inTank Media Baskets

Hitchhiker in zoa colony

Omen

This popped up in the zoa colony I just got. Can anyone ID it? I'm thinking some kind of anemone. It's kinda pretty so I'm hoping it's not harmful...

Thanks.

Picture010Medium.jpgPicture010Medium.jpg

from the pic it looks like either a palythoa button, or a majano anemone more like the anemone becuase of the tents, but you can easily kill it with a syringe and some lemon juice i did that to mine

from the pic it looks like either a palythoa button, or a majano anemone more like the anemone becuase of the tents, but you can easily kill it with a syringe and some lemon juice i did that to mine

Will that affect the zoas around it?

SaVeThEeELs

thats an anemone....those bastards killed my devils hand! i want to blood! kill it!

i used sulfuric acid....from my test kit....but that will ruin a good syringe needle...

It is a type of majano anemone. I have seen them for sale occasionally as a "tulip anemone". I traded some coral, macro, etc... with a gentleman from New York a couple of years ago. I met him at Reef Centrals forum........anyway, he had told me he would give me some "tulip anemones" because they were small and would "be good in a nano" lol. They don't have much of a sting as far as I can tell. I have never seen any coral retract from them anyway and I have more than one in with my zoas. If you can keep it in check, and you like the way it looks, keep it. If you don't keep an eye on it.............you could end up with quit a few more.

I see two in the pic. One in the back.

It is a type of majano anemone. I have seen them for sale occasionally as a "tulip anemone". I traded some coral, macro, etc... with a gentleman from New York a couple of years ago. I met him at Reef Centrals forum........anyway, he had told me he would give me some "tulip anemones" because they were small and would "be good in a nano" lol. They don't have much of a sting as far as I can tell. I have never seen any coral retract from them anyway and I have more than one in with my zoas. If you can keep it in check, and you like the way it looks, keep it. If you don't keep an eye on it.............you could end up with quit a few more.

I see two in the pic. One in the back.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on them.

Helfrichs Chick

ZAP THAT SUCKER! :D It will burn your zoas. For the record, I do NOT like joes juice. It seem to be like fertilizer for aptasia and kin. Get stop aptasia. Works like a charm use it in tank, and turn off all water movement for a little while. Easy fix, dont want to loose pretty zoas, I have some that look just like those. Love em.

I would kick someones a$$ if they tried to sell me majanos as a coral. SMACK SMACK. sorry its late.

I have never seen any coral retract from them anyway and I have more than one in with my zoas.

Um you can see the zoas surrounding it retracted. KILL IT! GOOD TIMES KILLIN MAJANOS!

that looks like a mantis shrimp. :o

What? where????

ZAP THAT SUCKER! :D It will burn your zoas. For the record, I do NOT like joes juice. It seem to be like fertilizer for aptasia and kin. Get stop aptasia. Works like a charm use it in tank, and turn off all water movement for a little while. Easy fix, dont want to loose pretty zoas, I have some that look just like those. Love em.

Thanks! I'll try that.

You can do what you want...................opinions are part of what makes these forums such a great learning experience.

These are mine........in the zoas........no problem.......been there for 2 years.

majano-tulips.jpg

Nice to have some photographic evidence! Wow, 2 years!

There are so many varying reports on majanos. I've said it before, but maybe it bears repeating--the common name majano seems to be applied to any number of Anemonia species, and I'd think it's quite possible that various species may exhibit various levels of invasiveness. Some of them sound no more problematic, even less so, than some of the "approved" anemones.

I'd approach them on a case by case basis, or at least go with your natural tendency, whether it be "better safe than sorry" or "hmm, let's wait and see..."

Just my $0.02.

--Diane

Helfrichs Chick
that looks like a mantis shrimp. :o

Smoke crack much?

ANYWAYS, I first said it was a majano but now looking im not so sure. I ant to say maybe Actinia sp? Lemme gto through a few books I will try to find it, not im on a mission.

floridaricordia
there fine. i believe it has a lime green stalk

suppressive fire-I love your avatar. Now to the question in the post... Love that avatar. Um, What was the question? Oh, yea. OK, you have a pair of mojos bouncing around in your zoas...

suppressive fire-I love your avatar. Now to the question in the post... Love that avatar. Um, What was the question? Oh, yea. OK, you have a pair of mojos bouncing around in your zoas...

LMAO!!!.........yeah, I know what you mean.

Archived