Cultivated Reef

Anemone keeps rolling over?

scubagirl

I just got a bubble tip anemone yesterday and when i put it in the tank it moved to a different area and then flipped over, tentacles facing the ground. I have tried to put it right side up again but after a while it turns itself back over... is this normal behavior or is something wrong?

RayWhisperer

Is it detached? If so, turn off the flow for awhile. Allow it to get ahold of something with it's foot.

If it's not detached, then it may just be releasing it's water. They do this periodically to waste water. If it's doing that, it should completely deflate and close in on itself. After a few hours, it'll re-inflate itself.

It could, of course, be none of the above.... So, it may be helpful to describe your setup(flow, lights, water change frequency) and your water parameters.

Assuming all of the above listed things are good. Give it a day, then start to worry. If tomorrow, it's back out, give it something to eat.

pH - 8.0

ammonia - 0

nitrites - 0

nitrates - 20, but going down

salinity - 1.023

it's in a 14gal bio cube, i took out the carbon filter and replaced it with live rock. there aren't any powerheads in there, just the one place where the filtered water comes out, which makes a pretty strong current..

the anemone isn't attached to anything because it is on a crushed coral substrate, and i think that it is hard for it to attach to loose substrate. i also just added it yesterday so it may be stress related, and i have not had the lights on today because i am having trouble with a stressed bubble coral as well (that i added yesterday). everything else in the tank is doing great - several coral frags, a yellow cup coral, yellow clown goby, mated pair of perculas. hopefully the anemone will be fine, but we'll see..

sounds like your anemone is malfunctioning.

turn off pumps. place anemone on rocks. allow to attach. turn on pumps once anemone is fully attached.

RayWhisperer

BTA's stay on rocks. They prefer to find a hole to anchor their foot in. Once they have found a spot that suits their needs, they tend to stay put.

Not to beat on a dead horse, but you really do need more light for a BTA. Also, a bit more flow wouldn't hurt.

Yeah I agree with what adin said. Sometimes it can take a LONG time for the anemone to fully attach. I have especially noticed that with the larger anemones like the bubble tip. Cut the flow, allow to attach, and you should be good to go!

I'm going to put it in a place near the top on some live rock and see if it will attach. How long should I leave the flow off, since I'm pretty tired and ready to go to sleep...

Wait - do anemones secrete toxins? Because I just turned the flow back on to see if it would affect that particular spot and a puff of something very pale white came from the anemone!!!

Bottom line - you should consider returning it to your LFS.

Your tank does not have what it needs in the way of lighting and from what I recall your tank isn't very old. You should have an ESTABLISHED tank of at least 6 months before getting one.

How do I know? I made the same mistake - mine survived and grew really well but never thrived like an Anem should. I traded it to a reefer with w/ a larger tank and better lighting and it split for him almost right away and is doing great now.

Edited by Pickle010

I think that is what I will probably do. It isn't attaching to anything and it keeps rolling over, but it's still alive... my only concern is about my mated pair of perculas, for which I bought the anemone. But will they host somewhere else if they need to?

clowns in a tank don't need an anemone to host. They will do just fine without one. They will even breed without an anemone.

Consider a torch, frogspawn, or hammer coral. Clowns sometimes host them like they would an anemone.

dsoz

mine hosts the corner of my tank and sleeps under a powerfilter. you just added a lot stuff to your tank. how old is it? have you tried turning off the flow for an hour to let it attach to a rock yet?

it's in a 14gal bio cube,

A 14g Biocube!!!!

That anemone will grow too big for that tank! Quit trying to attach it to a rock and try putting it in a bag to take back to your LFS!!!

An anemone should not be in a tank that small. Like I mentioned before, get a hammer, torch, or frogspawn if you want the clown to host something that looks like an anemone. But there are no guarantees about a clown hosting anything, even an anemone.

Did I say to take the anemone back (or get a bigger tank)

dsoz

• 12 years later...
Raven C. Riddle

Okay. I learnt about this in Science.

Anemones actually move by flipping over and over to get to where they want to go. It's perfectly natural and there isn't anything wrong with your anemone.

• Like 1
Cencalfishguy56
5 minutes ago, Raven C. Riddle said:

Anemones actually move by flipping over and over to get to where they want to go. It's perfectly natural and there isn't anything wrong with your anemone.

I’ve personally watched mine do this to jump to another rock close by lol 

3 hours ago, Raven C. Riddle said:

This thread is from 2007...13 years ago.  

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...