heres another shot, picked up a pink birds nest today and some blasts enjoy

Picture052.jpg

also moved my sun coral down, in above pic you can see

heres closer of birds nest

Picture053.jpg

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely what I was looking for. Pics look great. The more I look at it I love your rock work. The shape of it. I was looking to do something similiar, just a few more pounds of rock when I set mine up.

thx for the compliment it took probably 5 different aquascapes across 3 months until i became happy with what i felt was somewhat natural looking. the main problem i encountered was the sheer size of the front right main peice of it whilst great for surface area to have new corals on it very much limited my options for aquascaping, the other part which i dont mind but does bug me is the size of extra rocks which corals come on, mainly the very front rock that is covered in polyps really takes up a lot of space too. so in other words pick smaller rocks when choosing your initial setup would be my advice n leave space for a couple more you may add later

what are you looking at setting up?

Yeah when I had my 7 I would only buy frags that came on plugs or loose polyps. I have no problem watching/waiting for them to grow. I always hated those large pieces cause if I love the scape then things would need to be rearranged to accomodate the new rock.

I posted up on my build, it was just the planning stages. I'll get the link for you. "BC29 in the works..." is the thread name. I picked up my tank last night. Put together the stand, drilled for my bulkhead, removed the floor in Chamber 1 and widened Chamber 1 to 2. Took pics of everything. Picking up some water and a rock or two from a club member tonight. I've got 23 pounds of "Marco Rock" sitting in the box near the stand waiting to go in as well. Then last but not least my last bag of South Down sand! Can't find that anymore! Pics will be up tonight.

I've been reading the forums and following tanks ever since I registered I don't even remember when. I just never really posted much. It's all been about just getting knowledge and watching peoples tank progressions.

I am very happy with the initial scape right now. It's perfect in my opinion. Just gotta wait to see how that rock fits in that I'm getting over the weekend. As long as it fits how I am hoping/thinking/picturing it will I can add in my last 4 or so pieces and let the fun begin.

What is that white ball at the top left of the tank? It looks like a crumpled ball of paper.

I really like your designs and that bright blue sponge. Was it a hitchhiker or can you tell me more about it?

slighty modified the aquascape, just moved the sun corals and moved the blasts down to the left it flows much better now will post new pics today or tmrw

• 4 weeks later...

my birds nest is a bit more brown than pink now after about 6 weeks of having it my lfs says if i lower it in my tank it should become pinker and that it may be too high up in my tank is this true? if anyone can help me that would be great

• 1 month later...
Elite Twit

OK so it's almost 2 months with no new pics?! You're going to have to change the title to say "ongoing thread with no photo updates"

Nice looking BC29. B)

I love the MH upgrade really makes the colors pop. We thought about going to that MH set up also, but I don't wanna have an open top tank. Since we live in AZ it would evaporate real fast, plus I don't trust our 5yr old son. He likes to throw things in open tanks....... just ask my father-in-law. :lol:

• 9 months later...

so its been almost a year since i posted, got some new pics of about 3 months ago plus my new aquascape as of 3 days ago after deciding to remove some random rocks to give it a more open feel. im gonna go on a rant here to hopefully help anyone learn fromm my experiences with my bc29 over 2 years.

THIS HOBBY IS ADDICTING AND VERY EXPENSIVE.....BECAUSE ITS ADDICTING LOL :)

all my params are where they should be, i dont do any dosing, i target feed everything with cyclops-ezze cubes. i also feed directly into the water column mysis shrimp cubes, reef roids, phytoplankton, and something similar to reef roids (a powder) which has like salmon roe and squid and all kinds of goodness in it. i have 2 koralia nano powerheads, and my main return pump is a maxijet 900

i am currently adding purple up about a capful every 3 days, as i used to have a lot of pink coraline growing everywhere until one day it just all turned white and green.......hopefully it comes back its so pretty

ok so a few corals have come and gone, some zoas have been stung to much by apistasia, my brain coral eventually had its tissue receed too much and its skeleton was showing, one of my clowns decided to host it making it impossible to feed, eventually used a 2l pop bottle cut in half to put over it while i target fed it but it was too late i think. my blue sponge is about half the size it was i think again due to apistasia growing around its base, i got a red tree sponge that did well for a while until one day it randomly became covered in white stuff over the the top half, to save it i cut it with a razor about halfway down below the fungus outbreak, it seems to be ok now. my 2 ricordia are doing awesome orange and blue but i dont really know how to breed more of them apart from cutting them right down the middle which i dont really want to try.

ive tried a small copperband butterfly for the apistasia but it only lived for about 2 months, i had a six line wrasse for about 8 months whihc one day decided to jump out of the open top :( those are my only fish losses !!

my jawfish is endless fun, constantly building himself little forts and generally moving things where he wants to in the tank, my bi color blennie is very shy but comes out for 30 second spurts if i sit still for a good 10 mins, my clowns host a small bubble tip anenome and a small frogspawn but need something bigger. i have 2 firefish also and a random wrasse that is very shy and blue and white kinda cool. i have 6 peppermints (to battle the apistasia) but i dont know if they really ever eat it. i probably have 10 hermits and 10 snails and a sand sifting starfish. all of the above have been alive and in the tank for over a year now.

ive had a horrible apistasia outbreak like probably over 100 throughout the tank about the size of a penny max, which is under control but not ever an ended battle i feel, joes juice is the answer but you have to stay on it relentlessly many times after killing an anenome it would just regrow 3 where it originally was. the trick is to kill it, wait 5 mins then swish the melted anenome into the water column, if you just leave it there it will seem dead but it will regrow !!

i got a couple of small (plum sized) suncorals for free because they werent looking too good at my lfs.... they still arent looking good. i would only recomend these to very dedicated individuals, mine have grown a couple of new heads but also lost a couple, they require A LOT of target feeding like each head probably needs feeding at least every 2 days if u want them to do well, they also prefer dark places and mainly come out at night so be expecting to feed by moonlights or in the dark if you buy these.

i think my next step may be to turn the 2nd chamber into a fuge, its currently occupied by live rocks and 100's and 100's of apistasia.

alright heres a ton of pics for all you nano reefers, sorry the quality is only medicore, they are in order of time tho across the last 6 months ish and the last 5 are taken 2 days ago

http://i53.photobucket.com

can anyone ID this, ive had it about 3 months and its doing really good and growing new little versions beside it

219.jpg

235.jpg

221.jpg

222.jpg

226.jpg

228.jpg

232.jpg

I LIKE THIS PIC !!!

233.jpg

234.jpg

jawfish up close and personal

NEW AQUASCAPE!!!

236.jpg

NEW AQUASCAPE!!!

245.jpg

237.jpg

side shot blurry :(

238.jpg

closer side shot

239.jpg

244.jpg

purple carpet...can anyone id these tiny purple flowers growning everywhere

Looks like colt coral, or kenya tree. I get the two confused some times.

Your tank looks nice, I like the jawfish photos.

can some people help with with building a fuge, i have read uwwwmatts thread on it, just wanted to know some silly things like where do i get chateo in the first place? how much do i get? once i clear out chamber 2 of lr across a couple of weeks there is a drip tray at the bottom???...do i remove this or leave it in there? do i plant the chateo somehow or just put it in there?

also how does anyone know how i can change the name of my thread??

can some people help with with building a fuge, i have read uwwwmatts thread on it, just wanted to know some silly things like where do i get chateo in the first place? how much do i get? once i clear out chamber 2 of lr across a couple of weeks there is a drip tray at the bottom???...do i remove this or leave it in there? do i plant the chateo somehow or just put it in there?

also how does anyone know how i can change the name of my thread??

Just go to your LFS or another reefer and get a handful or two of cheato. You don't have to do anything, just set it back there. Do not remove the false bottom, it will keep your cheato from moving into the 3rd chamber.

To change the title of your thread edit your first post.

What do u use for filtration? Just LR? or have u upgraded to the fuge yet? anyway what is ur filtration? Just curious got a 29 too and its about a month and a half old. jsut looking for different filtration tactics.

• 3 months later...

received the fuge basket and media basket package and 2 underwater lights and fishsaver from stevie t about a month ago ITS AWESOME!!!!!!! i highly recommend the $100 ish investment via his intank website, everything is clean and looks great and the chaeto is growing like crazy, i started with a chunk the size of a baseball and it has doubled already within the first month, just got a 4 head torch coral that is doing great and i will post pics soon, also pics of the media basket and fish saver and fuge. still cant get pink/purple coraline to return, ever since i changed the lights about a year and 3 months ago from stock to viper k2 metal halide its has all but dissapeared :( a few zoa colonys arent looking good a kind of brownish algea appears to enclose them and then they shrivel up and dissapear, im doing research today on what it could be but it has also got my orange denti :(

• Christopher Marks changed the title to Reeferboys Bc29

Archived