inTank Media Baskets

CADLIGHTS OWNERS CLUB THREAD!

Belatube

crazinezz978

They're great . . . BUT A HASSLE to SELLLL

I can hardly sell a 39g complete setup for $180 on here... (Only 2 low ball offers so far)

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm interested in your tank. can you pm me the spec on what it comes with and price.

They're great . . . BUT A HASSLE to SELLLL

I can hardly sell a 39g complete setup for $180 on here... (Only 2 low ball offers so far)

• 2 weeks later...
Well, it doesn't creak and all the seams line up for the most part. Still trying to get the front doors to align properly. My main gripe besides the lack of instructions is the really thin cheap veneer that is used. I don't know what they used on the 39G stand, but this veneer is literally a water resistant paper like substance. It scratches extremely easily. Now that I have it built, I'm fighting over the decision as to whether to pain it white or not. I'm worried that inevitably the veneer WILL get scratched, and then there is nothing that can be done once the tank is filled and on top.. I did a trial paint job on the inside shelf (which I am now told is not supposed to be used lol) with gloss white krylon, and it came out very smooth and nice.. Tonight the little lady is coming over to give me the official interior design opinion, and I'll decide then. If I paint it white then I'll probably figure a way to paint my Maxspect fixture white as well.. Might look nice..

I've just received my stand from the latest batch of Artisans to go out the door. Definitely this stand seems very different from the earlier ones. Some differences in layout - there is one large rectangular cutout in the back for cables, versus the two small round ones in earlier stands. The middle shelf has the hole towards the back aligned with the overflow cutout on the top of the stand, versus being oddly place in the center of the shelf. The hole has rounded edges instead of being very square as before.

More importantly, while it is still a wood veneer on particleboard, it looks to be possibly a higher quality veneer than in the previous batch. Although it is hard to tell from photos, when I look at the build threads here, the stand looks like the older veneer is a completely smooth, flat print of a woodgrain. The stand I received has a thicker embossed woodgrain that has a rougher grain texture that your fingernals catch on. The cutout holes are the only place that has a cheaper-looking, paper-like woodgrain print that seems to resemble the earlier stands.

I assembled it and the stand looks fairly nice. Unfortunately I can't start a build thread yet because UPS broke the tank during shipping, so I'm not going to see a tank for another week until Eddie sends a replacement.

I assembled it and the stand looks fairly nice. Unfortunately I can't start a build thread yet because UPS broke the tank during shipping, so I'm not going to see a tank for another week until Eddie sends a replacement.

you and everybody else. it's unbelievable. it seems like it'd be easier to count people who don't get a broken tank than people that do. how can eddie afford to do that? and, if UPS is paying every time they break a tank, why do they continue to ship for him?

Ugh.. Though I'm happy he corrected the obvious flaws in the previous stand, considering I just bought mine a month ago that's pretty embittering. The veneer on my stand just sucks, and that center shelf with the center cutout was simply worthless. Did he finally start packing instructions with the stand?

I hear all the horror stories of damaged tanks, but I must admit mine was packed as good as it could possibly be. Thick foam on all sides, cardboard braces on the box corners, etc.

I've just received my stand from the latest batch of Artisans to go out the door. Definitely this stand seems very different from the earlier ones. Some differences in layout - there is one large rectangular cutout in the back for cables, versus the two small round ones in earlier stands. The middle shelf has the hole towards the back aligned with the overflow cutout on the top of the stand, versus being oddly place in the center of the shelf. The hole has rounded edges instead of being very square as before.

More importantly, while it is still a wood veneer on particleboard, it looks to be possibly a higher quality veneer than in the previous batch. Although it is hard to tell from photos, when I look at the build threads here, the stand looks like the older veneer is a completely smooth, flat print of a woodgrain. The stand I received has a thicker embossed woodgrain that has a rougher grain texture that your fingernals catch on. The cutout holes are the only place that has a cheaper-looking, paper-like woodgrain print that seems to resemble the earlier stands.

i wonder if the problem is that the styrofoam he uses is too rigid. maybe he should pack tanks in a combination of styrofoam with support dowels and then something like packing peanuts (with more "give" to them). less stress that has to be absorbed directly by the glass that way.

Ugh.. Though I'm happy he corrected the obvious flaws in the previous stand, considering I just bought mine a month ago that's pretty embittering. The veneer on my stand just sucks, and that center shelf with the center cutout was simply worthless. Did he finally start packing instructions with the stand?

I hear all the horror stories of damaged tanks, but I must admit mine was packed as good as it could possibly be. Thick foam on all sides, cardboard braces on the box corners, etc.

FWIW, I'm still not sure the shelf is usable. Like with the new NAC6 skimmer/sump option, there's only an inch of clearance below the shelf to remove the skimmer cup. So regardless of the original hole location, it seems a back section would need to be cut out around any hard plumbing so that the shelf could be slid out frequently.

No instructions, although it's like most Ikea furniture with only so many ways to put the hardware in the holes. I did have to disassemble a piece once or twice before I got it right, but it only took an hour. Did yours come with round plastic base feet? I guessed those should not be used, so that the sides would transfer weight directly to the floor? The three sides don't sit on the base directly, they are pinned to the base by six horizontal screws, so it look like all the weight would be transferred to those small screws if the plastic feet lifted the sides off the floor.

I can't imagine how badly the tank box must've been crushed for UPS to know there was damage inside all that packing without even attempting delivery. I think Eddie is going to send the replacement via FedEx Ground just in case.

AWESOME thread, i will join the CAD club soon. im totally set on the Artisan series and cant wait to get it this weekend. i just googled CAD lights and then found this forum and them searched again and found ALL this info on CADs amazing!

i saw this set up in a few stores around here in California and it looks amazing. looks better than the pics on the site. definitely looks better than many other tanks and you get alot more for $1000 bucks versus other comparisons. all the stores seems to be sold out of them but said they are scheduled to have them in stock within a week or so.

i called CAD and they said they are making these with new larger 16G sumps now so people can upgrade to a NAC-6 or other larger skimmers. they also are using the Sicce pumps for them now and dropped that cheap China pump that everyone is complaining about. i think its a good direction because, i have read lots of great things about the customer service, tanks, sumps, cabinet, lights everything else but only how bad that pump is. great to know they made the upgrades but no extra on the price!

i think i may just order it directly from CAD if i cant get it by this weekend from the stores that carry them.

excited...EXCited.....EXCITED

i called CAD and they said they are making these with new larger 16G sumps now so people can upgrade to a NAC-6 or other larger skimmers. they also are using the Sicce pumps for them now and dropped that cheap China pump that everyone is complaining about. i think its a good direction because, i have read lots of great things about the customer service, tanks, sumps, cabinet, lights everything else but only how bad that pump is. great to know they made the upgrades but no extra on the price!

Wow! That's definitely some good news. I'd love to be able to use an NAC-6 in my CAD Pro... I'm sure you'll be happy with the tank. I am very happy with mine.

YES! just in the mail that my Pre-order 50G Artisan series is packed and ready to go. i should get it in about 2 days. cant wait to set it up.

Im using a euroreef nano skimmer and have nothing but good things to say about it. Heres a link to the review i gave it

HTH

I switched over to the Euro-reef Nano for my Cad 39G signature. First of 3 skimmers that has actually worked. Keep an eye on the impeller which generates the bubbles. Word is it dies after 6 months and a new impeller costs $37 from Euro-reef.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I currently live in an apartment or rather am moving into a new 1BR in August. I have a 5.5g AIO right now and was planning on upgrading at the end of the summer. I want an AIO because of cost; one day I'd love a custom plumbed system but I'm a college student on a college budget with college space. I had thought about getting the CADLights 22g system with T-5 lighting but I'm a little worried after reading some of the posts in here now (a year ago I was sold). So someone give me the lowdown: Is it not worth it to by CADLights?

NaClH2Ofreak
All I can say, as someone who's done it and followed most of the Cadlights build threads here is this: Don't buy anything but the tank*. Buying equipment from Cadlights is a costly mistake.

Anywhoo, enough about that. I'm late starting today's water change :)

*Although even those show up cracked a disturbing amount of the time.

Im a cad 39gal sig owner and the statement above about sums it all up perfectly in my opinion.

Dennis

All I can say, as someone who's done it and followed most of the Cadlights build threads here is this: Don't buy anything but the tank*. Buying equipment from Cadlights is a costly mistake.

I've "done it" and I am using all original CAD equipment, except for the sump light, and doing great. Can't say that I would complain about anything. I've only even considered replacing the skimmer, bt only as an "upgrade". Most of my money has gone towards automating my setup.

While it may have taken a few deliveries to get my tank I don't see it as a biggie looking back on it. They make a quality product and have only gotten better and better. CAD listens to it's fanbase.

Well I have a 9g CADlights tank only (no AIO, no equipment). The quality of the tank itself is outstanding.

I know nothing about the equipment as I bought it tank only.

It says the return line on the 22g is at the bottom of the false wall... is that true? I'm not sure how I feel about that...

Why is there a post missing -- someone posted and quoted me about an hour ago and now his post is missing -- WTF ???

Nano Reefer

Member No.: 8,025

QUOTE (perverseosmosis @ Feb 13 2010, 03:38 PM) *

Anywhoo, enough about that. I'm late starting today's water change smile.gif

*Although even those show up cracked a disturbing amount of the time.

Im a cad 39gal sig owner and the statement above about sums it all up perfectly in my opinion.

Dennis

________________________________________________________________________________

Are you guys serious? which tank and when did you guys get it?

i just got the 50G Artisan series last week and for around $1000 bucks i REALLY cant see how you can get something out there that is a better than this tank and the quality of the equipment is great. i can imagine spending at least another $500-$800 bucks to get the same stuff from my LFS. i mean heres what i got:

50G 10mm thick 3-sided Starfire panels

18G glass sump. i originally thought i was getting a 16G which is what they said on their site, but they upgraded it to 18G and just gave me the new one with no extra charge. the sump BTW is great quality with all polished edges just like the frameless design of the tank.

it holds a NAC-6 bubble-magus skimmer. i mean the Bubble-Magus isnt "the" best skimmer on the market but it beats the crap out of any other "standard" skimmer that the other Nano's have to offer.

Cool stainless steel lamptree for $120 bucks attaches to a really nice light system too. a full independent fixture unlike the built-in compact stuff from the other nano's.

Sicce PSK-2500 pump. i mean who in the industry puts in a $120 return pump as a standard feature?

Durso drain and Loc-line returns. and also all the media, bio-tubes, refugium lights, cooling fan and all the stuff in between. everything was ready to go right out of the cabinet.

Sturdy cabinet with Walnut veneer matches matches my house nicely and gives it a nice furniture look.

i gotta say that at first i was thinking that i am getting a great tank for a great price, but after putting it together and having it as a part of my house, i can say that it is a great tank regardless of the price. and how they can sell it so cheap is really beyond me.

from last i heard, all the 39G and 50G systems are all sitting on individual pallets and shipped with freight. i got mine on a pallet, shrinked wrapped and everything was in perfect condition because nobody can throw a pallet around i would think.

i dont work for them but if anybody is thinking getting the best system on the market now, they should definitely consider a CAD tank.

Hi all,

I have a 22g cadlight and never changed the pump... does anyone have problems with their corals not happy with the strong flow?? How do you have your tank setup so that the flow power can be lowered??

thanks,

jessica

timdanger
Hi all,

I have a 22g cadlight and never changed the pump... does anyone have problems with their corals not happy with the strong flow?? How do you have your tank setup so that the flow power can be lowered??

thanks,

jessica

would a ball or gate valve fit in the back chamber? if the standard style ones from Lowe's don't work, what about a two-little-fishies ballvalve? those seem to be pretty compact.

if not, you could also split the return, maybe?

• 2 months later...

Hey guys

so im thinking about getting the 50G Artisan series system for $1000 it comes with the Bubble-Magus NAC-6. is this skimmer worth it or should i get something else? i checked many tanks and this one seems to be the best quality and the best priced (what a good combination) that i have seen all around.

i noticed not too many posts here are with the Artisan. heres what i saw:

http://www.cadlights.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=158

NEW 50G Artisan Series system

larger image

Starting at: $899.99

Super Summer SALE, now get a BM NAC-6 protein skimmer for ONLY $99.99 with your 50G Artisan Series system! SALE ends in 2 weeks at 7/22/10!!

New 50G Artisan Series System:

Our new Artisan series aquarium features high quality extra thick 10MM thick glass with 3 sided Starfire panels. All diamond mitered for the ultimate look and feel of furniture detailing that you would expect CAD aquariums to have. Euro style frameless gives you the elegance of Contemporary aquarium designing. The "Open Top" style lets you see the livestock on top for more dimensional views of the reef. Each one of these tanks are hand built with professionally hand tooled solid black seams.

Total Reef-Ready design

Total Reef-Ready design allows for external sump and equipment installation. Each tank is built with a seamless acrylic laser cut overflow box to maximize effective surface skimming and aesthetics. Overflow system has a maximum drain speed of 1000GPH. Completely hides the drain and return plumbing.

FEATURES:

* TANK DIMENSIONS: (L)24" x (W)24" x (H)20".

* 10MM thick 3 sides Starfire glass (front and 2 sides) with furniture style mitered edges.

*(NEW) Cadlights Pro 18G refugium sump. Now with extra large 10.25" x 7" footprint skimmer chamber to fit a standard 70G skimmer or the upgraded 160G Pin-wheel skimmer (does not include refugium substrate).

* (NEW)Laser-cut cast acrylic reef ready overflow box with bottom and top surface skimmers for extra drain efficiency and noise reduction. Extra glass walled reinforcement for added durability. now with Modified Durso drain and Loc-Line plumbing kit.

*Extra quiet 650GPH Utility pump.

*Black adhesive Vinyl background

* PC light strip for refugium.

*3-stage HQI, T5HO, LED-HO lighting system with 150W Prism bulb, 24W x 2 T5HO Actinics and 2 LEDHO moonlights.

* separate circuits and switches for complete automatic and manual control for each T5 bulb, LED-HO system and Halides. Easily compatible with all kinds of timers.

*70G cooling fan unit.

*OPTIONAL STAINLESS STEEL LAMP TREE SOLD SEPARAT

Let me know what you guys think?

-MK

it's a sweet-lookin' tank -- can't go wrong with that glass. i like my NAC3, but I haven't used the NAC6. the NAC6 does have the bubble plate, which would be very useful because the worst part of the NAC3 is the turbulence in the skimmer body.

as far as the rest of the equipment, i don't like the stock halide 14k prism bulb. i've had one of my moonlights in the fixture blow out after less than a year of operation (and i've heard of several others having the same problem, as early as 6 months in). the PC light strip for the fuge is underpowered and a less desirable spectrum for growing chaeto. the fans in both the fixture and the stock cooling fan are loud and only marginally effective.

• 3 weeks later...

has anyone had their moonlights that come on the cad halide fixture last over a year? both of mine have blown in the last few weeks, and they've only been running for about 10 months, and even then, not every night.

Archived