inTank Media Baskets

Upgrade pumps for [28g HQI Nano Cube]?

sammy33

I'm thinking about the Coralife Super skimmer 65, any thoughts?

I would be hesitant to use the SS65 in a hang-on configuration. They are very touchy with the adjustments especially when they are new. Mine would overflow regularly and pump water right out the top of the collection cup. I ran mine in a sump so it was not a big deal but in a hang-on setup it would have made a huge mess. I don't the pump will fit in the NC28 either?

I do like the rio nano skimmer. I used one on a mini bow 7 for a few months and it skimmed great. I think it may be a wee bit small for a NC28 but for around $30 bucks it would be worth trying.

The stock skimmer is working pretty well for me. I got a box of the Tropic Marin air woods and change mine about once a month and get fair skimmate.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The stock skimmer is working pretty well for me. I got a box of the Tropic Marin air woods and change mine about once a month and get fair skimmate.

I'll try the Tropic Marin air woods before I try anything else. The stock skimmer has only pulled out tea colored skimate so far. I don't need to empty the collection cup because the little bit of skimate it pulls out each day is evaporated. Thanks for the input.

I took some pictures of my DIY ATO which has been working great for the 2 months I have had it running. Here is a link to the thread that describes how to build these.

Here are a few pictures of my set up:

Float sensor housed in a 3/4" PVC cap, attached to the tank with bic pen for support and a knot in the wire to keep it secure

100_2144.jpg

Air pump wraped in a towel to reduce noise

100_2147.jpg

Gatoraid bottle that holds the water

100_2146.jpg

If you want to make one of these for your tank and need help let me know, it's very easy... and cheap!

Archived