ReefCleaners.org

My Brittle Stars spawned!

c est ma

On 8/25 I was walking by my tank when I noticed that one of my brittle stars was uncharacteristically in full view. I thought that was quite odd--normally they keep their central disc hidden when the lights are on, and only stick their legs out...But I took the opportunity to get some pics of it:

dscn5911largenr9.jpg

dscn5912largeln7.jpg

dscn5915largeed4.jpg

dscn5918largeki5.jpg

And a more distant shot to show its size relative to the tank (5.5g):

dscn5923largedr1.jpg

Then I noticed another star on the left side of the tank, also unusually exposed:

dscn5940largepz0.jpg

In fact, it seemed that brittle stars were extending out all over the place:

dscn5936croppedlargeag5.jpg

dscn5931croppedlargeoq1.jpg

I began to panic--I thought, "something is really stressing my brittle stars--my tank's gonna crash!" I started to prepare a big water change, when I realized that, aside from the stars, everything else seemed happy as usual--snails, hermits, corals, fish, etc....

Well, as the title states, it turned out to be a mass spawning event. Over the course of approx. 2 hours I was amazed to watch the whole pageant play out. Of course, my tank needed cleaning, the front glass was dirty, and on top of everything else my computer was in the shop, so I had no way to view any of my pics or remove them from the camera cards...

So these aren't the greatest pics in the world, but they sure tell a story!

Here's an early FTS with arrows pointing to some of the places the stars were poking out of:

dscn5956arrowslargelo6.jpg

More to come, pics & vids, after a wait to avoid "flood control."

--Diane

My first confirmation that I was witnessing some kind of breeding behavior was when I saw one of the stars completely emerge from the LR, arch up on its legs (in the position in which one sometimes sees pics of green brittles getting ready to pounce on a fish), emit a white, cloudy liquid, and subside again...

I wasn't fast enough to capture the first 2 I saw, but then I noticed this rather tiny star getting active on the right side of the tank. I focused on it, and got my first set of pics of this strange behavior.

Starting to emerge:

dscn5938largenf9.jpg

Out pretty far:

dscn5941croppedrightlarni7.jpg

Dipping back down again:

dscn5950largecp1.jpg

Re-emerging, and beginning to attract other stars:

dscn5971largeme8.jpg

Climbing to the top:

dscn5977croppedlargexy5.jpg

These next 4 show various stages of the arching process. If you look closely you can see the fluid being released beneath the star, and then spreading outward through the water:

dscn5997largeul3.jpg

dscn5998largefj2.jpg

dscn6001croppedlargeeu9.jpg

dscn6003croppedlargepy2.jpg

Afterwards the star quickly slid back down, but remained just below the surface with its arms waving around:

dscn6017croppedlargehh1.jpg

A bit later I was able to capture the same behavior from the star I had first noticed on the side of the LR. Here he is, twisting around and emitting the fluid:

dscn5965largewo4.jpg

Some of the following are a little blurry, but they show more instances of the fluid discharging:

dscn5981largetf7.jpg

(The white spots in the following pics are some of the fluid):

dscn5982largeiy9.jpg

dscn6010croppedlargesl0.jpg

dscn6011croppedlargecw2.jpg

dscn6012croppedlargebi8.jpg

I saw this star repeat this process at least 3 times over the ~2 hours...

Things just got "curiouser and curiouser." This guy stood up in the center of the tank:

dscn5955largelh5.jpg

dscn5990largett7.jpg

dscn5992croppedlargesq0.jpg

Here's one arching on the left top of the LR:

dscn6038croppedlargers5.jpg

dscn6039largejg1.jpg

And here's a little one crawling up the left side to the top:

dscn6043crparrowlargezr2.jpg

Arching slightly and emitting fluid:

dscn6048largejr6.jpg

dscn6051largedw1.jpg

And sliding back down (I was intrigued by the many different patterns on the dorsal surfaces of their central discs):

dscn6061largenc3.jpg

Sweet! That's really cool, Thanks for sharing! That pattern on the arms is neat.

Thanks!..."there's more." :)

Here are some miscellaneous shots of some of the massive star activity I was seeing all over the tank:

dscn6064largeum3.jpg

dscn6066largekm8.jpg

dscn6068largexp8.jpg

dscn6077largevw4.jpg

dscn6079largewj4.jpg

dscn6081largefn8.jpg

My candy cane, yet again, tried to digest a detached segment of brittle star leg:

dscn6089largeco3.jpg

Next--videos you've gotta see!

--Diane

My camera is really not up to videos, but here goes anyway. They look best if you don't enlarge them...

This first one is unfortunately sideways (how do you rotate a vid?), but it does show the arching and fluid ejection. And it's only 16 seconds long!:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2724655931052266713

These next two show a star emerging from the rock to stand upright against the back wall of the tank, then subside again. They're only 40 seconds each, so you can see that these emergences happened quickly:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4030101168970423375

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8691193400450286494

These next ones, esp. the middle two, just show tremendous writhing behavior. Who knew stars were so exciting? And I think it's fascinating that somehow they all coordinated their behavior for this event. And I was just so lucky to have been looking at the tank at the right time!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7010820315680955798

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6950841521339740237

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3903661609686459682

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7392407505117470786

Kudos to anyone who's made it this far! :D

--Diane

Holy horny orgy Batman!

I think it's fascinating that somehow they all coordinated their behavior for this event.

It's gotta be the sperm/eggs released into the water. I watch my stomatellas do the same thing every few weeks. One releases the fluid, the others sense it, then quickly extend as far upwards as they can and squirt theirs out too. Horny inverts :happy:

Wow, as usual - just, WOW!

I think you should be named N-R's resident documentarian!

LOL! Just call me Ken Burns... :D

Actually, I "document" these little happenings as much for my own records as anything else...You can tell how anal I am...If I just let these pics recede in my files full of 1000's, I'd never remember just what happened myself.

(BTW, I know it seems like an excess of pics posted here, but that's only a fraction of all the ones I took... :) )

Holy horny orgy Batman!

It's gotta be the sperm/eggs released into the water. I watch my stomatellas do the same thing every few weeks. One releases the fluid, the others sense it, then quickly extend as far upwards as they can and squirt theirs out too. Horny inverts :happy:

Good thinking--I'm sure you're right!

Nevertheless, it would seem that they'd all have to be "ripe" at the same time...

Maybe that's an ongoing process, but I've sure never seen my stars do this before. OTOH, one would have to be looking at just the right time to catch it...

I have heard of Stomatellas doing that--it must be pretty cool to watch that, too. And what a thrill to think that our tanks are hospitable enough that we can observe these seemingly natural behaviors.

Thanks, greeneyes! :)

--Diane

• 1 year later...

Very Very Very cool. I think it's awesome that you were able to witness this and document it for anyone else to enjoy. Thanks.

Archived