Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kinetic 82g

kinetic

okay ive been wondering forever now, what lenses do you use and how do you get that black border around the picture, its time to get serious with my rebel XT and im tired of having ######ty lenses, i want to get a real nice macro lense and a real nice standard all around lense

I'm using a Sigma 105mm F/2.8 1:1 Macro for the closeups, along with an off camera flash in commander mode run at 1/3 the power and held behind and to the left of the drop. The camera was mounted on my feisol carbon fiber tripod as well.

Just a few lenses I use:

Nikon 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6 VR II

Nikon 10.5mm F/2.8 Fisheye

Nikon 50mm F/1.8d Prime

Tokina 12-24mm F/4

Sigma 105mm F/2.8 1:1 Macro

But it's all in the filters:

Hoya Pro1D Circular Polarizers

Hoya Warming Circ Polarizers

HiTech Graduated Neutral Density Filters

Cokin Solid ND Filters

Hoya Solid ND Filters

Cokin Color filters (wide range)

And some other stuff =P But let's not get off track of the thread too much ;)

well its not really off topic lol

you have some amazing photo's i think i need to get some better filters and better lenses...anyways

i need to get that macro lense for my camera look at how sweet the drop of water is

on a side note...I would of saved $2000 if i would of went with a Elos System 160XL lol

dude sweet, but the onlything is it seems a bit too close to the doorway(or hallway i forgot)

It's right next to the doorway, kind of like how my M-Tank used to be, this one's just 3x bigger =)

when you're in the area you should come stop by. I'm also selling almost every piece of coral I have, so if you want anything let me know =) I'll put up for sale threads soon w/ pix

dont have money, i spent the money i was saving( to buy almost every last frag you where going to sell) on a nano video, but ill let you know, ill probably get your hammers, and some cap frags, maybe some zoas

Looks sweet man. Gonna have to stop by and take a look at it one of these days.

Definitely =) Maybe we can go shoot some pictures after!

Just a quite update:

Added the 250watt Eheim Jager heater to the sump. It fits perfectly length wise into the largest compartment =) It might be a bit overkill though since my equipment seem to be heating the tank up by itself to 77 degrees.

I added ReefCrystals (40 cups so far!) last night and will calibrate my refractometer and test it tonight.

My lighting arrived, but still waiting on ATI Blue Plus lamps.

I bought a 30g rubbermaid rectangle trash can and added a float switch and connected it with my Typhoon III RO/DI so I'll always have at least 20g of RO/DI handy.

Other than that, just waiting for a few Silicon Carbide bits for my dremel to start working on my rockwork, and waiting for the weekend to crawl into the attic to hang my lighting.

Updated pictures soon!

Awesome setup and extremely well thought out. your photography skills are fantastic.

just wondering how you decided on using 2 vortechs as your source of flow/ wavemaker? Why not the tunze wavebox, or tunze pumps on a controller?

by the way, i like your photo shoots on the Berkeley campus.

Go Bears! sigh..

Awesome setup and extremely well thought out. your photography skills are fantastic.

just wondering how you decided on using 2 vortechs as your source of flow/ wavemaker? Why not the tunze wavebox, or tunze pumps on a controller?

by the way, i like your photo shoots on the Berkeley campus.

Go Bears! sigh..

I decided on vortechs because of a few things:

1. They are pretty slick and don't take up room inside the tank

2. Motor is outside of the water, less heat, less chiller power needed

3. Built-in controller

4. Tunze wavebox is big, takes up some real estate, and on 48" long tanks, wouldn't create that great of waves

5. Battery backup, and it lasts like a day+ which is awesome

6. Very even gentle flow, moves water as a mass rather than a "stream". My experience with pumps has been that there's such a concentration of flow, that there will be dead spots and any coral placed too close would get dessimated. With vortechs, you can put corals right next to it and they would live. I'm over the streams of turbulent randomness, but rather I wanted a wide, even movement of the water. Tunze are pretty wide too, but still a bit concentrated at the start.

7. Putting two in the corners on some kind of random setting that ramps up to full blast would be perfect.

GO BEARS!

kinetic can you take more pictures on the matting you used under the stand? also where did you buy it? is it custom cut? I'm looking for something to go under my stand it's a hardwood floor.

Sorry if you already mentioned this somewhere - your thread is getting too long to find specific posts already :)

Quick update:

All my rocks are now in the tank, I didn't include a few big pieces. My lighting is all here, but I need to hang it still (climb into the attic etc). My vortech's ship today so they should be here by next week. And also, my skimmer has the wrong pump, so it should be here soon so I can start skimming =) Pictures this weekend!

Can't wait to see the pics.

Oh, when you get those vortec, stick one in your 4 gallon container. I want to see how much flow you can bring that thing down to. :)

Hey eric, I'll definitely try it out for you.

After a day of having the dry rock in, my skimmer started skimming really well! It skimmed out this tan colored goop that my dry rock gave off. Awesome =)

I decided to do some tests on the tank parameters:

Crappy Seachem Tests:

Ammonia: 0.25ppm

Nitrite: 0.70ppm

Nitrate: 0.20ppm

Salifert Tests:

Calcium: 440ppm

Phosphate: 0.50ppm Phosphate, 0.17ppm Phosphor

Really crappy red sea:

ALK: Normal (i'm getting an ELOS kit soon).

Salinity: 1.023 (just added rock and too much topoff water (bumped my float sensor) so this may be why it's a little low. I'll test again tomorrow).

Edited by kinetic

aquatic gallery has a naked A. ocellaris for $25.00. It's been there for months. Btw, picassos are A. perculas. Figured you'd like to fix your front page mistake since it must have taken you a long time to type it up.

aquatic gallery has a naked A. ocellaris for $25.00. It's been there for months. Btw, picassos are A. perculas. Figured you'd like to fix your front page mistake since it must have taken you a long time to type it up.
Yeah I thought it was a percula too! But the LFS guy said, "nope, ocellaris", but then I think he thought I was talking about a different tank, then a day later he corrected himself, oh well =PBut I bought it and it gets along fine with my ocellaris, so I think I may add both of those guys in when ready.Thanks for the update on the naked ocellaris! I probably can't add anymore fish to my frag tank at the moment, so I'll have to wait until later for these guys.I'll look you up for any leads when I'm ready, thanks a ton for looking out. Edited by kinetic