ReefCleaners.org

CADLIGHTS OWNERS CLUB THREAD!

Belatube

Have you had any issues with microbubbles? I didnt at first but now i do. For the last few weeks i havent been running it at all. Not a big deal..i dont mind going skimmerless since i do enough water changes and run an additional fuge water quality is great. But i was just wondering in case i desire to run it again.

Not really any big problems with microbubbles to this point but only up and running for 6 days now.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you had any issues with microbubbles? I didnt at first but now i do. For the last few weeks i havent been running it at all. Not a big deal..i dont mind going skimmerless since i do enough water changes and run an additional fuge water quality is great. But i was just wondering in case i desire to run it again.

There are a few things you can try -- the trick is to have as much opportunity as possible for the bubbles to disperse before they enter the main tank intake in the last chamber, so where you have your skimmer return emptying makes a difference (e.g., don't have the skimmer return directly to either the last chamber or the one right next to it.

Also, I'm floating a sponge directly under the skimmer return -- sponges (or filter pads) do a great job at breaking up the bubbles if the water from the return passes over/through them. They'll also give a little extra mechanical filtration for debris.

Finally, if you have one of the chambers between the main tank pump and the skimmer return filled with chaeto/filter bags/rubble/etc., that will usually slow the flow down sufficiently to allow most of the bubbles to disperse before they get into the display.

It's all about how many bubble-dissolving roadblocks you can throw at the water between the time it exits the skimmer return and the time it gets to the pump. :)

There are a few things you can try -- the trick is to have as much opportunity as possible for the bubbles to disperse before they enter the main tank intake in the last chamber, so where you have your skimmer return emptying makes a difference (e.g., don't have the skimmer return directly to either the last chamber or the one right next to it.

Also, I'm floating a sponge directly under the skimmer return -- sponges (or filter pads) do a great job at breaking up the bubbles if the water from the return passes over/through them. They'll also give a little extra mechanical filtration for debris.

Finally, if you have one of the chambers between the main tank pump and the skimmer return filled with chaeto/filter bags/rubble/etc., that will usually slow the flow down sufficiently to allow most of the bubbles to disperse before they get into the display.

It's all about how many bubble-dissolving roadblocks you can throw at the water between the time it exits the skimmer return and the time it gets to the pump. :)

Good point, my skimmer is in chamber 2 and chamber 3 has cheato and a purapad before it the water enters the final chamber with the return pump.

This forum sure is help isn't it! :D

I love my tank and cannot recommend enough a Reefkeeper 2. It is expensive but well worth it.

Best of luck with your setup and please post some pics so we can all keep up with each others progress.

Thanks, and back atcha'!

Oh yeah, a Reefkeeper 2 is next on my list... I started my ridiculously expensive extra purchases off with a mini artica chiller instead, which has definitely come in handy even during the last 48 hours as I've been prepping for the rock.

I'll include some pics as soon as the rock gets in there... since right now it looks *exactly* the same as yours did before you got your rock in there. :)

Thanks, and back atcha'!

Oh yeah, a Reefkeeper 2 is next on my list... I started my ridiculously expensive extra purchases off with a mini artica chiller instead, which has definitely come in handy even during the last 48 hours as I've been prepping for the rock.

I'll include some pics as soon as the rock gets in there... since right now it looks *exactly* the same as yours did before you got your rock in there. :)

I am hoping to be able to avoid the expense of a chiller. My tank is at work and it stays cool 24/7.

Were did you order your LR from?

I've ordered most of my stuff so far from Premium Aquatics... I have 25 pounds of Kaelini and 10 pounds of their "nano rock" coming. I've always had good luck with them in the past, and I was able to give them my tank dimensions and talk to a rep about what I was looking for.

I'm psyched to get the rock in there and start waiting and watching. :)

I got the chiller mostly because it helps reduce evaporation. And maybe a little bit because I like tubes and wires. :P

I would like to show pics of my tank, but alas it's still not up and running. I have had the tank, sort of, since Decemeber of 2006 and it's not complete yet.

And i thought I moved slowly! :lol:

Thanks for the info ill give it a try the next time i attempt to run it.

Umm how much water were you guys able to put in your 34g tank? I put in 21g with no rock, equipment, or sand in it and it is filled to the top. The bank chambers are half way filled too. I dont see any way I could fit another 14g in here. There is no way this could hold 34g at its max. I am so confused. I know rock, sand, and equipment will eventually take up space, but it seems like this isnt an actual 34g tank. Some one please help explain this to me.

Umm how much water were you guys able to put in your 34g tank? I put in 21g with no rock, equipment, or sand in it and it is filled to the top. The bank chambers are half way filled too. I dont see any way I could fit another 14g in here. There is no way this could hold 34g at its max. I am so confused. I know rock, sand, and equipment will eventually take up space, but it seems like this isnt an actual 34g tank. Some one please help explain this to me.

multiply your tank's WxLxH and then multiply the total by 0.00433 (to convert from cubic inches to gallons), and then subtract about 2 from the total for wall thickness. for my tank -- the 34g -- that's 24x18.5x18.5x.00433 = 35.6, minus about 2 for walls and you get just under 34. if i recall the number of trips i made with my 5 gallon bucket it wasn't quite 30 gallons worth with all of the stuff in there and with a few more gallons to reach the aquarium lip.

are you sure you didn't end-up with the 25? it has almost the same dimensions except it's 14H instead of 18.5.... :o

I just measured and the dimensions are 23.5 X 17.75 X 17.75. CAD lights says they are 23.5 X 18.5 X 18.25.

omgomgomg

I just measured and that's about what mine is (my quote above was just from memory :happy: ) -- make sure you measure depth from the widest part of the bow, though -- you can subtract probably 1/2 gallon for the curve.

So, when all is said and done, it looks like it's not quite 34g... that said, you should still be able to get a lot more than 21 gallons in there!

I just measured and the dimensions are 23.5 X 17.75 X 17.75. CAD lights says they are 23.5 X 18.5 X 18.25.

omgomgomg

as i recall, i got abt 21-22 gallons into the totally empty 25. i've gotten to the point where i do the initial salt mix in the bare aquarium, so i have to measure gallon by gallon, then add 1/2 cup salt per, so i'm pretty sure of the count.

fwiw, responding to a couple other posts, i've gotten all my lr from premium aquatics, and it' been great.

i've got the skimmer return into chamber 2, which is full of ls, lr, chaeto and other various algae. no bubbles. then again, i'm not using a stock skimmer since the 25 didn't come with one. i've got a remora nano in this tank.

Hey guys! This is the first time I have run a refugium. Once the the tank cycles, I am going to get some chaeto, but what should I put on the bottom of the chamber (#2)? Live rock? Sand? Sand seems logical, but I am worried about it traveling and getting sucked up into the filter.

I have chamber 1 (overflow) filled with rock rubble, and chamber 3 has the heater and pump. Any suggestions?

Hey guys! This is the first time I have run a refugium. Once the the tank cycles, I am going to get some chaeto, but what should I put on the bottom of the chamber (#2)? Live rock? Sand? Sand seems logical, but I am worried about it traveling and getting sucked up into the filter.

I have chamber 1 (overflow) filled with rock rubble, and chamber 3 has the heater and pump. Any suggestions?

I'm not a huge fan of stuff in the back that makes cleaning difficult, so I'd stay away from adding too much rock/sand/mud back there... a year down the road after a few million gallons of tank water (and gunk) have circulated through it'll just end-up being a big mess. Unlike a separate fuge, it's hard to deep clean the back chambers of small all-in-one tanks once everything is established.

If you don't already have the rock rubble in your overflow inside its own filter bag, that might be something to consider -- that way you can just lift the bag out of the chamber and suck up the gunk on the bottom when you clean. Way easier than trying to get a siphon around the rock pieces IMO. My rule-of-thumb is that anything going in the back chamber needs to be relatively easy to remove for cleaning and needs to have a measurable impact on the tank -- I'm not convinced that a few more ounces of sand back there is worth the hassle. :P

That's just me though -- I'm sure plenty of people aren't as hxc as I am about keeping things modular and easily removable. :)

Kellie, when you need chaeto I have some you can have. Mine is growing in my fuge like wildfire.

That sucks the tanks aren't a true 34g... =/

Thanks so much, I will take you up on that! I was just asking my LFS today what they charge and they said $20 a cup. Woah!!!

I have about 25-30 LBS. of LR and 20 LBS. of LS and it took around 22 gallons to fill the tank to what I believe is a decent level. I would guess that with out the rock, sand, filter media, pump, glass baffels, the number would be closer to 30 gallons of water.

Thanks so much, I will take you up on that! I was just asking my LFS today what they charge and they said $20 a cup. Woah!!!

That's rediculous, it's worth no more than a gallon of water really. A local coral farmer (that charges exorborantly rediculous prices for rare zoas and SPS) gave me a handful for free and that handful is what overtook my entire fuge in just a few months. It's very much pod infested which is a nice bonus. :) But just let me know when you're ready for it and I'll give you a handful.

Thanks so much Phixion! I just started cycling, so it will be probably be a few weeks before I hit you up for it! :)

I wish I could get some pics up, but I lent my camera to my parents and they will be on vacation for a few weeks. I've got 5 lbs of really porous rubble in chamber #1, and 28 lbs of Live Rock and 20 lbs of Live Sand in the tank. I kinda splurged on the rock, paying $5 a pound. But, the shapes were so cool, I couldn't resist. I got it from OceanPro (online retailer) in Chino which is just about 10 min from my house. I like going there because they will let you go through all of their stock and cherry-pick the pieces that you want. They had some decent Figi for $1.99/lb, but the Tukani Ultra really caught my eye. I was looking for something a little unique. For anyone who is local to So Cal, I really recommend going there. They have tons of different kinds of rock, lots of stuff that you will never find in a LFS.

www.oceanproaquatics.com

Now the waiting begins..... :)

Note taken on OceanPro. Even $5/lbs. for rock isn't that bad. I'd rather spend more on that which won't go bad, then that much on fish which are far more sensative. I paid $103 originally for the 15lbs. of rock I had in my old AP12. I got the rock in my Finnex 30g from Pacific Reef in Torrance and had 0 downtime with it as it was 100% cured and cycled when I put it in directly from the store. :) Always worth the price too when you can hand pick the rock yourself!

Archived