I think. I'd rather put a sunpod on that thing then get the funny light that goes with it.

I saw this tank on nanotuners.com listed as Current-USA Solana 34g Aquarium w/glass top & filter system for $349.95 a steel in my book, but looked like they didn't have any in stock. I wonder if it also includes the top-off system didn't include the light or stand. The light was listed for $297 I think. I'd rather put a sunpod on that thing then get the funny light that goes with it.

Yes the tank is quite affordable and does include the ATO. The ATO thought is just two gravity fed bottles that are stuck into holes drilled in the third chamber in the back. I've heard that Nano-tuners is back ordered three months on this tank from the LFS that I purchased my tank from. And don't forget to add shipping costs for the tank, it wasn't cheap.

In regards to the light fixture. If you don't like the one that comes with the tank, think about possibly purchasing a MH/T5 fixture and having it hang from brackets off the wall or from the ceiling. It would look very sharp. I however like the look of the fixture, just wish it had some sort of Moon lights.

Dear kimosabe,

Please quit trying to take the training wheels off bike that you have not received! Hanukkah still many moons away, and until then - there no bike!

Zenk U,

URFRIEND

fish soup!

100_0495.JPG

Here is the 34g w/ the light:

(pics taken with P&S camera - No WB or Color correction)

100_0491.JPG

100_0492.JPG

100_0499.JPG

Both of them together:

100_0496.JPG

Mine:

100_0498.JPG

Heya Wisz...I like your setup...

I realize its a large tank...but damn thats a lot of fisheesss

I haved read this whole thread...but you Must have one mean ass skimmer under

their.. :P

I get dizzy looking at a still shot...cant Imagine them all moving or muchless eating

Izzue

Thank You very much - I've got somewher ein the neighborhood of 50 fish in the tank. Totaly system volume is near 400g, and the skimmer is def. a large one (12" body, ~32" tall, with a Dart NW recirc pump)

I feed 12"x12" sheets of Nori everyday ... it's gone within ~ 5 minutes. Frozen food is consumed very fast as well.

I re-aquascapped tonight, cleaned the filters, and played around.

Added a few more critters, added a leather, and a rock from my tank with GSP on it.

100_0500.JPG

100_0502.JPG

nasty skimmate already ...

100_0505.JPG

We'll see how well it does - so far it worked, but i keep having to adjust it - it's dependent upon the water level in the back chambers. Until this morning the water level was very high due to adding new rocks. I placed the "ATO" containers in the back now, and post up later how well they function.

--marco

Archived