inTank Media Baskets

? on nanotuners upgrade

celtic_dude

I was thinking about getting the Nanocustoms 4.24 series upgrade kit for my 12g nanocube. Has anyone done this mod? Any thoughts on it? Is it worth doing? Thanks

I was thinking about getting the Nanocustoms 4.24 series upgrade kit for my 12g nanocube. Has anyone done this mod? Any thoughts on it? Is it worth doing? Thanks

i did it when i first started out with sw and i liked it. absolutely zero heat issues.

of course, the sw bug bit, and i ended up upgrading to a 70w MH a couple months later :)

i did it when i first started out with sw and i liked it. absolutely zero heat issues.

of course, the sw bug bit, and i ended up upgrading to a 70w MH a couple months later :)

How is the MH one? Not sure if I want to spend that much.

How is the MH one? Not sure if I want to spend that much.

I was SURE I didnt want to spend that much... the 4.24 was much more reasonably priced, and 96w of pc is very decent for the 12g nano. Before I knew it, I was wishing I had gone with the MH.

I ended up switching to the MH because imo it's more realistic, and it gives me more flexibility in coral options. I went with the 70w Ushio 20K MH + 36w of PC Actinics.

I have the 4.24 with a 10000K, 50/50, and two actinics. Love the setup, love the light combo. I had a little heat issue before doing the upgrade which I bought the ICA from them. I never had any increased heat after the upgrade. I keep multiple SPS including multiple montis, porites and seratiopora with great growth. I would highly recommend the upgrade. The thing I didn't like about the MH was I was afraid of heat issues.

I have the 4.24 with a 10000K, 50/50, and two actinics. Love the setup, love the light combo. I had a little heat issue before doing the upgrade which I bought the ICA from them. I never had any increased heat after the upgrade. I keep multiple SPS including multiple montis, porites and seratiopora with great growth. I would highly recommend the upgrade. The thing I didn't like about the MH was I was afraid of heat issues.

Here is another ? then. Can you control the lights individually?

Here is another ? then. Can you control the lights individually?

with the 4.24 kit, the lights are controlled in 2 sets of 2. my setup was 2 pc actinics, 1 10k, and 1 50/50. I had the 2 actinics come on first, followed by the 10k+50/50.

Has anyone noticed any temp drop with this mod? My tank with the stock hood and 2nd pump runs about 78 lights out and 85 lights on.

Has anyone noticed any temp drop with this mod? My tank with the stock hood and 2nd pump runs about 78 lights out and 85 lights on.

yeah... the 4.24 will DEFINITELY run cooler. It runs cooler than stock because of the improved reflector design and extra fan.

my MH definitely puts out more heat... usually the tank runs a couple degrees warmer than ambient temp. when i had the 4.24, tank never rose above ambient temp.

What kind of config should I do for the bulbs?

i'd do at least 2 actinics so you can do staged lighting.

i'd either do 2 10k and 2 actinics, or if you like a bit more blue, do 1 10k, 1 50/50, and 2 actinics.

Stock is what 2 50/50 in the stock hood? Guess I would need to change them as well/

yeah... stock is either 2 50/50s or 1 10k and 1 actnic. You might be able to keep one of your 50/50s and have nanotuners only include 3 bulbs... might save you a few bucks.

Kit only comes with 2 bulbs it looks like. How about then running an actnic, a 10k and 2 50/50s. Would that work?

that would work, but since you wouldnt have 2 actinics, you wouldnt be able to stage your lighting, which i think is one of the nice benefits of the 4.24 kit.

So it is better to have 2 actinics. What about using them with the 2 50/50s?

that would work too... it will be pretty blue though!

you could always try it, and if you hate it, just sell one of your 50/50s on the forums and buy a 10k.

Would I have to do anything with the frags that I have in the tank once I upgrade? I think they are mostly zoas. Still new to the whole coral thing. Also think one is a green star something. Would love to get some rics soon too. Is 96watts better for them than the stock?

Well I placed the order today. Thanks for the help. Curious to see how much brighter the tank will be. My wife already commented it is too bright :)

I had the 4.24, with 2 10000K, 1 50/50 and 1 actinic really liked it but recently switched to the 1.70 + 2.18. NanoTuner kits are great, you will have no heat issues with it.

You shouldnt have to do anything with your zoas. The stock bulbs are 50/50 10000K/7100K blue which is brighter that the 50/50 10000K/actinic. This is how I originally had the bulbs, you can see the difference.

DSC00538.jpg

Archived