Innovative Marine Aquariums

?'s on modding eclipse hood

seagul

Hello, first post here at NR. im a member or RC,RB,MASM also.. ive been doing the SW thing for about 4 months now. FOWLR only. now i want to jump into some corals.

my problem...

i really love my 22 gallon tank, with the eclipse hood it came with, i think it looks very sleek an stylish something that is important in showing off a good reef dont yuh think?

well has anyone, or has anyone seen someone mod an eclipse hood? im not looking to buy 80$ retrofit kits, im looking to totally revamp the inside. ive head of people cuttin the filter section out ect..

the hood i have is one of the largest made by eclipse. so lots room to work with.

idea's anyone? i have powertools and im somewhat skilled with them. im a true DIY'er just looking for some guidence.

I have an Eclipse 12 and it is very possible to put many different types of lighting in your hood. I don't know what you mean by not going with a retrofit kit since that is most likely the easiest way to update your lighting. You can cut out the filter and the lighting. You can update it with powercompcts or T5s . I don't exactly know what hood you have since as far as I know, Eclipse didn't make a 22 gallon tank. A picture would be nice if you have one. I have jammed a 96W quad 50/50 powercompact and a 32W dual actinic pc into my hood. I took that crappy filter out on day one and run an external canister. I also run a protein skimmer on the back of the aquarium.

this tank isnt one of those eclipse acrylic tanks, its a standard glass tank with an eclipse hood purchased separetly. ive been told its 22 gallon but i just call it a 20 haha.

pics it is:

lighting...

sw002.jpg

front veiw...

sw001.jpg

measurements of tank and hood. If it is 24" you could put T-5s in. I think your best bet though is to build your own canopy and have metal halides. I would advise you NOT to get pc lamps as you WILL want to keep more light demanding corals in the future. I did a 150w mh "pendant" for $160 shipped.

96w on INDIVIDUAL REFLECTORS. This is going to be where the space issue will most likely occur. Indi. Refle. mean that each bulb has its own reflector, not just one sheet of reflective metal. You could also get by with 48w or 72w.

96w-4 bulbs

72-3 bulbs

48-2 bulbs.

Archived