Pod Your Reef

My humble 5.5g

c est ma

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To the OP,

If you consider that to be humble and embarressing to show then I think I'll go and just shoot myself now.

Aw, you're so sweet!

Diane, what camera are you using?

Quoting myself from another thread:

"Well, as I usually refer to it, just my obsolete little Nikon Coolpix 3.1 meg point-and-shoot. I use the macro setting and also shoot through an additional magnifying lens when possible...and I take 100's of pics so that I'm likely to get lucky!"

I have better luck with macros than fts's...and I actually went thru the owner's manual once, way back when, when all my pics looked like s**t. So I think I probably get about as much as I can out of the cam, and I'm very attached to it. So much so that I hate to think of upgrading, even tho it's almost inevitable...

fts? after seeing ur gbg for months i had to go get some myself :)

Oh, cool! Know if you have a pair, yet? Mine have been continually fascinating me since the day I got each of them...I can't believe their steady reproduction...Last night when I was feeding both little heads appeared side by side on top of the same rock--it was so cute! They wouldn't hold the pose, though.

Well, as mentioned, fts's aren't my forte. And I really do consider my tank less aesthetically pleasing just to look at like that than MANY others on here. Partly it's the orangish zoas that often photograph brown, and always clash with the coralline...but they were one of my very first coral-type critters and I learned everything I know about how to mutilate a zoa (cut it off an aip-ridden rock; glue it upside down (man, those polyps are small when retracted), sail it across the room (and they're slippery, too!), accidentally separate two when the rubberband slips out of your fingers, impale them with needle and monofilament...you get the pic). They survived me and grew from about 4 or 5 polyps I originally salvaged so, to me, they're perfect! Appearance isn't everything. Partly it's the probs I have with diatoms & hair algae, exacerbated by my feeding and the crushed coral I inherited and never changed out. But I can make it look okay with diligent cleaning and my animals are happy and multiplying (some things, obviously, don't work in my tank), so, again, to me it's an incredible little habitat, even if it's not the prettiest child on the block...

Anyway, here's a shot from last night. Unfortunately I'd just dropped some food in and an invert is causing each of the 2 biggest red shrooms to look contracted...you can see the emerald on the bottom center red shroom:

dscn9033largevm6.jpg

Unfortunately I don't see a gbg in that shot! There's a merletti in the back under the soapdish--it's done really well for me. To the right of the yellow ric is a hitch hiking Porites (and my baby plate generating site, almost off camera!). Everything else is pretty self-explanatory...The little gorg frag in back is going back to the lfs...one of those things that doesn't do well in my tank, though it's been quite the trooper...

And one of the macros I prefer taking. This is actually a different cerith "face" from the ones I posted recently in the invert forum. I just never get tired of them...(This was taken by pointing my cam thru a 12X loupe):

dscn8871largeef0.jpg

--Diane

WOW. You take those pictures with a coolpix? That is incredible! I can't do pics like that with a dslr and a macro. I submit to you.

I have never seen a tank that looks so natural and "real." Really, your aquarium is amazing. Everything looks as though it was done with a purpose, yet it still has an overwhelmingly natural look. Does that make any sense? Probably not.

You said that you combed LFS stores for tiny frags to stock this (to an extent at least)? That's a really good idea. I scored a zoa that I have not seen anywhere else for 5 cents and a mushroom for a dollar. And that's from a LFS that doesn't know what a zoa was, I think what I got was a hitchhiker.

I'll stay posted to this thread. Keep up the pictures! I really like the contrast in your pictures, the dark tones are great. The pics look professional.

Wow. Just wow. This is one fantastic looking tank! :happy:

The pictures are superb, and the fact that you have all kinds of critters spawning is amazing.

Any trick to getting a fantastic bed of rics like that? My blue and oranges have only split once.

Diane, I've just gone through your entire thread again! So nice!

I hope my Ghetto Beauty matures into as great looking of a tank as yours has. Now I've got to get off my tail and work with that magnifying glass some more. For some reason my pics thorugh it don't look any different than without it. :huh:

Take care this winter, it's gonna get cold I'm afraid.

Hahaha When you see those Ceriths up close like that they almost look like anteaters with their long snout-like mouths. I think the grossest looking mouth I have seen was last night at a LFS. They had a big Sea Hare that was eating off the glass.... blech! Eating and pooping as it went. It was cool, but gross.

Wow, this is getting embarrassing! Thanks so much, everybody. And believe me, I always think your tanks are much prettier than mine!

Hoobs, thanks for the very nice comments. Your pics are outstanding. Good scores on those frags! I much prefer getting something tiny and watching it grow than starting with a "museum piece." But then, with a 5.5, I don't have much choice, anyway!

seahorsejl, the only thing I do for my rics is feed them once in a while. They love Cyclopeeze, and also catch any prepared food I add for the fish. Each morph seems to behave a little differently as far as splitting goes...just be patient is all I can tell you! :)

Ben--re the sea hare--that's the sort of thing I love to take pics of! :D

nick--Well, there's the LR filtration of course, and in addition there's a Penguin mini HOB. I took out the biowheel not too long ago, but am thinking of replacing it as the shrooms really don't like the added current that resulted. I do use regular Penguin filter cartridges that I change once a week--not too expensive with a tank this size! They add a little carbon...

But really, my tank's always a bit on the dirty side, even more so since the gobies have been breeding and the brittle stars multiplying...I just look in the tank and see nothing but hungry mouths!

It used to be sort of a truism in the hobby that softies like "dirty" tanks--I guess, meaning tanks with some nutrients, particulates, etc. Happily this suits my maintenance ambitions just fine. :) But you'll notice I usually have some diatoms and GHA to put up with. Seems to keep the CUC happy, though.

Went to my favorite lfs for H2O the other day and came home with a new 'shroom:

dscn9537largejl0.jpg

I always tell myself my tank's too full for additions, but sometimes I just can't resist temptation! Sigh. My first ever Asterina hitchhiker came with it:

dscn9532largedr9.jpg

Naturally, I added that to my tank, too. Hope I won't be sorry...

Meanwhile, I added some updated pics to my latest thread about my plate-coral generating site. I haven't gotten around to telling that story on this thread, yet, but it's really a cool phenomenon. Here's a link to that thread if you're interested:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=120778&hl=

(Whew--nice to know the GHA situation has improved quite a bit since the middle pics of that thread!)

Thanks again, everyone!

--Diane

I've been trying to get a little better with my fts's. Yesterday I did quite a bit of tank cleaning and today I snapped some pics. Probably looks just like the same old, same old to everyone else...but I liked these a little better than some of the past shots...('bout time to thin the Xenia again...!)

dscn9752largemw2.jpg

dscn9755largedu5.jpg

dscn9757largelb6.jpg

dscn9758largerj7.jpg

dscn9759largeuh5.jpg

Here are 3 of the side I usually don't take pics of:

dscn9762largewp8.jpg

dscn9763largejg7.jpg

dscn9764largezr5.jpg

And the other side (duh!):

dscn9766largebm3.jpg

--Diane

monkeytrumpets

Your tank looks great Diane. I really like the coloration of your GSP. I've been trying to find a color I like, but haven't been successeful yet. I'll take a page from your book though and wait until they have one in that I like. Thanks again for the help with my rics. They're looking happier and healthier than ever!

-Adam

Diane, you are inspiring me to get rics lol. Beautiful tank, once again. :)

1+ all he says is so true oh and time for some dum question pics of the PVC/hood for the light......

-Mac

Thank you, Duncan, Adam, Keith, Weetie, & Shaz!

1+ all he says is so true oh and time for some dum question pics of the PVC/hood for the light......i want to make one too

-Mac

Well, that's easy enough. This was going to be a temporary stand till I found something better, but has been so convenient that I've just stayed with it. I was originally going to spray it black but never even got around to that!

Well, you already know what it looks like in use:

dscn9905largeqo6.jpg

I like the way I can move it back and forth quite a bit, either to change the direction the light is hitting something I want to take a picture of, or to allow access to the tank from the front or the filter from the rear. But another convenient thing about my particular set-up is that I can also set my light on top of the Penguin:

dscn9907largeri5.jpg

(Looks too dark there because the glare of the light off the glass top was so bright the camera overcompensated. But when I take off the glass cover [and move the stand]I have plenty of light for siphoning, etc.)

Anyway, back to the stand. It's just 3/4" PVC pipe. There are four pieces for the legs, and four for the top. (I'm assuming you don't need the measurements, as you have a much bigger tank, right? 40g?) The pieces are assembled using 4 T fittings and 4 L (or elbow or whatever the 90º ones are called!) fittings.

dscn9913largerc0.jpg

dscn9914largemr3.jpg

I just measured the approximate dimensions I wanted and went to Lowes...they cut the pipe for me. It was uber cheap-- < $10 total. In fact, I went back for 2 new sets of legs, each time raising the light fixture farther than I'd originally thought I wanted it. (My softies didn't like too much light.)

I would be best to cement or otherwise permanently affix the pieces together. Mine isn't, so I have to be sure they're always fitting snugly...Probably easier to get away with with a smaller tank & light like mine.

Hope that's all you wanted to know. (It's probably a lot more!)

And a non-stand pic:

dscn9717largeql3.jpg

--Diane

Addendum:

Another thing I planned to do was make a hood. When I first made the stand I tried emulating one by cutting the ends off of two shoe boxes and sliding them over the light fixture/stand. Even though I didn't even have matching boxes, it gave me an idea of what it would look like, and I kind of liked it, though I never followed through...Found these pics from 2/12/06:

dscn4104largehd4.jpg

dscn4116largejl4.jpg

dscn4119largepw6.jpg

(No, I have NO idea why the water level was so low at that time. LOL!)

--Diane

my gbg r not a pair :angry: im hoping cause ones alot bigger than the other. i see them hanging out once in a while but live on the opposite sides of the tank.

i love how ur rics form a carpet type look. the tank has come a long way from the pics u just posted. i realy like the look of a aged tank.

Diane

I have been checking out your tank since you first posted this thread in August ( and of course admiring it no end!!). I just looked through, and I can't believe I never left you a comment I was sure that I had a while back. Duh me!!! It is truly beautiful!!!! I could not believe your thread title when I first saw this post and looked at your tank. You have done a simply amazing job. I always find it hard to believe that it is just a 5.5g. It gives the impression of being so much bigger. I love the xenia on the glass and your pom pom crab....oh heck....i love everything about it!!!!

Take care

Andrea

Hi Diane, I've been thinking about growing chaeto inside the overflow of my ADA tank. I see that you use a separate container specifically for the stuff. Does it bring benefits to your tank that you can't do without?

Thank you very much, Andrea & Maeda!

my gbg r not a pair :angry: im hoping cause ones alot bigger than the other. i see them hanging out once in a while but live on the opposite sides of the tank.

i love how ur rics form a carpet type look. the tank has come a long way from the pics u just posted. i realy like the look of a aged tank.

I don't know how long it takes for these gobies to change sex, or if there's an age beyond which it's no longer possible, but I would encourage you to remain patient. Anatomical changes don't happen overnight! Good luck with them!

It's fun to look back over the old pics and watch things change. The carpet-'o-rics was more or less their "decision." Only one has attached itself to the main LR and chosen a vertical orientation. Some have slowly but surely worked their way off of rocks onto the substrate. Turned out to be a look that appealed to me, too--happily. :)

Hi Diane, I've been thinking about growing chaeto inside the overflow of my ADA tank. I see that you use a separate container specifically for the stuff. Does it bring benefits to your tank that you can't do without?

Well, yes, but you have to remember that my tank is SO different from your pristine beauties! Not only is it technically simple--nothing but the LR & HOB for filtration & flow--but it is so tiny, and even though I've tried to be conservative I know its got a big bioload for such a small tank, what with my breeding fish, my crushed coral, etc. Once I heard the lore about a "dirty softies tank" I was happy to adopt the description!

I'd say the biggest difference the chaeto makes is the good old standard, nutrient export. It grows rapidly and I have to regularly remove some of it.

Interestingly, the chaeto was a volunteer from the very beginning, a hitchiker with the LR. I went back through my pic files to help me remember the timeline, and decided this would be a good opportunity to add some more "developmental" pics.

I removed any chaeto that was attached to the LR itself, but left loose strands in the tank. It began to consolidate in the back of the tank, behind the LR:

7/24/05

dscn0756largeba0.jpg

9/4/05

dscn1218largebk4.jpg

After a while I realized I had grown my own sort-of "fuge" behind the LR:

1/29/06

dscn3893largeva0.jpg

dscn3891largeqq8.jpg

Sometime later, though, I began to worry about all the ways I was "breaking" the rules. It seemed to me that the chaeto must be really limiting flow behind the rock. I also got so self-conscious about my biowheel I decided to remove it, though it had been in place for a couple of years with no problems that I could see. I think it was around this time that I added my second fish, as well.

For a while the GHA was indeed pretty bad, but interestingly, as seen in the following pic, it tended to be worse in the back half of the tank! This meant I could still get decent fts's. :)

8/27/06

dscn7802largeft3.jpg

When I removed the chaeto, I just put it in a tupperware container on the counter. It must have sat there for half a year or more. Every once in a while I'd top it off, and I'd change its water with old tank water when I did a water change. Then I started seeing the "soapdish fuge" idea on the forums. I decided to try it, to see if the macro would successfully compete with the GHA for nutrients, and also to reduce the flow from the Penguin, as my Discosoma (& even some of my rics) had not been all that happy since the biowheel was removed. The result was that it seems to have made quite a difference in the GHA, but not so much in moderating the flow. I'm very tempted to add the biowheel back in!

--Diane

Archived