Pod Your Reef

OT: Engagement Ring

scarf_ace1981

Wouldn't it be awesome if there was some sort of unwritten rule that says we (guys) get something in return of equal or more value?

Hahaha..I know that in some cultures (mostly asian) this trade off happens often as a "wedding gift" to each other.

I personally would spend over 10k easily anyway, but how nice would it be if I got a nice onkyo system, brand new reef tank and a 50" LCD in return? :D:lol::P

I vote for equality!!! :D

Oh..and any girl that says she doesn't want a fat rock on her hand is lying. She's just trying to be nice.

That's like a guy saying...."no hunny...that BMW Z8 is too much car for me. I'd much rather have that nice looking KIA over there...."

You guys all know why they want the expensive ring right?

It's wedding insurance:

The more you spend the more likely you will follow through with the wedding and if you ever do leave it's the first thing that comes off and gets sold to cover her living expenses and attorney's fees.

(yeah - I'm on my second marriage)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wow... my g/f isn't letting me get away with anything less than 2.83karat single round cut with 4 prongs and 2 1karat side stones all set on platinum band...

What?!?! That's crazy lol. I told my boyfriend to just get me an antique looking ring with conflict free diamonds. My hands are really really small though so anything bigger than a carat would look ridiculous on me.

im comming up on the 5 years of dating mark in 17 days.... ill be 25 this year... were both out of school... i wonder what my gf is expecting to get at every gift giving opportunity.... hahaha kill me now

but congrats

oh yeah when i give her the ring she is going to get me a Vespa... fair trade i guess

er1c_the_reefer
Eric- I think that's what girly girls do.

i told her i'm not marrying her unless she jumps out of a plane or climbs the minarets with me... :lol:

oh yea... i'm not leaving her anytime soon... she buys like 1/2 of my coral for me! so i think she deserves something nice. but no nice ring unless i have a nice car, and no wedding unless 1) my dog is the ring bearer and 2) and this guy is doing the ceremony

chuckandlarry_robschneider.jpg

oh yea lets see the new ring!

im with mvite on this one - a girl who has the size of the ring or wont wait until ur ready- run fast. :D

my old lady has been with me for 13 yrs and where not married :o its just a piece of paper but she does have a ring and i call her my wife. she picked the band i picked the diamond sizes. any ring over 15-20 k is just stupid. my 0.02

congrats scar

Oh..and any girl that says she doesn't want a fat rock on her hand is lying. She's just trying to be nice.

Not true at all. I did not even want a wedding band. I would of been fine with a ring out of a Cracker Jacks box. To me what is the point of spendind thousands an a stupid ring when the monet could be spent on more meaningful things like a house.

CONGRATS!! Welcome to the first day of the last day of the rest of your life. :D

Yea I know how you feel. My girlfriend already has the magazines, mom and her are looking and calling reception sites, and has the date picked! mine you, were not engaged. She said her mom wont let her move if were not engaged. Well next year after I get my undergrad I plan on going to either Texas, Cali, or New York for law school. I too am getting cold feet before even popping the question. I'd rather wait till after I grad from law school to get married. Figure, my fellow lawyers will be able to give better gifts, she can get a nicer ring, more money for the reception and hold off the penis funeral for a few years. Of course she doesn't want to wait... Anyways congrats and good luck with the engagement.

Matt-

Dude--I sell to lawyers---

YOU DO NOT WANT TO MEET A HOT FELLOW FUTURE LAWYER AND BE TIED DOWN.

I would go to law school just for a high percentage chance of a high dollar hot wife. Serious as sh1t. :D

You guys all know why they want the expensive ring right?

It's wedding insurance:

The more you spend the more likely you will follow through with the wedding and if you ever do leave it's the first thing that comes off and gets sold to cover her living expenses and attorney's fees.

(yeah - I'm on my second marriage)

Doesn't she have a job to cover her living expenses?

That's horse poop. I'd never want a girl that is content with staying home on her butt while I go out and work.

I'm a firm believer in providing for those that I love, but you'd better have a job.

If I was making 300K, and my wife was making 50k, how does it make any kind of sense for me to pay out so that she can continue the lifestyle after getting divorced? If she wasn't smart or ambitious enough to get a higher paying job in the first place, is it really fair to force the man to facilitate stupidity?

I hate the divorce laws in this country. They favor women in every way.

My belief that men should get something in return of equal or more value just turned into a conviction.

If it ever came to be, girls would think twice about drooling over that 2k tiffany ring...or fussing about perfect clarity and color.

I also believe that if it's called off before the actual wedding, the ring should be given back. I've heard too many stories of girls straight up refusing to give back rings valued over 20k because "he GAVE it to [her]."

That's just messed up.

Sorry for going off there. Just a little worked up.

Not true at all. I did not even want a wedding band. I would of been fine with a ring out of a Cracker Jacks box. To me what is the point of spendind thousands an a stupid ring when the monet could be spent on more meaningful things like a house.

CONGRATS!! Welcome to the first day of the last day of the rest of your life. :D

I don't think green eyes is lying guys. Not all women are gold diggers, maybe alot are, but not all. If you guys think all women insist on big rings, maybe it's because they are trying to compensate for something else that is lacking in the relationship....just a thought!!

It's kinda like the guys that drive the huge $50k trucks and the ones that drive corvettes, they are trying to compensate for other "inadaquecies". Nissan Frontier here :D .

er1c_the_reefer
It's kinda like the guys that drive the huge $50k trucks and the ones that drive corvettes, they are trying to compensate for other "inadaquecies". Nissan Frontier here :D .

<-- scion here. i'm not making up for anything. B) but as long as we can aim our pee right?

<-- scion here. i'm not making up for anything. B) but as long as we can aim our pee right?

That's a whole different story all together!! I have my theories about guys who miss the toilet.

I don't think green eyes is lying guys. Not all women are gold diggers, maybe alot are, but not all. If you guys think all women insist on big rings, maybe it's because they are trying to compensate for something else that is lacking in the relationship....just a thought!!

nope my wife was ####ed when she found out how much i spent.

That's a whole different story all together!! I have my theories about guys who miss the toilet.

sometimes it just doesnt go where u aim :D

I hate the divorce laws in this country. They favor women in every way.

Bingo! Marriage is a one sided contract - It does absolutley nothing for the guy and everything for the girl. The only time marriage is beneficial is to children.

Why do you think the "prenup" was invented?

Not romantic - but a true test of where someone stands and why they are in it.

Hahaha...nice little plug in for your modest-"no compensation needed" vehicle. :lol:

I love sports cars. I don't tear up the road, but definitely appreciate the way they handle.

I don't have a car right now, as it doesn't make sense to have one in manhattan, but I'm planning on getting one as soon as I move to the suburbs. if ever.

I don't think I have anything to compensate for...and I'm not mid-life yet......but it'll most likey be an over priced exotic.

LMAO at this thread. I feel sorry for you guys that have girls that demand a certain type of ring. Just thinking about 10k-20k on a ring makes me want to puke :scarry: . I rather a dude buy me a Horse and call it a day.

A girl should NEVER expect a specific size rock or type of ring, but rather be happy with whatever one she ends up with, because in the end it's the thought and marrige that counts, right? My fiance had to compare rings with her sister and couple other married friends, and well none of them she compared with were happy, they all wanted upgrades, lol! But I'm paying for it in the long term. :( I tried to get her a Cracker Jack ring, 3 of them in fact, but she wasn't having that... :haha:

I hope her's isn't a conflict "blood" diamond though given that it was cut and mined around 1993-94 when the movie took place according to the certificate... :o

I need a lower maintaince girl like Kerry, lol! :P

I'm really eyeing out tungsten-carbide rings for myself, those are cool and pretty much indestrictable and don't scratch.

I appologize to the original poster for getting this so off topic, but atleast you're getting free bumps.

This is pretty funny... When I purposed to my wife it didn't go quite as planned. I had it all set up so that she would find her ring in our daughters' car seat so that she would be surprised (long story behind that). But when I got home she was in the shower. I tried to get her to get out of the shower to get the baby out of the car seat but she wouldn't budge. So now I was geetting frusterated and we got into an arguement. So what do I do......I walk in the bathroom, open the shower curtain, and threw the ring at her, and asked her if she would f-ing marry me. First thing she does is start crying. Then she walks out of the shower doesn't even turn the water off, walks into the living room butt naked and soaking wet and calls her mom to tell her. Now I'm standing in the bathroom waiting for an answer. Obviously she said yes and the rest is history.

Honestly the way it all went down is a perfect fit for us. We're just goofy like that.

A girl should NEVER expect a specific size rock or type of ring, but rather be happy with whatever one she ends up with, because in the end it's the thought and marrige that counts, right? My fiance had to compare rings with her sister and couple other married friends, and well none of them she compared with were happy, they all wanted upgrades, lol! But I'm paying for it in the long term. :( I tried to get her a Cracker Jack ring, 3 of them in fact, but she wasn't having that... :haha:

I hope her's isn't a conflict "blood" diamond though given that it was cut and mined around 1993-94 when the movie took place according to the certificate... :o

I need a lower maintaince girl like Kerry, lol! :P

I'm really eyeing out tungsten-carbide rings for myself, those are cool and pretty much indestrictable and don't scratch.

LOL exactly How could someone demand something.

I can't believe some girls compare rings lol I have better things to do ..........

I guess I am like this because i don't wear jewelery ( all I can thing about when wearing it , is I better not loose this expensive $hit lol)

I hope its not a "blood diamond" either hahaha Diamonds are overrated. There are many other stones that are just as pretty IMO. I collected gemstones.

Oh yeah I agree. I told her I'll get her the biggest diamond she wants. It'll be worthless and industrial grade, but she can have bling bigger than anyone else, haha!! The jewler we get her's from though, the owners wife has a 12ct. rock!! :o Talk about a boulder!

I appologize to the original poster for getting this so off topic, but atleast you're getting free bumps.

This is pretty funny... When I purposed to my wife it didn't go quite as planned. I had it all set up so that she would find her ring in our daughters' car seat so that she would be surprised (long story behind that). But when I got home she was in the shower. I tried to get her to get out of the shower to get the baby out of the car seat but she wouldn't budge. So now I was geetting frusterated and we got into an arguement. So what do I do......I walk in the bathroom, open the shower curtain, and threw the ring at her, and asked her if she would f-ing marry me. First thing she does is start crying. Then she walks out of the shower doesn't even turn the water off, walks into the living room butt naked and soaking wet and calls her mom to tell her. Now I'm standing in the bathroom waiting for an answer. Obviously she said yes and the rest is history.

Honestly the way it all went down is a perfect fit for us. We're just goofy like that.

Just like an old movie.

forrestp38829
LMAO at this thread. I feel sorry for you guys that have girls that demand a certain type of ring. Just thinking about 10k-20k on a ring makes me want to puke :scarry: . I rather a dude buy me a Horse and call it a day.

That sounds exactly like something my wife would say... Guess i'm lucky too. :)

I've been with my girl for 13 years. The ring issue has come up a few times. She then made the mistake of telling me that she'd rather have a new motorcycle than a ring. I don't have any issues spending $12,000 on a Ducati for her, but I would cringe every time I looked at the same priced ring on her finger.

Archived