ReefCleaners.org

Reeferboys Bc29

REEFERBOY

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is the tank Stable? Like no fluctuations

nothing really in a good year now, ive even added scrapings from my roommates tank which grows the stuff like crazy (under just regular pcs)

• 5 weeks later...

Hey everyone !!!

Need some help, i think spagetti worms are annhilating my zoas, anyone ever heard of this? i had to take my big zoa colony and break it up to try to avoid losing the whole thing, my sand bed is littered with spagetti worms which from what i have read isnt a problem but some may have came in attached to the zoa colony and almost wiped it.......all other corals are completely fine

cool - well as i didnt get any help with the spagetti worm question i doubt ill get any help with this either but its worth a shot.

my roommates tank rsm130d is an established system an all is well. he just added a toadstool leather which was healthy at lfs. a week later it has some kind of infection or rotting and the polyps wont open. see the picture here

IMG_2646.jpg

any help would be appreciated asap as to what it is or what do to.

we are probably going to cut it out with a razor but would it be better to cut it completely on an angle and then place elsewhere in the tank?

thanks

Sorry dude but I have no advice for either situation. Don't want you thinking we aren't reading! In both cases I'd check things out periodically after the lights are out. Maybe there's something else that attacking your guys' corals?

thx stang - ur always around to help if you can or throw two cents in which is appreciated.

* so my roommate decided to go ahead and completely cut the coral off the rock on this / kinda angle thus eliminating the bad spot. it seems to have worked well. to resecure the coral to a new rock he used an interesting method he found somewhere that involved running a toothpick directly through the base of the corals stalk and then rubber banding the toothpick down to the rock...... the coral is responding well and all polys are back out - ill try n get a pic of what he did tmrw - n maybe a fts update of my tank growing in if i feel like it :)

new pics.

some visible growth over the 6 weeks, some corals moved around to make room for a couple of new ones. one of which i need help with the id

need help with this ones id

IMG_2650.jpg

mar 2nd fts

IMG_2672.jpg

some micromusa still growing well

IMG_2665.jpg

closer left side

IMG_2654.jpg

closer right side

IMG_2652.jpg

these zoas cool color

IMG_2659.jpg

the clown hosting

IMG_2657.jpg

other zoas

IMG_2664.jpg

i really gotta get a macro lens :(

hope you enjoy everyone

can anyone id the coral top of my most recent batch of pics. its like neon green and looks like a brain maze but is an sps tree growth pattern ?

can anyone id the coral top of my most recent batch of pics. its like neon green and looks like a brain maze but is an sps tree growth pattern ?

Candy cane maybe?

some eating time pics and acentic blue lights only pics for you all

fts acentic

IMG_2686.jpg

eating time fts

IMG_2681.jpg

hungry micromusa

IMG_2679.jpg

IMG_2697.jpg

eat up elephant musroom

IMG_2696.jpg

IMG_2674.jpg

blastomusa eat a little and top down acentic shot

IMG_2688.jpg

IMG_2694.jpg

IMG_2678.jpg

IMG_2693.jpg

acanastrea top down acentic only shot

IMG_2685.jpg

pulsing xenia shots

IMG_2680.jpg

IMG_2698.jpg

scolymia button coral - nice mouth shot

IMG_2691.jpg

MYSTERY CORAL - PLZ HELP ID - STANG ITS NOT A CANDY CANE THX ANYWAYS :)

IMG_2692.jpg

Ruffled ridge coral (pagoda coral) almost doubled since i got it in polyp count

IMG_2695.jpg

any comments / questions / advice always appreciated. enjoy everyone

anyone like my acentic pics / feeding pics ?

wanna get a macro lens for my cannon t2i - any suggestions for coral shots it what is will be usd for mainly

• 8 months later...

yo heres some new pics !!! everything is growing like crazy !! a couple of replacement corals and

plus slight scape change on right side. hope you all enjoy :)

fts

IMG_4005.jpg

clown markings

IMG_4032.jpg

home sweet home

IMG_4028.jpg

IMG_4022.jpg

IMG_4021.jpg

IMG_4008.jpg

this acan may has probably quadrupled in size

IMG_4015.jpg

this mushroom has been razor trimmed 5 times in 7 months !!

IMG_4011.jpg

duncan type coral doing vwell with new high placement

IMG_4010.jpg

blastomusa party !!

IMG_4009.jpg

slightly different angled fts

IMG_4007.jpg

if you got a rock with GSP on it or the Frag , lay the rock up against the back wall. The mat will end up spreading on the glass ... Of corse coraline on the glass there helps...

i have 0 coraline growth anywhere....for like 2 yrs now..... but thanks ill look for a rock with gsp that looks rdy to jump off

if you got a rock with GSP on it or the Frag , lay the rock up against the back wall. The mat will end up spreading on the glass ... Of corse coraline on the glass there helps...

Are you still dosing purple up? Coralline needs a few things to get started, stable levels of strontium, low phosphates, mag, alk and calcium should start it up. Do you have a test kit for any of these? If you do, I would test weekly and log it to make sure you are stable, and dose accordingly.

Tank looks great, btw!

Wow, looks fantastic. I missed this one as well. The AIO section needs merged with the member aquarium section, I always forget to look here and only catch them if a new post shows up. :)

You may need to introduce coraline if you don't have any.

I wanted to add some more here.

First off, do you have an algae issues? The tank looks terrific, so I'm wondering how much work it is to keep everything looking so clean.

How often do you change the water and how much?

How do you take care of that sandbed, if you do anything?

Testing:

Please start testing and reporting Alk, Calcium, and SG (salinity). This really helps the rest of us determine what is working for people or to diagnose problems.

You mention adding purpleup but nothing else. Purpleup is mainly calcium and you report calcium is staying at 400 which tells me both calc and alk is being used up. You might have an imbalance ... yet everything looks great.

I read the entire thread, sorry you didn't get a lot of help in the past but it may be lack of parameters and the forum you're in.

I love those blastos :)

Markalot

first off thanks for taking the time the read the whole thread. i read both your in return :)

is there a way for me to move this thread into members aquariums?

in response to your questions

1. ill consider testing params and stuff for the benefit of others but i dont have the best kits in terms of accuracy and dont pay much attention or test ever to be honest.

2. water changes. every week i change 5 gallons...sometimes every two weeks if im lazy. its a 29 gallon so water volume is prob around 22 gallons ... so that would put it at around 20-25% water change, the little aqualife skimmer i got is amazing and helps hugely.

3.every now and then i do a random double water change...ill do a 5 gallon one day and another 5 gallon the next day. i dont know why i do this just feels right and seems to work

4. i have 0 algea in terms of hair/cyano...never got any since recovering from the crash (the little lawnmower blenny prob helps) i feed him seaweed a couple of times a week. i get grime algea that grows on glass that has to be razored of once a week which takes like 10 mins right before water change....also what i find is weird is when i wait two weeks for water change and dont touch the grime i get these little astrea stars on the glass like CRAZY !! also the blenny eats the stuff on the glass too

5. a barely add purple up anymore, not too concerned with coraline growth anymore i guess my tank just does not have the conditions/lighting for it caus i have tried everything from scrapings from my roommates tank too a rock from fish store cover in it in the tank to placing a little frag of rock covered in it in my return pump outlet to spread it everywhere

6. the sandbed.....i think its about 3-4 inches so is just about a DSB. i dont do anything to it, dont touch it, stir it, clean it. nothing. i have about 10 hermits that have been alive for a long time..little guys like the size of a peanut dont know anything over other than the occasional zoa frag. i have two nassarius snails that have been alive for like 3 years..these guys live in the sand and come out mainly for food i have like 3-4 turbo snails..im waiting for boxing week to go grab a bunch more snails and hermits

7. you didnt ask about feeding or dosing but heres what i do recently

- capful or frozen cube of something everyday sometimes everyother day.

e.g

monday - a cap of aquavitro fuel n feed a few fish pellets

tuesday - two cubes of mysis. or a cube of mysis and a cube of cyclopzee

wednesday - a cap of marine snow n feed a few pellets

thursday - a capful of plankton and i use this stuff that i mix with saltwater from tank called maybe some more mysis....i feel if i was a fish i would want to eat at least once a day. so i try to fish my feed once a day

friday - meh maybe nothing other than a few pellets for the fishies

sat - more fuel n mysis

sun- marine snow pellets

small sidenote.....i feed all of the above in the later part of the "lights on day" when all corals are in full bloom

i think my tank does well for soft corals....i think stony corals dont like my water because its quite nutrient heavy but i could be wrongs

8. temperature. ugh summer sucks. always lose a couple of corals or a fish because it gets just two hot...might consider a chiller but its in the bedroom n if makes noise the missus wont be happy ;)

any questions or feedback feel free to post/comment. heres an fts from right this minute with some grime on glass to show you what i mean

heres an fts with water marks grime n a coral bottom left recovering from whatever has annoyed it...maybe like xenia it has just decided to melt away. hopefully not

IMG_4036_zps639428bf.jpg

IMG_4035_zps80fe0941.jpg

just to show u guys it dosent always look sharp n crisp ;)

heres the grime i talk about above

IMG_4034_zpsd89d5a14.jpg

heres two odd anenome/mushroom type creatures...were in different spots in tank a on different sides of the tank a month ago and have found their way to eachother somehow. fascinating !!

IMG_4033_zps943945a6.jpg

Are you still dosing purple up? Coralline needs a few things to get started, stable levels of strontium, low phosphates, mag, alk and calcium should start it up. Do you have a test kit for any of these? If you do, I would test weekly and log it to make sure you are stable, and dose accordingly.

Tank looks great, btw!

ur tank links dont work.......i wanted to look at them :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Reeferboys Bc29

Archived