Coral Vue Hydros

Geo's [BioCbe 29g] Reef Aquarium

ge0

New Corals!!

Just got back from Fraggle Reef's show room (really just a small industrial area with several tanks. They have some really amazing specimens and good prices.

Duncan (1 head) - $20

Green Candy Cane (20 headed) - $30

Button Polyp (Zoa) (20 headed) - $30

Frogspawn (4 "heads")- $30

Got them in the tank a few minutes ago. Will post pics when they all open later today!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking good man....congrats on the corals. You'll have to post some more pics once they are out in their full glory after they settle in.

Looks like those candies are nice and happy in the tank. Great deal on them as I can see one or two that are in the process of splitting.

Are you spot feeding them mysis yet? Let me tell you, nothing beats spot feeding corals like acan/candies and other LPS with mysis in the morning or night when the tentacles are out. It's too cool watching them pull them in...they look nice and happy for days after that.

No, but I want to start spot feeding. Do you have a video or play by play instructions??

I was wondering what the best way to feed my LPS and my Duncan is.

Mysis, krill, even brine shrimp only once in a while. Thaw in a glass with some tank water. Turn off all pumps. Suck some food up with a turkey baster, squirt gently over and onto the particular coral. Then try to keep the f$%@%g shrimp away while they eat. I usually leave the pumps off for about 20 to 30 minutes.

Don't see why not except the less you put your hands in your tank the better off it will be. Your hand and whatever is on it, soap, food, yucky stuff I don't want to list here, are all contaminants.

Thanks for the input. I bought a couple more food types, and have made a sort of "custom" blend that I feed once a day (just a few drops). Then every few days I plan on spot feeding with a turkey baster....comments?

Sounds like a plan to me....there are a lot of people out there that make up their own type of reef food mix and then just feed that. I wrote down a good one a while ago in hopes of using it but can't find it now.

My clowns and firefish are pretty happy right now with the Prime Reef flakes for the time being so that's what I'm using. Every once in a while I throw in some mysis just as a treat.

Have you tried spot feeding yet? I would say try and do it once the lights go off in the tank since that's usually when the feeders will come out. You can just put a couple of drops of the thaw juice in the tank and that should get the corals all excited :)

I added some cyclop-eeze to my tank yesterday afternoon and I swear my corals cra*pped themselves they were so excited. Zoas, rics, and sps all were eating like crazy.

Oh yeah, turkey baster is the way to go for sure.

So I have been feeding the hell out of my tank, most direct spot feeding. The corals don't seem to get full. But they look happy as can be, as far as I can tell.

I suppose as long as my nitrates don't sky-rocket I am ok. I have read a lot of threads cautioning against over feeding.

My CUC gets really excited when I feed, they dont seem to be full either, still diligently working like scabs......I hope they dont unionize any time soon.

• 2 weeks later...

LFS was having a sale, so I stopped buy (I need water for a water change anyway).

Just added:

5 heads of ricordia mushrooms - $50

Pair of Gillardi Clown Fish - $37.49

6 more snails (margarita, astria, cerinth)

Hydor Water circulator to distribute the water flow

Pure-gen in 1st chamber

Chemi-Pure in 1st chamber

Modified stock filter and replaced media with filter floss.

Pic of the tank with the new goodies:

dsc03161ly4.jpg

And the shroomies:

dsc03162tw6.jpg

I found that with the Tunze 9002, keeping the water level consistent is the key to good, constant skimming. Even though I have an ATO, I still don't necessarily get all the much skimmate although I still get some good stuff.

How often are you cleaning out the collection cup? Make sure not to get your hands all over the part that slides down into the skimmer because the chemicals and oils on your hands will either make the skimmer freak out or make it take some more time to start skimming again. I clean mine about once a week and it takes a day to really get going good again.

The good and the bad:

Added a Korilia 1 to the tank today. The circulation is awsome, and all the corals seem to like it.

The smaller of my 2 clown fish is now MIA, as of 514pm local time. Checked everywhere, cant find him or a carcass. I am baffled. He was acting a little strange last night, but, not that strange.

My Duncan now has 3 new heads growing out of the base. I think hand feeding it cyclopies has worked!!

Everything in the tank looks good, but where in the f**ing H**l is my other fish!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear that the Koralia is keeping things happy in the tank and that you're getting some growth on the duncans. From what I hear, they grow really quick once they get settled in. It's kind of funny that since they originally came to the states from Australia, people from Australia say they are like Xenia over here. There was a huge craze over Duncans about 6 months ago just like the whole micro craze.

Sorry to hear about your clown....have you found him yet?

The good and the bad:

Added a Korilia 1 to the tank today. The circulation is awsome, and all the corals seem to like it.

The smaller of my 2 clown fish is now MIA, as of 514pm local time. Checked everywhere, cant find him or a carcass. I am baffled. He was acting a little strange last night, but, not that strange.

My Duncan now has 3 new heads growing out of the base. I think hand feeding it cyclopies has worked!!

Everything in the tank looks good, but where in the f**ing H**l is my other fish!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check for the clown in the back chambers. If you don't have something to fill the void between the display and the chambers there is a good chance he is back there.

I added him less then 2 weeks ago. The other one I got from the same LFS is doing well. I called the LFS, they said they will cut me a deal on a new one.

I have been checking my water and it is fine. All my corals are opening up.

But, my Zoas have been looking pretty moderate, not great, but they are opening.

Archived