SaltCritters.com

How Many Peppermint Shrimp?

HogWinslow

HogWinslow

I have a 10 gallon nano that been set up for 5-6 weeks. I'm starting to get Aiptasia so I want to get a Peppermint Shrimp. Should I get one or two? Do they need any special care or feedings?

Thanks,

Hog

You would only need one but it's no guarantee that it will eat your aiptasia. Peppermint shrimps are scavangers and will eat almost anything like flake food, brine, mysis, etc.

they tend to be more social in larger groups IMO anyway. I have 3 in my 20 (there were 4 until recently) and they spend a lot of time out and about during the day, at night they seem to like powerhead surfing for some stupid reason.

also, don't expect to drop them in and have them attack the aiptasia right away, mine took a week or two before they would even look at an aiptasia then all of a sudden there were no more aiptasia :)

they will eat just about anything, which can be a problem if you have corals/anenomes which require target feeding. any time you try and feed one of you corals the shrimp is going to get in there and steal it.. it's a pain, but a small price to pay for no aiptasia..

YSMV

-skeletor-

My new 20L Has an Aiptasia also. My first impulse was to ditch the rock it was on, but my guide at the Lfs told me to try a Peppermint first. So that is what I am doing. I'll let you know how it goes.

Could ne1 else with experience in this area please respond with your observations.

If you get 2, you'll end up with a regular supply of zoa for your other inhabitants to feed on. Our peps seem to be on monthly cycles of births, offset by 2 weeks. Makes the other inhabitants happy.

Noel

In my 90 i had sooo many aiptasia! i slowly added 6 peppermint shrimp. along with a copperband butterfly. well there is harldly any aiptasia anymore. but honestly dont know if the peppermints did anything. i haven't seen them eat. in fact... i hardly ever see them. they are constantly hiding in all the LR. well just my opinion, they probly eat smaller ones, in harder to reach places.

Brian

Archived