Cultivated Reef

CADLIGHTS OWNERS CLUB THREAD!

Belatube

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. I'm still undecided which tank setup should I get for my first reef and I found this thread so I have some questions. I was looking into cad 22g and 39g tanks and found out they are local company to me which is a big plus for me (pickup>shipping). I think I would get the 22g one, 39g is a little bit too much and too expensive right now. We'll see:) Anyway, here's what I'd like to find out:

-It is 23 3/4"length x 14 1/4"width x 14 1/2" height and the fuge is 12" x 3 1/2"x tank height so I have 24" x 10 3/4" of "working space", is that correct? Do you like those dimensions in your cad's?

-I am thinking of their stand as well, but I couldn't find any input on their quality? Anyone have it?

-if you were me, would you buy this tank with stock T5 lighting or is it a better idea to buy another brand lights? The ones I'm considering are Aquaticlife t5ho 4x24W http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=21460 or catalinaaquarium 4x24W fixture http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_in...roducts_id=1411 What do you think?

-I already grabbed a tunze 9002 skimmer so I would replace the stock one, is that a good idea?

-what do you use to light the fuge?

Thanks for all your comments.

Hey,

Question for those with the 39 Pro...do you have the same problem as me in that the piece of airline tubing that you put in the top of the durso to silence it gets clogged with salt? This then causes the overflow to drain to about half of the normal level. Any solutions?

Thanks.

Hey,

Question for those with the 39 Pro...do you have the same problem as me in that the piece of airline tubing that you put in the top of the durso to silence it gets clogged with salt? This then causes the overflow to drain to about half of the normal level. Any solutions?

Thanks.

How is salt getting in your airline hose?

perverseosmosis

I took a peak inside the 39G light fixture. Doing so was very revealing.

After taking one of the side panels off, a leftover off piece of wire with a bare end fell out. The next thing I saw was drips and flecks of solder rattling around in the case.

The scariest thing I saw was a strand of bare wire sticking out the side of some heat shrink. This was on one of the wires which drives the HQI bulb and was very close to arcing against the case.

I'm not sure there's anything worth saving here.

Awesome. My actinics have conked out. Has anyone repaired a ballast on the original lighting fixture?

After taking one of the side panels off, a leftover off piece of wire with a bare end fell out. The next thing I saw was drips and flecks of solder rattling around in the case.

The scariest thing I saw was a strand of bare wire sticking out the side of some heat shrink. This was on one of the wires which drives the HQI bulb and was very close to arcing against the case.

That sucks. I would contact Eddie at Cadlights about that and tell him it needs to be replaced for one that is fully finished (as this is obviously not a problem that you could've discovered until the thing broke, and it seems to obviously be the reason it broke). Their quality control is getting to be a bit of an issue.

Recent owner of CADLIGHTS 50 Gallon Artisan system.

Mike

Love to see a thread on this! The glass on these looks pretty awesome.

It's just salt creep. Don't know how or why, but it seems to form there.

I haven't had any trouble with salt creep getting in the airline hose, but i've had algae form on/in it and sort of "stiffen" the hose up.

Frankly, I might just consider replacing the hose every so often to prevent that rather than doing any extensive research into why it's happening (or, alternatively, just clipping off the end that is clogged with salt).

Frankly, I might just consider replacing the hose every so often to prevent that rather than doing any extensive research into why it's happening (or, alternatively, just clipping off the end that is clogged with salt).

Lately, it seemed to be clogging up every day or so. I would rinse the airline off in my tank to remove the salt creep, then blow on it to try to dry it. I think the residual dampness is causing it to re-clog much faster, that's my theory anyway. So, I just replaced the hose, we'll see if it lasts longer now.

The main reason it was a big deal for me is I have my heater in the overflow box. So as the airline would clog the water level would drop in the overflow and could potentially leave the heater exposed, and break/overheat/underheat.

Heh, seems like a stupid problem, but thanks for the help.

Now I need to find a replacement fan for the lights that can be shipped to Canada...

Lately, it seemed to be clogging up every day or so. I would rinse the airline off in my tank to remove the salt creep, then blow on it to try to dry it. I think the residual dampness is causing it to re-clog much faster, that's my theory anyway. So, I just replaced the hose, we'll see if it lasts longer now.

The main reason it was a big deal for me is I have my heater in the overflow box. So as the airline would clog the water level would drop in the overflow and could potentially leave the heater exposed, and break/overheat/underheat.

Heh, seems like a stupid problem, but thanks for the help.

Now I need to find a replacement fan for the lights that can be shipped to Canada...

ahhhh -- well, if you're rinsing it in salt water, I could see why that might be re-clogging so quickly. you could try rinsing in fresh water, but better would be rinsing in vinegar to actually get the salt off of the hose, then in some fresh water to get the vinegar off.

How old is the light fixture? Did you buy it new?

@timdanger I will try to start up a thread build either in this forum (All-In-One-Tank) or in the Biotope forum. I know a few people are interested in see CADLIGHT's newest tank.

Mike

@timdanger I will try to start up a thread build either in this forum (All-In-One-Tank) or in the Biotope forum. I know a few people are interested in see CADLIGHT's newest tank.

Mike

post on here when you start it so we know to look for it!

ahhhh -- well, if you're rinsing it in salt water, I could see why that might be re-clogging so quickly. you could try rinsing in fresh water, but better would be rinsing in vinegar to actually get the salt off of the hose, then in some fresh water to get the vinegar off.

Heh, ya, I don't know why I was rinsing it in salt water, pretty stupid and obviously the cause of the problem. Since having this realization it is no longer a problem...don't mind me I'm a little new.

Thanks.

perverseosmosis

Don't buy electronics (or much else) from Cadlights. If they're anything like the setup which came with my 39G, they're cheaply made to the point of being a fire hazard (see my other posts).

Today provided more evidence of this. I went to change out my T5 actinics this morning and the crappy plastic socket clips Eddie used crumbed to little bits when I turned the tubes gently.

BTW, Eddie hasn't replied to any of my emails for support.

I hate this tank.

how is the cadlight high output t-5 fixtures compared to a tek or a nova extreme?

Have to agree. I have the 39gal signature tank setup and the tank is very nice but all the rest.......junk. Ive replaced just about everything. Very unfortunate.

Hi everyone. Just found this thread. I have a cad 22 and overall I'm happy with it. It's time for me to change out the light bulbs, but not sure what to get. I have the ho t5's with moonlights (96 watts). The fixture seems to work well, but I just wanted to change to a different bulb. I have mostly softies in the tank and they all seem to be doing okay but was wondering if anybody has had better luck with different bulbs. Any suggestions? Thanks

Archived