SaltCritters.com

Geo's [BioCbe 29g] Reef Aquarium

ge0

Yeah, I havent read anything so far that says Clams live well under PC lighting. But, supposedly, farm raised clams need less lighting then natural clams.....Is this true????

However, here is my dilema:

These are farm raised Crocea clams. I have talked with 3 reef stores (other than the one I bought them at), and they all say farm raised clams should do fine under PC lighting. However, I have found no other source ANYWHERE online that agrees with them. I guess the next stop is to call the farm raised clam police :P

Additionally, I read on a clam website that it is possible for the clams to feed the algeo growing in them if your tank water is nutrient rich.

Now, I am not too sure what to do. I have actually come to really like my clams. They look great and add character to the tank.

But, as I stated in a post above, I never planned on having clams. I don't want to upgrade to MH right now. So I suppose I need to finalize my research then decide what to do.

Herein is the dilemma, Do we believe everything an LFS tells us? Let's face it, they're in the business to make money. I know I've been guilty of it. I bought a juvenile yellow eye kole tang because the LFS told me it would stay small, this after I questioned him about tank size requirements. Guess what? He got big, fortunately, I found another LFS that took him off my hands. Later, the same LFS that sold me the tang, told me a deresa clam would survive under my stock pc lighting, it didn't. Needless to say, I no longer patronize that LFS.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice pictures bud...what kind of camera did you get? They are nice sharp pictures. Looks like the clams aren't doing too bad in the tank....although I'm no clam expert :)

thank you for the support and kind words.

I got an olympus ?770? it works underwater. So, some of the pics I took by placing the camera in the tank, by far the best way to go. It also has an underwater macro setting, which I used.

I will get more pics up later.

I submerge the whole camera. I have a ton of other pics, I will post them soon. I am looking for some kind of funky tri-pod to you that will extend into the tank.....we shall see what I can fabricate.

I really like your tank. I'm amaze all the corals are doing so well with the stock lighting. Still amazes me what you can keep with the stock lighting! Now I wonder what you can keep under the 4.36 Upgrade lighting! Wonder if that's good enough for your 2 beautiful clams?

• 2 weeks later...

Well quick update:

MY other gillardi clown fish died of uknown causes,

One of the two clams was eaten by something in my tank, have no idea what it was,

the other clam is doing good still.

Added:4-wheel drive Goby - $20

Got back from my honeymoon to French Polynesia, and everything in the tank looked great, all the die off happened before I left.

Will post more pics soon, but all the corals are growing in nicely and look very happy.

Also, something ate my Rass 4 days after I put it in the tank, but that was 4 weeks ago or so.

I like your tank, a few things though:

You really need to find a good LFS. A knowledgeable conscientious LFS is the best thing in the world for an aquarist. They aren't easy to find sometimes, but a LFS that has been around knows it's better to have repeat customers that they can say "no, do not buy this fish (clam, coral, etc) it is bad for your tank/situation" and you become a more knowledgeable and responsible aquarist than to just ring up anything you think looks neat.

I think you are putting too many organisms in your tank at too high of a rate. By my count you have added over 10 corals and 3 fish to 20 gallons of water in a period of less than three months. I wouldn't add that much life to a mature 100 gallon tank in that period of time! Please slow down. These mysterious deaths may not be quantified by your water params, but trust me, it's from bio-overload of your tank.

IMO you robbed yourself of one of the most interesting times of a new aquarist getting a nano - seeing all the wonderful life in/on live rock with nothing else there. If you ever start over, try it! Get just live rock and after a few weeks take a look at what you have, you will see tiny corals growing, crabs, shrimp and pods all from seemingly nothing!

Please give the clams to someone with a better lighting rig or get a better lighting rig. There is no clam - farm raised or not, that can live with any sort of fluorescent lighting. Those clams will die slowly in your tank.

It's really a pretty tank, but if you are new I'd hate to see someone get discouraged by their stuff dieing off, becuase it's not supposed to be like that. You can conceivably own a tank with the same life in it for years.

I just got a 29 cube. It's very neat, unlike my old 100 gallon that had a million things to worry about. Everything in the cube is contained! I'm actually having a tough time believing such a simple setup can handle salt! :) I had to downsize due to moving. I don't know if anyone tried moving with a 100 gallon, but it aint fun! I had to get rid of most of my stuff and my very favorite stuff I rounded up and put in my new cube. I'll post some pics soon. :)

Barb...why would you tell someone to dose when you have no idea what his levels are at? :unsure:

Geo- hope you had fun on your honeymoon! Did you do any diving while out there? Lets see some underwater pics with your fancy camera if so. :)

Barb...why would you tell someone to dose when you have no idea what his levels are at? :unsure:

Because if you aren't dosing, then your levels are at zero. :P Frankly, I was lazy. Yes, you should test of Ca levels. I don't know if there is a Strontium test kit. If you follow the instructions on the bottle, I do not think you can overdose the tank.

barbedwire, I have to disagree with you. Calcium and Strontium are components, along with others, of the salt mix you are using. In a lot of cases a small tank like a 29 gallon will replenish these components with your first salt mix and with subsequent water changes. As you begin to add coral they may not be replenished in the correct amounts according to the tanks usage but they are there. It is inaccurate to say "Because if you aren't dosing, then your levels are at zero."

+1 on the above. I totally agree with Spanko and Tudizzle that you should for one, always test your params before dosing anything and also, with such small tanks (it's all relative), water changes go a long way when you don't have a lot of calcium loving corals in the tank. Now once you start adding SPS, clams, etc. you would have to start seriously taking a look at the calcium and other levels.

There are a lot of tanks out there that are skimmerless and basically just run on weekly water changes along provided there is a lot of biological filtration.

I appreciate and welcome everyone's comments.

I do dose for calc/alk, but I test to keep it on track. An interesting note, natural sea water has an alk of about 125ppm, but the recommended alk for a tank is 180 to 300ppm, I dont know why.

Well I test for everything I dose, with the exception of an iodine suppliment but I dose 1/10 what they recomend.

Mis-information? It took how many pages to tell this person that he/she is adding too many things to this tank? You guys are suckers.

I almost think he is someone just trying to mess with geo...3 posts all on this thread and all full of mis-information.
Yeah, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Archived