Coral Vue Hydros

Geo's [BioCbe 29g] Reef Aquarium

ge0

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
However if you do add another of the same clown make sure it is smaller.

Sorry to hear that the clown didn't make it. I agree that they should get along as long as you add a smaller one. I'm sure there will be some "disputes" to feel each other out when you first put it in there but they should get over it. Just make sure it's smaller than the one in there now.

What kind of clams did you get, and how big are they.

Just asking out of curiosity not because I am the clam police.

But I did just grab a beer and popped up some corn :P

um...well...my fiance thought they were really really pretty. So they are the pretty kind. The shells are about 2 inches in max dimension.

Any updates? Pics - Stop holding out!

Ok, ok I will add pics soon, but just cam back from 2 different LFS'

I just added:

Zenia ($36) - Puppies & Guppies

Hot pink Zoa frag - 20 small heads ($10) - Tong's

Zoa frag similar to Zoanuts "Watermelon" - 10 heads ($10) - Tong's

5 black turbo snails ($10) - Tong's

2 large sized Narcisis snails for turning the sand bed ($7) - Tong's

1 small blue mushroom head - bought it because the color is amazing ($5) - Puppies & Guppies

1 Pepermint Cleaner Shrimp ($20) - Tong's

I will get pics up once everything settles down and opens fully

The clams look good...... for now. However, after reading about your setup, you may have problems later on with them. These are some of the most light demanding clams and require strong lighting. Unless I've missed something, you have stock lighting, and it isn't strong enough. These require MH and I suggest you do more reading on them. A good on-line source would be here:

http://www.clamsdirect.com/

They have a good forum where you can post questions. My experience with clams wasn't good. I also have a BC29 and I tried a derasa clam, one of the lesser light demanding ones, and it eventually died. I won't try another one until I get MH lighting, Good Luck with yours, they're Beauts!

Basser - Do I keep the clams for now? How do I know when they will die? I can always take them back to the LFS. I think I have already gotten my $26 worth just staring at them everyday :)

Thank you for the advice. I never intended on having clams, but now, I may be in the market for MH lights so I can keep them.

BTW I do have stock lighting.

Basser - Do I keep the clams for now? How do I know when they will die? I can always take them back to the LFS. I think I have already gotten my $26 worth just staring at them everyday :)

Thank you for the advice. I never intended on having clams, but now, I may be in the market for MH lights so I can keep them.

BTW I do have stock lighting.

That's a real good reason to get MH! As far as telling when they are dieing, I'm not sure. My clams' mantle was all decayed, and this happened like over-night! Clams are beautiful to look at, that's for sure. My LFS had 2 that were well over a foot long! Can you say "clam chowder"? J/K Tell your fiance you need a light up-grade! ;)

I am happy to report that my 1 head of Ducan I bought 4 weeks ago now has 4 new heads! I now have a 5-headed duncan! The 4 new heads are still small, but by feeding the duncan every-other day it has really taken off. One of the head is about 3/8" the others are 1/4" diameter.

I will try to get pics once they grow out a little more. But, so far so good!

My strategy was to feed the hell out of it. I use freeze-dried cyclopies and frozen misis shrimp. I either feed it by hand or I use a long tube connected to a syringe. Then I sit and beat off the hermit crabs for about 20 minutes till the mouths on the duncan are all closed up.

Two schools of thought on the clams and light. Some say that spot feedings to the clam are sufficient for the clam to grow at least until smaller that 3 inches, while others feel the only way for a clam to be happy is thru MH.

More and more nano's are starting to be the homes to dif varietys of clams even w/o MH.

I say as long as they are feeding, growing mantle and are not starting to show any ill signs, enjoy them.

Thats sweet about your Duncan, I love when you can really see signs of visible growth like that!

Added:

Hawian Feather Duster - $13 - Jeff's Exotic Fish

Barnacle Goby - $20 - Jeff's Exotic Fish

Stripped?? Rass - $35 - Jeff's Exotic Fish

Well the clams are still doing well. One clam seems to need a little more light then the other. But they still look good. They have been in the tank 2 weeks or so.

I am now trying to figure out where else I can place corals. You guys have any suggestions??

The clams will probably die slowly, probably longer then 6 months. Like cancer, they'll just get worse and worse. Its not something that will happen in a week. But if you get rid of them after 3 months, there is probably some damage already done.

I also bought a clam when I first got my nano, then after I learned that they require strong light, I sold it to my buddy that had mh's, about a month later.

Yeah, I havent read anything so far that says Clams live well under PC lighting. But, supposedly, farm raised clams need less lighting then natural clams.....Is this true????

However, here is my dilema:

These are farm raised Crocea clams. I have talked with 3 reef stores (other than the one I bought them at), and they all say farm raised clams should do fine under PC lighting. However, I have found no other source ANYWHERE online that agrees with them. I guess the next stop is to call the farm raised clam police :P

Additionally, I read on a clam website that it is possible for the clams to feed the algeo growing in them if your tank water is nutrient rich.

Now, I am not too sure what to do. I have actually come to really like my clams. They look great and add character to the tank.

But, as I stated in a post above, I never planned on having clams. I don't want to upgrade to MH right now. So I suppose I need to finalize my research then decide what to do.

I have to agree with you I have also looked into the Clam World and all signs point to Hi power lights...

but you do gave a good point in that they are farm raised Calms. Good luck

Archived