Pod Your Reef

Birthday Gift - 14G Bio Cube

racerfreak

I did some more work on my stand and hopefully i will have my sump/ refugium done soon

I put the original backing on

IMG_0570.jpg

Then I put in the new backing

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

I'll have about 22" of space to play with underneath the shelf(not installed yet)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks nice and sturdy....

Are you having to run electricity to that wall or something...is that why you're having a new line run?

Yea, the stand will be really sturdy when i'm done with it. I have to paint it and put on the new top I ordered for my stand. :lol:

Well, all electricity runs to one circuit breaker in my room. If I plug in the tank and all the stuff to the tank... I’ll blow the circuit. I already have a TV, computer, and video game systems hooked up in my room. I already have a plug, but i have to have it made into it's own circuit.

Ok... I know my tank is moving at a rate slower than a snail but by january 2008* I plan on having at least lr, fish, and inverts

My real major concern right now is:

-PVC or Tubing?

-I have a MJ 400 (106gph) but idk if it's good enought.. i'm thinking of switching to an MJ 900 (230gph), I also am planning on having 3 spouts out of that one pump for better flow :lol:

Ok... I know my tank is moving at a rate slower than a snail but by january 2009

2009? That's abotu a 1 1/2 away. Did you mean by January of this year? Doesn't really matter how slow you take it, definitely better to do it right the first time around instead of rushing through and then not enjoying it. Sometimes I think I get more enjoyment out of taking things slow, mulling over decisions, and just tinkering with things here and there.

Sorry I can't be more help on the pumps or PVC questions....I'm sure others will have some input.

I did mean 2008, so canged it to 2008 :lol:I do enjoy taking it slow, it's always nice to get it right the first time around.

Does anon have any ideas:

PVC or Tubing?

-I have a MJ 400 (106gph) but idk if it's good enought.. i'm thinking of switching to an MJ 900 (230gph), I also am planning on having 3 spouts out of that one pump for better flow

tsince your running a sump setup, im thinking your using the pump for the sump correct? if you are, i would go with the higher flow. 106gph is the highest flow the pump achieves. if you factor in the head difference and the plumbing, your probably looking at half that.

as for tubing or pvc, its all up to you. i dont think theres any difference between the 2. you could set up your plumbing relatively fast if you use tubing. pvc would take longer because you need to measure, decide what goes where, glue and wait to dry. it would look a lot cleaner, but if you decide you want to change your set up later down the road, you have to redo the whole pvc plumbing.

looking through how your work is meticulously detailed, i would say pvc would be a better choice for you

well I'm deciding on the pump for my tank. I'm gonna have 3 spouts.

Piping for my adittional flow :D

IMG_0597.jpg

Some More Stuff for the Tank

IMG_0603.jpg

Cutting Acrylic for my Sump :lol:

IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

you bought sooo much crap you could have saved money on and bought useful stuff instead.

Let this be ... constructive criticisms.

Planning to get Equipment:

-Aqua Gloves - waste of money, if you know how to wash your hands...

That aquarium mat - waste of money, do you own a towel and a dryer?

The coralife thermometers - waste of money, very inaccurate pieces of crap, do a search on almost any reef fourm

The aquaminder - god I hope that was a freebie ... come on rich kid don't you own a cell phone with a planner?

The bio balls - Ditch them immediately replace them with LR rubble, do a search on almost any forum they're nitrate factories

Those books - All of them a waste of money, check your local library... or you know read online reefing forums...

That Hawaiian bed sheet print - ... no comment

That 350z - could have gotten a mustang for cheaper that was better

All in all you chose a decent tank with lots of potential, so while you're throwing money at stuff while you're at it get a computer for your tank it'll save you a lot of head aches

Good luck, keep your thread updated, ask questions before buying supplies. and that skimmer... about the best thing you bought, go for it.

You should have listened on the Maxijet sizes though, you've got too much there champ

There is a difference between constructive crit and just being a prick.

lol, yea...

what do you guys think about a maxi-jet 400(106gph) for flow for my tank?

I am thinking of using a maxi-jet 900(230gph) or a maxi-jet 1200(295gph)

lol, yea...

what do you guys think about a maxi-jet 400(106gph) for flow for my tank?

I am thinking of using a maxi-jet 900(230gph) or a maxi-jet 1200(295gph)

Not sure, but I am more interested in how your plumbing is going to work. I too wanted to make a larger tank on the bottom of my 29 g BC. I was going to make the bottom tank house all the macro algea, deepsand bed and most of the copepods - and place it on an opposite lighting schedule. However, the dangers of power outtage and the bottom tank overflowing is a constant scare.

I do remember one of the nanoreef members actually drilling a hole into one of the chambers (behind the rear glass). The hole was drilled at a safe level that insured no overflow of the bottom chamber. I decided not to even do a bottom tank, mainly b/c I have livestock in the main tank already and it would be to hard to pull it off, without the possibility of losing my stuff.

They do make HOB refugiums with a built in skimmer and light, but it is pretty expensive. I may just scrape the paint off of the middle chamber, slap a light on it and place cheato in there and call it a day lol.

-SirTagle, I am planning on making an overflow box in the first compartment and having it siphon to a box behind the tank and then into my sump/ refugium. However you can just shave your back vinyl off and make it a refugium and you can also put a skimmer in chamber one since you have a BC29.

-SirTagle, I am planning on making an overflow box in the first compartment and having it siphon to a box behind the tank and then into my sump/ refugium. However you can just shave your back vinyl off and make it a refugium and you can also put a skimmer in chamber one since you have a BC29.

Which skimmer can fit in Chamber 1?

Sir Tagle don't get your panties in a bunch.

Why use an overflow box? Why worth the risk. Siphon breaks in a power outage your set up will flood. Air bubble breaks the siphon your set up will flood.

Use a 90 with a strainer and a bulk head.

Go ahead and use the tubing it will be more simple. However keep in mind that using barbed fittings decreases inside diamete which increases restriction which decreases flow. Also 90 bends will significantly decrease flow. So plan the pump accordingly.

Best of luck

Why use an overflow box? Why worth the risk. Siphon breaks in a power outage your set up will flood. Air bubble breaks the siphon your set up will flood.

Go ahead and use the tubing it will be more simple. However keep in mind that using barbed fittings decreases inside diamete which increases restriction which decreases flow. Also 90 bends will significantly decrease flow. So plan the pump accordingly.

Best of luck

Making an overflow box inside the first chamber (with a drain not a syphon) down to the sump wouldn't create any risk of a flood. Worst case scenario is that the power goes out and the water from the overflow box (not the whole tank) drains into the sump.

The only way you could have a flood is if the overflow/drain was blocked and the return pump over-filled the main aquarium. This would only pose a flood risk (no threat to livestock) as the stock pump/water flow should still function, so the inhabitants would probably be fine.

you are missing the point. as soon as the power goes out, the siphon breaks and the return pump turns off. as soon as the power goes on, the return pump turns on, but the siphon is still broken. there's your flood. so do yourself a favour and drill. then your carpet won't get wet :)

Tim

Best of luck

What you wear under you pants is your bussiness, just keep it to your self.

you are missing the point. as soon as the power goes out, the siphon breaks and the return pump turns off. as soon as the power goes on, the return pump turns on, but the siphon is still broken. there's your flood. so do yourself a favour and drill. then your carpet won't get wet :)

Tim

Bingo this is what I was getting at sorry I didn't state it more clearly.

Take home message is: don't add a large sump/refugium, unless the main tank was designed for one. The CPR HOB fuge/refugium would be a nice addition and no risk of flooding.

Tim

Did you read my message at all? I said an overflow with a drain pipe NOT A SYPHON. If you use a normal overflow box and drill a drain hole in the back glass of the tank you'll be fine. As I said then the worst case is the contents of the overflow box would drain into the sump. the overflow box would probably only hold a few cups of water so there is no way you risk a flood.

I understand what you meant, these guys don't know what you are trying to say. You'll be fine, just drill it and use a drain pipe rather than a syphon.

OK guys, I think I found a way not to worry about my main tank overflowing... I'm keeping it in the box till I have it completed but you guys will have to wait and see

Well I finally cut most of my acrylic... I have some light grating to cut and then I have to silicone in each piece

My originall idea but i decided on going with an ASM Mini G skimmer :lol:

IMG_0610.jpg

The main idea of how thing will look(ignore the cup and all the other things holding up the acrylic) :D

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

Archived