SaltCritters.com

Topdown Photoboxes

pookstreet

Have you ever wondered how some of these clear and beautiful photos were taken?

DSCN8355.jpg

DSCN8393.jpg

DSCN8786.jpg

DSCN8667Large.jpg

DSCN8748.jpg

DSCN8751.jpg

DSCN8781.jpg

DSCN8745.jpg

Well, the trick isn't to use a fancy camera with expensive gadgets. It's done mostly with the aid of a topdown photobox. All of these photos were taken with a 4-5 year old Nikon CoolPix 885 point-n-shoot digicam. Of course, having a dSLR with a good macro lense will help, but not always necessary.

The photobox is essentially an acrylic box with a clear front pane that allows the user to "submerge" the camera beneath the water surface to eliminate undesirable side effects from water movement and lights. You will never have to turn off all the pumps and worry about the glare from your lights ever again.

I have 2 versions for sale. The first one is made for point-n-shoot cameras and measures approximately 8"Lx6"Wx4"H. The other one is made for SLR cameras and measures approximately 5"x5"x6"H with a lip for the camera to rest on. All edges have been rounded over. The photoboxes still have the protective paper on them to prevent scratches.

DSCN9091.jpg

DSCN9093.jpg

The price for each is $45. Shipping is an additional $10 via USPS Priority Mail. I can also custom make one to your specifications but the price may be higher. Please post or PM if you have any questions. Thanks.

I haven't seen Pooks, but Raskal311's shop uses them in his SPS frag tanks so you get a CLEAR view of what you're looking at and buying. I'd highly recommend one of these devices, especially if you take a lot of pics of your tank and livestock or have a large tank you'd like people to see things from the top looking down.

Any buy from Pook, he's a top notch seller! ;)

Thanks adin and phiz........

Gvtv44 - that depends on whether you have the capabilities to make one yourself. I know that someone can say that acrylic is cheap, but the tools and the associated wear and tear isn't. And no, acrylic isn't that cheap. Don't forget about the time that it takes to make one of these. It takes an average of 45-60 mins to cut the pieces, glue them, and round over the edges. And oh yeah, setup and cleanup takes time too :D

Or just get yourself a waterproof camera :D

More seriously, this is a great idea, I would love one if it weren't for the fact that I went with the above solution.

Great pics BTW

WOW very cool. I remember I saw that method used by the legendary Tigahboy. He had some nice shots because of this box.

I wonder if I would take nice pics with my little Nikon Coolpix 4100? Any words Pook?

Or just get yourself a waterproof camera :DMore seriously, this is a great idea, I would love one if it weren't for the fact that I went with the above solution.Great pics BTW
LOL........that's a very expensive solution :P I personally take a load of photos and dipping my hands in the tank all day long isn't an option. I guess you can wear gloves and such, but isn't this a much simpler way :lol:
WOW very cool. I remember I saw that method used by the legendary Tigahboy. He had some nice shots because of this box.I wonder if I would take nice pics with my little Nikon Coolpix 4100? Any words Pook?
As far as I know, your Nikon is newer than mine but I don't think it really makes a significant difference in terms of the camera used. What I do is to put the front of the lense on the bottom pane. It helps to steady the camera and it's like basically a part of the lense itself.
This is great. I would pick one up if I had a tank filled with nice corals :D . Maybe someday.

Thanks. It would have worked great with the Nikon that you were selling :D

I'm gonna hit you up for one of these in the future...

Anytime you are ready. I still have a few left and if I am out, I can always make more. Thanks for the interest.

so how is this work, put the camera inside the box, lower it down into the water, aiming it close to the coral and snap the picture ? any instruction on how this thing work ? I want one. Also if I got ugly brown color corals...would this box help make them look like your ?...J/K

Also if I got ugly brown color corals...would this box help make them look like your ?

Most definitely YES!!! :lol:

But that one would cost you $999.99...........

What you described is pretty much it. Just make sure you don't dunk the box too low or water will get inside and ruin your POS camera :P

Alright, guys/gals. I still have a couple of the point-n-shoot variety and one of the SLR boxes left. I can't get these out for $50 shipped via USPS Priority Mail. Thanks.

I would be interested if it had a screw mount that goes in my tripod hole to hold it on there.

I can drill and supply a nylon wingnut to mount a dSLR. But the hole location has to be somewhat customized b/c different dSLRs have their screw mounts in different locations. Not all of them are centered.

BTW, YGPM NoValidTitle. Thanks.

First off--FU pook for producing these after we spoke at length about me needing one---and you said you used one.

Second--Schuran makes one as well--but I can't find them any more.

Third--FU pook for producting these after we spoke at length about me needing one. I don't have one, I could use one--and your cuz will be looking for one to arrive here next week you cheap ass $50 plastic box selling SOB. Wait til I tell gram.

Fourth--You have my address.

Archived