Coral Vue Hydros

Hoob's 40g ZeroEdge

Hoobahans

Thanks again to everyone for the great comments, it's always appreciated.

Slightly off topic...but I have found out today what this hobby is all about.

I finished a long day after a long week or school. Got my studying for a microbio test done early, had a good dinner, went back to my room, cleaned the glass, and some friends stopped by and stared at the tank. Now, a few beers and a 10 gallon water change later life is really good. Nothing is more rewarding than work you do simply because you love it. Who ever thought that a water change and scrubbing off coraline algae with your fingernail would be fun?

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I have a calupera issue. It doesn't spread or anything like that, but where it was already established I cannot get rid of it. I could take out the rocks and bake them, but a lot of it are actually on frags. Is there anything that I can do? I am getting a couple extra emerald crabs and I will not feed them until they eat the calupera. THen I'll have to catch them and give them away, but I don't know what else i can do about this stuff. Suggestions would be appreciated.

This pic shows how localized the calupera is. It's not spreading at all.

DSC_0031_NEF.jpg

My tank is becoming overrun with sponges. Any rock that is shielded from light is covered in these things. Whenever I move a rock it is either green or yellow with thick, mushy sponge underneath. That's good, right? At least I have stable enough water quality...

DSC_0021NEF.jpg

DSC_0022NEF.jpg

DSC_0024NEF.jpg

p.s. that girl in your avatar is hilarious!

I love taking picures of people right after I say their name and I get some crazy facial expressions!

p.s. that girl in your avatar is hilarious!

I love taking picures of people right after I say their name and I get some crazy facial expressions!

Yeah, this summer my girlfriend got fierce playing beirut. Almost lost an eye to a pingpong ball.

I know this is a similar pic to an earlier one, but I wanted to try out this new photo server, this is an uncompressed file (2 mb). Sweet.

2203cb355e793d01ae8acb2b8c1337f16bfc6dee.jpg

Has anyone ever used shareavenue.com? You can open the pic full sized but it's so tiny on the forum, and that's no good. I want to have it bigger but still link to the full sized, uncompressed image. Any help would be great!

Here's my photo contest entry uncompressed. Looks grainy when totally zoomed in, but it does show the detail better.

6186f4edefce1bd81333b5d3fd7f3013513b1ae9.jpg

Click to get full detail.

So that uploader blew.

A few new pics:

I can't get enough of this maxima. It's the first "nice" clam I have ever owned.

DSC_0012NEF.jpg

Right front shot. Starting to get cluttered... I don't like that look.

DSC_0019NEF.jpg

Blue-centered leptastria. Lost the green skirts in shipping, it's slowing recovering. Healthy other than that.

DSC_0007NEF.jpg

Bam Bams opening up:

DSC_0003NEF.jpg

First acan lords. Cheapies but I am testing the water, so to say. Still recovering from rough handling from shipping service. Too bad...but they are getting better fast.

DSC_0001NEF.jpg

yeah I agree about starting to get the cluttered look, you may want to let the corals grow in for 2 months or so before adding anything else so you can see who is going to fillin the remaining spaces and what is going to still be open. Looking good.

yeah I agree about starting to get the cluttered look, you may want to let the corals grow in for 2 months or so before adding anything else so you can see who is going to fillin the remaining spaces and what is going to still be open. Looking good.

I know, I know. The problem is that I'm getting an order tomorrow that has been in the works for a while now from another hobbyist. It's a big one and I don't know what I will do with it. I think that I will sell off a lot of frags I have now to locals...or try my hand at shipping. A lot of frags in the tanks and one of many of the same zoas or palys. It would be better to just keep the mother colony and unload all the frags.

I'm trying to justify to myself getting more coral when it will almost look worse in the tank. I liked the clean look when it didn't have a lot in it. Now there's stuff everywhere and it looks bad.

...But maybe I'm over thinking all of this while trying to put off my essay another ten minutes.

...But maybe I'm over thinking all of this while trying to put off my essay another ten minutes.

HAHAHA!! someone else who thinks just like me. I will hopefully have my next tank up and running in febuary and will be looking for frags then, a long ways off I know but send my a PM.

Danny

Rearange everything so that it looks in place and well thought out. You have to sometimes get more creative. So, get creative. You can do it.

Rearange everything so that it looks in place and well thought out. You have to sometimes get more creative. So, get creative. You can do it.

LOL, you saying that I don't have a creative layout! Just kidding, when I was about to set it up I had all these ideas of caves and outcrops. When I added the rocks most of them already had encrusted coral so I was really limited in design.

However, in the past three weeks I have spent over 3 hours on four occasions rearranging the rocks. You can barely notice in the pics, but I added about 1/3 more rock face available for coral and made it look more settled. But then I unloaded 35 frags from a rack I had set-up to any place that I could fit them and blew the whole thing to hell. If only I could skip my four labs, classes, and jobs for a week or so I could crack down and get this thing looking spiffy again.

BTW, your tank is incredible!

Danny, pm me when you get your tank up and I'll put something together for you. I should have some experience with shipping by that point.

Thanks For the compliment Hoob. Have you tried getting rid of a couple of rocks maybe? A lot of reefers these days are so obsessed with having 1.5-2 lbs per gallon that they clutter their tank with rock and leave no room for corals. I am not saying that is what you are doing, but a lot of people do. What I would like to achieve with my tank(if the corals cooperate), is less rock, and let the corals fill in the rest of the tank. No offense was meant by my previous comment, I love your tank! Some day I will have an overflowing tank. :)

One more addition before I return to my paper.

This thread has lacked eye-candy.

DSC_0020NEF.jpg

Beauty.

WTF is that? ###### soup?

Thanks For the compliment Hoob. Have you tried getting rid of a couple of rocks maybe? A lot of reefers these days are so obsessed with having 1.5-2 lbs per gallon that they clutter their tank with rock and leave no room for corals. I am not saying that is what you are doing, but a lot of people do. What I would like to achieve with my tank(if the corals cooperate), is less rock, and let the corals fill in the rest of the tank. No offense was meant by my previous comment, I love your tank! Some day I will have an overflowing tank. :)

I took no offense, don't worry. I have thought about taking out some but there isn't a place where I can take some out and have it look good. Another issue with this tank is that the piping take up a lot of space. The rock actually encases the piping and rests on it. if I remove any of the rock you see pipes, which is bad. But I am pretty happy with the rockwork. I am going to epoxy frags in places I like instead of placing them where they won't fall over--that should help. Thanks again for all the comments!

WTF is that? ###### soup?

LOL, it's skimmate. Do you see the nice gunky stuff? I pulled that out with my finger. Thick as chocolate. Disgusting. Had to make sure I didn't have any cuts or I'd have some infection by now...

On another note. I got my LAST shipment of coral for the year today. It's huge. Everything is acclimating now and I will post pics when they open up. How exciting.

My tank is becoming overrun with sponges. Any rock that is shielded from light is covered in these things. Whenever I move a rock it is either green or yellow with thick, mushy sponge underneath. That's good, right? At least I have stable enough water quality...

I had that problem on occasion early on, tons of little sponged hanging out under all of my overhangs. They went away after a little while though, which was nice. Still, they were kinda fun while they were there.

Archived