Cultivated Reef

CADLIGHTS OWNERS CLUB THREAD!

Belatube

One of the first things I did with my fixture was replace the paper reflectors with a set of Aquatinc 22" aluminum reflectors on the T5 bulbs. That helped a lot with the output from the t5's. Not sure if they have "real" reflectors on the all t-5 models or not.

As far as bulbs go, IMO, you cant beat the ATI brand blue plus bulbs for par and color (if you like blue).

Dennis

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Dennis. I think my reflectors are already aluminum. These ATI bulbs, are they actenic or do they just have a blueish color to them? Thanks again

I think they are a mix of blue and actinic. They are definitly an overall blue color. I have a 4 lamp Tek fixture and run 2 blue plus and 2 aquablue specials, both from ATI. I think the color is great.

Dennis

Don't buy electronics (or much else) from Cadlights. If they're anything like the setup which came with my 39G, they're cheaply made to the point of being a fire hazard (see my other posts).

Today provided more evidence of this. I went to change out my T5 actinics this morning and the crappy plastic socket clips Eddie used crumbed to little bits when I turned the tubes gently.

BTW, Eddie hasn't replied to any of my emails for support.

I hate this tank.

I love my 39g pro tank (just the tank though).

I'm happy that I didn't buy the lighting from CADLights and went with the Current Outer Orbit instead. If I had it to do all over again, I would have bought the tank only.

The stand is adequate for support and functional purposes, but has a Sauder pressed board furniture kind of look. I think it should have been more stylish to match the tank.

The skimmer worked ok when the pump was working, but that didn't work for long.

The UV sterilizer has never been in my tank because:

1. I chose not to use one.

2. I don't trust the one that came with the Pro package.

The fan pushes some serious air, but is very loud. I don't use it as I have a chiller and no need for a fan.

The return pump...Seems to be a common item to be upgraded. I will be upgrading mine soon as I can't put up with the constant hum that this thing puts out.

Being that, in hindsight, I would have built my own stand, I also would have built a stand that would accommodate a larger sump. The stock sump is short on the volume side and leaves for very few skimmer options due to it's dimensions.

To be honest, I would have paid a few extra bucks for the Pro setup with a good return pump and good skimmer. CADLights could have kept the fan and UV sterilizer and maybe include a Stealth heater in the package instead of those. A tank as good as the 39pro should have equal quality equipment to match.

Just my opinion....

I love my 39g pro tank (just the tank though).

I'm happy that I didn't buy the lighting from CADLights and went with the Current Outer Orbit instead. If I had it to do all over again, I would have bought the tank only.

The stand is adequate for support and functional purposes, but has a Sauder pressed board furniture kind of look. I think it should have been more stylish to match the tank.

The skimmer worked ok when the pump was working, but that didn't work for long.

The UV sterilizer has never been in my tank because:

1. I chose not to use one.

2. I don't trust the one that came with the Pro package.

The fan pushes some serious air, but is very loud. I don't use it as I have a chiller and no need for a fan.

The return pump...Seems to be a common item to be upgraded. I will be upgrading mine soon as I can't put up with the constant hum that this thing puts out.

Being that, in hindsight, I would have built my own stand, I also would have built a stand that would accommodate a larger sump. The stock sump is short on the volume side and leaves for very few skimmer options due to it's dimensions.

To be honest, I would have paid a few extra bucks for the Pro setup with a good return pump and good skimmer. CADLights could have kept the fan and UV sterilizer and maybe include a Stealth heater in the package instead of those. A tank as good as the 39pro should have equal quality equipment to match.

Just my opinion....

I'm looking at the CADLights Artisan.. I assume the sump/refugium package is what you are referring to? if so, would you recommend against it? What is the brand of the pump, and do you find teh Bubble-Magus poor?

I'm looking at the CADLights Artisan.. I assume the sump/refugium package is what you are referring to? if so, would you recommend against it? What is the brand of the pump, and do you find teh Bubble-Magus poor?

mkregs and i (i believe) both had the Lifetech pump originally. it's not the same one they are using now (the new one is rated at 1000gph).

i personally like the bubble-magus skimmer, especially for the price. i get good production out of it.

I bought mine shortly before they were including the BM skimmer. So, I have their old skimmer. I've heard good things about the BM.

Congrats on the Artisian! It looks like a nice tank.

TriggerHappyDude

Hey guys, lurking around here, I'm a Solana owner currently, thinking and researching maybe doing a switch to a CADLights 39g Pro-X...haven't done much research on them, but I'm feeling a bit "hands tied" for some reason with the flexibility of the Solana tank. I like the external sump and filtration systems this tank offers...any thoughts on the Pro-X model?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So whats the deal with C.A.D. Lights? I have been reading very mixed reviews about these systems.

I had been contemplating purchasing a Oceanic BioCube 29 but was told about the CAD Lights system by a a guy at the LFS. He talked about these things like they were the best thing ever. I have been reading this post and it seems that the company started out great with beautiful tanks and amazing cutomer service. However it seems recently there has been a huge issue with quality control issue and customer service.

I have been contemplating purchaisng the new 22 gal T5HO (96watt) setup but am now very concerned. Does anyone know if these light fixtures are UL listed? Any objective thoughts on the system? Like I said everyone I have spoken with raves about the CAD Lights they told me that the Bio Cube is junk and I should go with CAD Lights but after reading this thread I am beginning to wonder.

Thanks for any help in advance.

That's a tough comparison, and probably not a useful one. It just depends on what you're looking for.

Cad > Biocube, no question. The Cad has T-5 lighting, a skimmer, 400gph pump, etc. And, the glass is no comparison.

Now, the Cadlights equipment is not JUNK by any stretch of the imagination, but if you're looking for high-end premium stuff, this is not it. You're obviously not getting that with a biocube either, though. But, you're also paying substantially more for less volume. And, having said that, oceanic is apparently going to release a 29g metal halide biocube.

At the end of the day, it depends on what you are looking for. You might hear "bashing" of cad for quality control issues (this is not a new issue), but despite all that, you're getting a better tank and more equipment than a stock biocube offers.

edit: FYI, I own a biocube 8g and a cadlights pro 39g.

perverseosmosis
So whats the deal with C.A.D. Lights? I have been reading very mixed reviews about these systems.

Cadlights or Biocube? My advice is maybe neither.

Something to remember is these all-in-one companies don't make their money selling tank glass. They make money selling you $50 worth of poorly constructed ABS plastic as part of a $700 combo.

Someone should start a poll to determine how much stock AIO equipment gets replaced in the first year. I suspect it would show that most of these combos aren't worth the money.

If I had it all to do over again, I'd find a tank with a style that I liked, and I'd forgo anything but the glass itself. Everything else was a waste of money and sometimes dangerous.

Something to remember is these all-in-one companies don't make their money selling tank glass. They make money selling you $50 worth of poorly constructed ABS plastic as part of a $700 combo.

huh? Of course they make money on the glass. Once they have the molds I would think it is relatively cheap.

Someone should start a poll to determine how much stock AIO equipment gets replaced in the first year. I suspect it would show that most of these combos aren't worth the money.

If I had it all to do over again, I'd find a tank with a style that I liked, and I'd forgo anything but the glass itself. Everything else was a waste of money and sometimes dangerous.

perverseosmosis is just bitter. :P:lol:

AIOs aren't per se a bad deal, especially if you're just starting out. they give you financial flexibility to upgrade stock components as you want to or can afford to while allowing you to keep a tank running in the meantime.

if you have have the expertise to do so, your best financial move is always going to be to design your own system using your choice of components. but not everyone has the patience/financial means/skill/know-how to do that.

would i buy another AIO, Cad or otherwise? no. but, if you had asked me this 6 months ago, i would've given you a different answer.

CAD's are awesome tanks. I bought a tank only, then you can add and do whatever you want without paying for the things you are going to replace anyway.

perverseosmosis
perverseosmosis is just bitter. :P:lol:

Heheh I think you might be right :lol: I'll try to make this my last rant ;)

AIOs aren't per se a bad deal, especially if you're just starting out. they give you financial flexibility to upgrade stock components as you want to or can afford to while allowing you to keep a tank running in the meantime.

I agree with you that had everything arrived in working condition and stayed that way, a Cadlights AIO would have provided a nice path.

However, when I replaced the stock equipment, it often wasn't out of a desire for an upgrade. I was usually because the original piece broke and Eddie was in Shenzhen trying to find someone who'd make light stands for 2 cents a piece.

I don't claim to have any insight as to how good (or more likely) how bad the other AIOs are. All I can say, as someone who's done it and followed most of the Cadlights build threads here is this: Don't buy anything but the tank*. Buying equipment from Cadlights is a costly mistake.

Anywhoo, enough about that. I'm late starting today's water change :)

*Although even those show up cracked a disturbing amount of the time.

Heres the deal. There is a lfs store in the area who is selling the Cadlights 22g system for $300.00 It comes with the T5HO lights, the stock pump, lock line and BM protein skimmer.

My thoughts are this. The tanks are arriving next week and I can go down and take a look (ie no cracked tank showing up on my door step) since I have only seen these online. I can also inspect the quality of the lighting system. ( I have been told they are UL listed any contradictions on that?) For $300 I think its probably a good buy and then I can upgrade to a better lighting system later if I need to.

Also, I am looking at purchasing Intanks media basket for the system and will probably not use the skimmer.

I really appreciate your guys input. Sorry to take up space on this thread I started one of my own but have not been getting as many responses as this one.

I understand a lot of people are against the AIO tanks and I understand why. However, the setup will work well for me and I really like the stream lined look.

*Although even those show up cracked a disturbing amount of the time.

I bought a 9 gallon CAD, tank only and it shipped in what looked like bullet proof packaging. It arrived with no problems and it even delivered on a Saturday. IF it would have showed up cracked it would NOT have been due to CADlights packaging.

Heres the deal. There is a lfs store in the area who is selling the Cadlights 22g system for $300.00 It comes with the T5HO lights, the stock pump, lock line and BM protein skimmer.

Nothing wrong with AIO systems. They make a more versatile setup as you can virtually put it anywhere there is a table or counter top. Compared to a sump which needs a stand and space of it's own.

4 bulbs of 96w T5HO lighting is more then enough lighting for a 22g system. List price for that system is (if I am looking correctly) $329 plus shipping. Sounds like it's a go. You won't be disappointed with the tank build quality. Really just an issue of lighting build quality and I have not personally dealt with CADlights lighting.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 22 gallon cadlights that I purchased about 6 months ago. The tank is going great, but my only complaint is the cheap acrylic stands for the T5HO lights. The stand also doesn't fit perfectly on the tank, so you have to make some minor adjustments. Anyone else have a problem with this?

Got my CADLights Artisan 50G Series "system" yesterday..

All I can say is great tank, great fuge/sump, horrible stand and accessories. Do yourself a favor and stick to the tank and fuge, then do the rest a la carte with the good components.. The Tank is a mercedez, while the stand, fan, and pump are a pinto.

The Stand: You'll cry, then you'll laugh, then you'll cry again, and finally if you have a loaded weapon probably end up taking your own life. There are no assembly instructions.. None. Just a single page B/W drawing of what the stand should look like assembled... You get a bag with like 40 screws, nuts, and pegs of various shapes and sizes. It's up to you to figure out what screws where. The holes are poorly drilled. The veneer is paper thin. In fact the veneer really is paper of some type lol.. The shelf is useless as the hole is centered rather than towards the rear, so you can't pass plumbing. Doesn't come with rubber feet as advertised. Four hours and many brain cells later (with what could have been <1 hour with instructions), it was built.. Trying to decide whether I want (or even can with the vaneer) paint it, as I'm worried the slightest brush up against it might tear or scratch the veneer.

Sorry, just really had to rant about the stand. Still have blisters on my hands today..

All I can say is great tank, great fuge/sump, horrible stand and accessories. Do yourself a favor and stick to the tank and fuge, then do the rest a la carte with the good components.. The Tank is a mercedez, while the stand, fan, and pump are a pinto.

The Stand: You'll cry, then you'll laugh, then you'll cry again, and finally if you have a loaded weapon probably end up taking your own life. There are no assembly instructions.. None. Just a single page B/W drawing of what the stand should look like assembled... You get a bag with like 40 screws, nuts, and pegs of various shapes and sizes. It's up to you to figure out what screws where. The holes are poorly drilled. The veneer is paper thin. In fact the veneer really is paper of some type lol.. The shelf is useless as the hole is centered rather than towards the rear, so you can't pass plumbing. Doesn't come with rubber feet as advertised. Four hours and many brain cells later (with what could have been <1 hour with instructions), it was built.. Trying to decide whether I want (or even can with the vaneer) paint it, as I'm worried the slightest brush up against it might tear or scratch the veneer.

Sorry, just really had to rant about the stand. Still have blisters on my hands today..

I haven't seen the stand for the 50g. That's good to know, though. is it sturdy, at least?

I've been reasonably satisfied with the 39g pro stand for the most part, despite the hinge rust. it's been stable, and i haven't noticed any warping/cracking/bubbling.

I haven't seen the stand for the 50g. That's good to know, though. is it sturdy, at least?

I've been reasonably satisfied with the 39g pro stand for the most part, despite the hinge rust. it's been stable, and i haven't noticed any warping/cracking/bubbling.

Well, it doesn't creak and all the seams line up for the most part. Still trying to get the front doors to align properly. My main gripe besides the lack of instructions is the really thin cheap veneer that is used. I don't know what they used on the 39G stand, but this veneer is literally a water resistant paper like substance. It scratches extremely easily. Now that I have it built, I'm fighting over the decision as to whether to pain it white or not. I'm worried that inevitably the veneer WILL get scratched, and then there is nothing that can be done once the tank is filled and on top.. I did a trial paint job on the inside shelf (which I am now told is not supposed to be used lol) with gloss white krylon, and it came out very smooth and nice.. Tonight the little lady is coming over to give me the official interior design opinion, and I'll decide then. If I paint it white then I'll probably figure a way to paint my Maxspect fixture white as well.. Might look nice..

what about the Lamp Tree, would you recommend it?

AND THANK YOU for letting us know about the stand....I would be SO FURIOUS

Archived