inTank Media Baskets

120 Gallon Monster...mutates into a 156 Gallon Beast!

eddie29

I wish it was the tech tank but its just the AGA tank and then the Oceanic Stand. I guess the guy who I bought this off wanted the look of the expensive tank but without spending lots of money on the tank, I won't really complain because I got it for 600 delivered form Chicago. I really really want a tech tank but I guess this poor mans tank will have to do till I can afford one =)

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah I didn't realize that my temp probe had falling out of the tank when I was messing around with mounting the RK2, its a cozy 78 in there now. I know that my 150 watt heater won't be enough but after the skimmer pump, the return pump and the massive light I want to see if I'll even need a heater at all. On the 58 I didn't need a heater because it never went below 77, its in the basement.

well the sump is finally done. There is a guy in town who makes acrylic tanks who had some scrap material and was kind enough to throw some my way for a few bucks. I'll post tomorrow morning when my new Eheim 1262 gets in =), at last some flow and getting rid of that ugly maxijet and airstone.

Lastly, the guy who I got this from was also kind enough to order me some 3/8" acrylic rods so that I could start drilling my rock to make some columns

change of plans on the skimmer....heres the new beast. It'll be done in a bit, its made locally here in Kansas City.

300_100_0617.jpg

Those pics dont do justice to the size of that tank... it looks like a 10gal with 4lbs of rock in it.

Yeah I know, its pretty bare looking in there and it doesn't help that I'm using a crappy 36" single bulb light to get something on there till my lights here next week. I ordered 100 lbs of rock and so when these acrylic rods are in the tank will look more full

that looks like a nice skimmer

the only thing i would be worried about eddie is when you asked me about the livestock and said that the anthias would be going in the tank with a purple and whitecheek tangs...purples get large and mean and whitecheeks arent very hardy...i can see the purple picking on the whitecheek and stressing it out to the point of death, not to mention both of those tangs would need at least a 180 to coexist with eachother, i was able to pull off two tangs in my tank because both of them were under 4" and did not have their adult aggression that comes with the species

shaggydoo541
the only thing i would be worried about eddie is when you asked me about the livestock and said that the anthias would be going in the tank with a purple and whitecheek tangs...purples get large and mean and whitecheeks arent very hardy...i can see the purple picking on the whitecheek and stressing it out to the point of death, not to mention both of those tangs would need at least a 180 to coexist with eachother, i was able to pull off two tangs in my tank because both of them were under 4" and did not have their adult aggression that comes with the species

I don't see any problem with multiple tangs. Keep them well fed and agression should remain minimal and mostly for show. Of course all fish have their own unique personalities, but I've got a pbt, yellow, purple and blue hippo all doing well in my 120. Also try to give them lots of swimming room and places to hide. I have multiple caves and a lot of swimming room behind and under my rockwork that the tangs use extensively (as do my other fish). Plus I wouldn't get a skimmer ;) and that is my unbiased view.

that many tangs in a 120 is WAY overstocked for fish that rerequire so much swimming room IMO, eddie achilles are nice but you have to remember that the amount of oxygen and flow they need is incredible, we are talking about a skimmer and an air stone minimum with ozone maybe being an option, as for flow we are talking about these are fish the will swim head start on into a full bore tunze 6100 like its nothing and play around in the flow, a skimmer would be necessary for that i feel, im not saying what you are doing is wrong shaggy but i just feel a skimmer would be necessary as for me i think im going to go custom with either an elos 120xl, 160xl, or an AO 180 if i go with tanks like that i would say 2 medium tangs would be the most i would do

shaggydoo541

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong either ;)

I think any tank is way too small for a tang. Have you seen a pbt bolt? Or any tang for that matter. You would need a tank the size of a football field just to get any kind of running room for these fish. I think one reason I have been successful so far is (besides the feeding of course) I have a lot of swimming room front to back and places for the fish to hide. My fish get freaked out all the time but after they hide for a second or two they will venture out and resume normal activities. As for the skimmer you can have one or not... it is definitely not needed so that is all just personal opinion. I also wouldn't worry about O2... get adequate water movement and O2 is rarely an issue in reefs. I don't have any of the equipment mentioned above yet all my fish breathe just fine.

it can be with an achilles tang

and yesi have seen tangs bolt around i have had 2 sohals and a vlamingii personally and took care of a tank that had chevrons, yellows, purples, dejardini sailfins all of which would dart (the sohals by far the worst i have seen)

well just a small update.

Bought myself a Nikon D40 camera to take some better pics of the adventure. I finished the sump finally but I having a small issue. The guy who sold me the tank said that he had two sets of AGA overflow kits but one of them was a Perfecto overflow kit and its driving me crazy. Its having problems with backpressure causing an annoying flushing effect. I'm going to make two new sets of dursos but for hte time being its at least running. I'm also adding more chaeto because the batch didn't make it from my old tank. The Eheim pump is amazing though, if anyone is looking for an internal pump I HIGHLY suggest these brand.

thats what happens when you don't take in consideration the fact that acrylic expands when slighly warmed with the tank water =( Now I'm back to the powerhead and airstone and heater combo in the main tank

The guy making my skimmer who origianlly was going to make the sump for me felt bad and said he would try to fit something in there so he could get me a sump

hmm i wish i would of known you were doing acrylic baffles in a glass sump, first problem is that the silicone wont hold well to the acrylic like it does to glass, over time the acrylic will warp and pull away from the silicone, second is i would of just used glass because its easier to work with and it will stay put in the sump

yeah i learned my lesson. I thought about getting another 40 breeder while they were still on sale but the fact that I had to forcefully push in the breeder in there and i slightly scratched the inside part of my stand made me think otherwise.

They guy said that by Friday if I came over to help that he would have the 450 gallon cube and its sump out of the way that he would have enough working space again to help me out.

well I decided to get some piece of mind and get a QT tank. I made the stand out of some 2x4 studs. I used a workshop light from lows and it has a cool moonlight feature, price total was 50 dollars for tank, studs and light. I got some powerheads off ebay. My sump will be here on Wed next week now so I'll post as soon as I get and like I previsouly mentioned the nano streams will be here tomorrow.

light with moonlight on, its dimmer but the light is reflecting from the lake and is making it look brighter

Tank%20001.jpg

Tank%20002.jpg

just a small update:

first the two nano-streams came in yesterday and I hooked them up. One of them the grill isn't right but I need to wait till Roger gets back this weekend before I can get a replacement. I also ordered the Limited Edition Tek 6 x 54 fixture. I was pretty happy with my 4 x 39 on my 21 deep tank so I figured that I should be able to keep a clam or two on the bottom of my 24" tank with better reflectors and more watts. The fixture should be in sometime next week. I also got a new computer so that will hopefully run myReef. Also, last night we lost power for about 2 hours and I freaked out. I hadn't purchased the UPS system yet so I ran to three different walmarts hoping to find a battery operated air pump and had no luck doing so. Needless to say the UPS system is the next purchase

Very nIce start...

Think about a Generator...security when you step up to a larger tank.

Izzue

I would but heres my problem. My house is large enough and primarily because the hotub and pool that there are two sets of breakers in my house. My tank is in the basement where the secondary breaker is located at and there really isn't space for a generator unless its outside. With the torrential rain we were getting last night I don't think it would have been a good idea to have a generator out there. Granted I'm probably mistaken and its completly safe to have one out there but that was my reasoning. This is the UPS system I was thinking

sua1500.jpg

490 watts lasts 24 minutes. I'm thinking of moving my return pump, which is 80 watts it should last about 160 minutes. Most of the time when power goes out in my neighborhood it lasts just an hour or two. Whats people thoughts?

well just a little note. I had problems with my pH probe to work with my RK2 and after my cat knocked it out of the calibration solution I figured that the dried up probe was no good and that in addition I needed to send my Rk2 for service. Well after the power returned I looked at the temp to see how low it dropped and I noticed that my pH was reading 93.xx (first time it moved from 7.0) and I started thinking. Found a couple of packets of calibration solution and hoping it really worked, it calibrated!!! No idea what caused it, but digitalaquatics was aware of the problem and figures that the processor was hung up and that the reset caused it to work again. Not complaining at all....Also the new computer will be here Monday morning so my webserver will be up again.

Archived