Innovative Marine Aquariums

120 Gallon Monster...mutates into a 156 Gallon Beast!

eddie29

My thoughts on the UPS is that it is not necessary. A generator is a good idea (I bought one), but if your power outages generally only last an hour or two your tank can easily go without power for that long. Its when power is out for a day or two that you have to be really concerned. I generally turn my tanks filtration off for an hour or two every time I feed my lps just because I'm lazy and leave it off while I watch a movie or get distracted in some other fashion.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmm i think a generator really is not needed either, i would say save even more money and get a vortech with a battery backup, when the power goes out just put it close to the surface to either have it suck in a little air or to move alot of water at the surface

well I just graduated and start my fulltime job next week so that will be the unit I go with when I do the small upgrade.

60 x 30 x 24 island tank with center overflow = uber sexy

I figured I'd get some more practice with this 120 first =)

you should of just went all out and went with a Profilux lol

then I couldn't use my Tivo To go, I'm too cheap to get a second Tivo to watch it on my bedroom tv.

Well I'm off to Home Depot for some material to make my standpipes, these unmatched durso pipes bother the hell out of me and well I need some material to get the plumbing ready for the sump this weekend. The price on the sump is 150, nice I should have saved my money and not bought that 40 breeder. Also the power adaptor was sent to me this morning and Ill have it tomorrow, they are located in St Louis so its a 1 day wait with ups.

Well off to the lfs to get some water to do a waterchange.

Eddie

hmmm yeah loks like my tank will be ordered this weekend at macna...hoping either tenecor or envision will be there...i might be leaving and have half of the money down on my new tank

pics are coming, i swear. I've been screwing around with the new computer and getting all the new programs downloaded. Check out my webserver for my computer..

http://www.swfishtank.com and click on the live stats section, webcam perhaps be up this evening too

More pics be up this evening or in the morning, I need to get motivated and drive to get those rods but its like 40 minutes away and I'm lazy right now.

hey eddie how/where did you get that setup? and also i need to know if you can help me out a little obviously you can setup websites, where is a good cheap place where i can get my webstore up?

matty

I used godaddy, when I started with the web server I asked this guy who I originally bought the used computer from and he suggested it. Super easy to setup and they include hosting. If I were to start a business site i'd like into the Yahoo Business or Google Checkout, both seem relatively easy to setup and bring a sense of brand awareness to perhaps shy first time web buyers. I used Wordpress, but its aimed for personal webpages. Godaddy has a full menu of things for business websites so I'd take a look over there, basically all web hosting companies offer the same thing but those hot superbowl ads finally sold me on godaddy =)

This is what I would do to keep initial costs down.

Depending on how good you are and how much you have of capital I would go to the local university and find someone whose good with Adobe software and let them creat your webpage for you. You could offer them cost on aquarium supplies + some cash, you wouldn't really be out too much money. That probably wouldn't get you a full business page but at least it would get the fundamentals down. Have a competition here on Nano or RC offering cost on a product for the best logo design and incorporate it into your website. Not only does this help with costs but it also brings awareness to the forums that you are starting a website offering aquarium supplies.

well im good with adobe so its not problem, here is the logo already

SeaScapeAquaticsLogocopy.png

coming up with the actualy webpages if i can design them on adobe will be a cinch

looks good, although I'd change the red outlining, it makes it a bit difficult to read. I'd really though give second thoughts about perhaps of having some sort of competition because the word of mouth advertisement will be amazing, but perhaps thats just me wanting a vortech pump at cost =)

wanna make me an avatar?? hehe

lol what do you want for an avatar

also the red lettering is easy to read when its not scaled down by photobucket like it is above so thats not really a concern to me

Hmm i was looking at google checkout and the yahoo thing but the only problem is that they look like they can get pretty pricey compared to free like the other OScommerce, that is free and the same style that www.phishybusiness.com is setup

if I gave you a picture of a fts, can you make it a monster with teeth and stuff and make it seem like its ready to pop out?? hehe

I hadn't seen the OSCommerce, but taking a quick glance it looks pretty good. Free is always good. I'm sure if you ask around like premiumaquatics and saltycritter one of them perhaps would tell you. What are the plans for the online store? Are you going to be offering a little bit of everything or focus more on the premium stuff?

a little bit of everything im not sure what you exactly mean by premium but take a look at prolineaquatics.com thats who im going to be setting up through, so what they can get me is what i will sell, also i will be stocking fish and coral, fish will be bought through a diver out in hawaii whos team of divers is spread throughout the world and can get my fish from pretty much anywhere at decent cost, the fish and coral will be on the website also, but for now i will not ship fish and only coral and drygoods, my main focus is to try and push the premium equipment locally to new people to show how much better the equipment works without having to modify it so they dont have to waste their money, as for custom installations, i will be pushing multiple products depending on what the customer is looking to achieve, living in a gated upper class development really helps and i have a feeling that i will be able to get about 3-4 out of my neighborhood alone, my tank will be an example...speaking of which Envision Acrylics 48x48x24 with 1" sides a 1" eurobrace, and a 1/2" bottom...$2350 shipped that is $500 less then what tecenor wanted before shipping

matty

so one of hte lfs around here can get me some tonga anthias. Price for male is 120, female 40. You think I should just get a bunch of females and let them figure it out? Cause I could get 5 females for the price of a male and 2 females

This just in through the wire.....

Mr. and Mrs. P Dispar were out and about with the family when Mrs. P Dispar was suddenly stricken with something. Her husband and kids were were in shock to see her passout on her food. They quickly rushed her to emergency room, where she is currently listed in critical condition. Mr. and Mrs. A Frenatus were at the diner when Mrs. P Dispar passed out, they quoted as saying "I thought that food had always been funny tasting, but my goodness I didn't see this coming". Authorities have shut down the diner where they were eating at and have started to interview individuals to see if anyone else has been sick lately. We will keep you updated with her status as we learn new information

In other news, city hall has approved consutruction of new housing on the west side of town. Construction should start tomorrow as soon as the construction company gets motivated to pickup the needed acrylic rods that had to be delivered because of scarcity of such items. The new housing development should allow for newer individuals to join this growing burb. When news broke of the approval Mr. Z. Xanthurum, the family P Flavicuda, and N Lituratus were quick to put down the necessary security deposit. Another potential new member, P Diacanthus, was quoted as saying that she was really interested in moving in to the burbs, and that if housing turned out as great as promised she was considering moving here.

More news to come

update to an earlier news report....

The local construction firm eddie29 LLC received the acrylic rods this morning. Work promptly started on the first of 3 columns to be supported by these acrylic rods. We will bring further updates when our camera crew arrives at the scene....

Welcome to the 5 o'clock news...

Eddie29 Construction recently renovated the area to attract new residents and families. "I don't care how much light you have or what kind of aquascaping you do, you still have to be careful... in any reef." warned S. Vulpinus. Our camera crew was able to take a few shots of the new housing.

tank%20121.jpg

As earlier reported this new housing should allow the burb, Eddie's Reef, to expand. An additional security deposit was taken and the new neighbor is C. Rostratus. Mr. C Rostratus is from australia and will be moving in a few weeks to Eddie's Reef, he is currently awaiting for his visa to arrive. The additional new members of Eddie's Reef should be allowed to move in a couple of weeks. The delay is a result of city services upgrade in the waste water treatment facility. It is expected to know be completed in 3 weeks before the new skimmer and sump are ready. The addition of this facility will significantly increase the amount of waste the Eddie's Reef sanitation department will be able to process. ASD was chosen to engineer the facility due to their reputation around the industry. "We felt the benefits justified the expense." explained one Eddie's Reef council member. "Fortunately, our benefactor, eddie29 LLC, seems to have deep pockets and has not denied any of our requests for improvements." We will bring pictures as soon as possible

I used around 100 lbs, I may add a bit more but I would like to leave some areas for a long tentacle plate and a couple of clams so I don't know. If you are thinking about using acrylic rods I'd suggest going with the 1/2", the 3/8" required multiple drills for me to feel comfortable.

Archived