SaltCritters.com

OT: Engagement Ring

scarf_ace1981

Diamonds are overrated. There are many other stones that are just as pretty IMO. I collected gemstones.

I agree. I would love to have an opal wedding band :wub: . That's my favorite stone of all. I also agree that spending 15-20 thousand being ridiculous. Spending $5,000 is ridiculous even. As long as my boyfriend puts thought into if it's something I'd really want to wear for the rest of my life, then I'm set. I'm not a big wedding person either. Give me a one week long honey moon to Disney World and I'm happy.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Helfrichs Chick

Well I had to chime in on this, its really funny. I consider myself down to earth, and really NOT high maintenance, I take care of myself, make great $ and buy anything I want for me and my man. I will sit and watch nascar with him all day, play tackle football with the boys, do the laundry, cook home-made dinners every night for him, give full body massages (with or without a happy ending ;) ) and put up with his whiny a$$ BUT sorry when it comes that time my ring better be seriously nice, and exactly what I want. Face it ladies you know what ring you want and you know its a biggen. I dont buy ANY line from ANY chick that says she would be just as happy with a band as she would with a big 3c. diamond. SORRY, TRY AGAIN! lmao. Its really human nature with us ladies, we wanna one up the other ladies with a ring, its a fact. Sorry your girl didnt like it, I think its actually really nice but it could be worse..... here is the one I have been keeping my eye on. From T&Co. I think it runs about $25,000 My poor man. HAHAHHAHAH

post-19268-1186016451_thumb.jpg

Well I had to chime in on this, its really funny. I consider myself down to earth, and really NOT high maintenance, I take care of myself, make great $ and buy anything I want for me and my man. I will sit and watch nascar with him all day, play tackle football with the boys, do the laundry, cook home-made dinners every night for him, give full body massages (with or without a happy ending ;) ) and put up with his whiny a$$ BUT sorry when it comes that time my ring better be seriously nice, and exactly what I want. Face it ladies you know what ring you want and you know its a biggen. I dont buy ANY line from ANY chick that says she would be just as happy with a band as she would with a big 3c. diamond. SORRY, TRY AGAIN! lmao. Its really human nature with us ladies, we wanna one up the other ladies with a ring, its a fact. Sorry your girl didnt like it, I think its actually really nice but it could be worse..... here is the one I have been keeping my eye on. From T&Co. I think it runs about $25,000 My poor man. HAHAHHAHAH

My wife pretty much "one up's" most women without the ring, maybe that's why it really wasn't an issue for her.

I'm a very lucky man, and I honestly to this day don't know how i got her, much less how I keep her.

er1c_the_reefer

dang... $25,000... that's like the down payment on a BMW. this one is the one my g/f is looking at, it starts at $5,000... but i can imagine the price being higher after upping the stones and metal.

pear.jpg

but i remember my friend saying once that if you wanna keep your woman, the stone should be proportional to the size of her boobs. how true that is, i dunno.

but i remember my friend saying once that if you wanna keep your woman, the stone should be proportional to the size of her boobs. how true that is, i dunno.

:haha::haha::haha:

If that's the case then I'm in trouble.

the new ring i got her is 2 karat and cost me double what the old one cost. i got the first one because it's the one she wanted but then i showed her the one i liked (three princess cut diamonds) and she fell in love with it.

i don't want to ugrade the ring @ zales. i bought the the second ring from a different place. just offering it to anyone who may be interested.

You sound like you were in a very similar situation that my husband and I are in. My husband, before we had even met, had bought an engagement ring for his gf and found out she was cheating on him so he didn't propose. And he had bought the ring at Zales...but they wouldn't return it for him and the only way for him to get his full value back from the ring was to spend a total cost of twice what the original ring cost.

I wanted ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do w/ this ring considering who it was originally for and I'm not impressed w/ Zales selection at all anyhow (or their customer service), and ultimately i just had him buy me a $200 promise-type ring from Helzeburg. I just thought it was ridiculous to spend $6000 on a ring just so he could get his full value out of the old one. We'll just sell it ourself and put it towards something more worthwhile. (see, :P not ALL women are gold diggers).

Oh, whoever it was that mentioned cubic zirconia not flying...:lol you're right, but it doesn't even look the same as a diamond. And you can go a TON of cheaper options anyhow. My husband and I are having my ring custom in about a year and we found a diamond wholesaler to sell us just the diamonds (b/c there's like a 500% markup on them) and someone else is making my bands. Total cost: $2000. If we decided to buy the same ring we're having made, from a store, it would cost us $13,000. Totally NOT worth it in my mind.

Btw...who did you buy the second ring from?

I dont buy ANY line from ANY chick that says she would be just as happy with a band as she would with a big 3c. diamond. SORRY, TRY AGAIN! lmao. Its really human nature with us ladies, we wanna one up the other ladies with a ring, its a fact. Sorry your girl didnt like it, I think its actually really nice but it could be worse..... here is the one I have been keeping my eye on. From T&Co. I think it runs about $25,000 My poor man. HAHAHHAHAH

I heard a really great quote on the radio the other day kinda in reference to this:

"The only diamond that's too big, is the one on the OTHER girl's finger."

Either way though, I kind of have to beg to differ with you. Not all women absolutely have to have a huge 3ct diamond. The ring I currently am wearing is ~1/8 ct and if we weren't planning on selling this other ring we have, I would see no reason to spend money on a new ring. I'd much rather have a huge house and nice things in it and a new car. When people pass your house, or see you in your car, they don't notice how big your ring is. Inevitably, you'll have more people notice those things than your ring and I'd much rather have people drooling over what I have in my home anyhow.

:lol: I LOVE your tank and I LOVE your honesty!!!

Face it ladies you know what ring you want and you know its a biggen. I dont buy ANY line from ANY chick that says she would be just as happy with a band as she would with a big 3c. diamond. SORRY, TRY AGAIN! lmao. Its really human nature with us ladies, we wanna one up the other ladies with a ring, its a fact. Sorry your girl didnt like it, I think its actually really nice but it could be worse..... here is the one I have been keeping my eye on. From T&Co. I think it runs about $25,000 My poor man. HAHAHHAHAH

Trust me I rather have an Arabian horse or a Gypsy Vanner. At least I can get enjoyment out of it, I can't see my self enjoying a ring that much nor can I see my self enjoying bragging about it. :lol:

Dude--I sell to lawyers---

YOU DO NOT WANT TO MEET A HOT FELLOW FUTURE LAWYER AND BE TIED DOWN.

I would go to law school just for a high percentage chance of a high dollar hot wife. Serious as sh1t. :D

MVITE I've thought about that long and hard. I could only imagine what my tanks would look like if I married another lawyer or doctor. ::drool:: I mean if I can get her to wait until I graduate from law school I could at least pay for her to get her masters. agh Shes a good woman but I'm still only 22... Who knows I haven't put anything on her finger yet.

Matt-

Oh he!!, I'm SOL then, for realz!! :( Maybe not, if that was true, I'd have to spend a good $100k at least, lol! :P

just remember......

if you propose to a girl make sure that you never say that you are giving the ring as consideration for marriage bur rather a "gift" so that way if things don't work out then the ring is legally yours. If you give consideration then you form a contract and then your SOL when it comes to getting that ring back if things don't work out.....

just remember......

if you propose to a girl make sure that you never say that you are giving the ring as consideration for marriage bur rather a "gift" so that way if things don't work out then the ring is legally yours. If you give consideration then you form a contract and then your SOL when it comes to getting that ring back if things don't work out.....

Actually, you have that backwards. If you give it as a gift, it is theirs for good. That's why they get to keep it no matter what if you propose on their birthday or certain specific "gift giving" holidays.

Actually, you have that backwards. If you give it as a gift, it is theirs for good. That's why they get to keep it no matter what if you propose on their birthday or certain specific "gift giving" holidays.

oops i knew it was too early in the morning, i passed out for boredom reading the cpa books

wow... my g/f isn't letting me get away with anything less than 2.83karat single round cut with 4 prongs and 2 1karat side stones all set on platinum band...

Dude corals sales has been good to you or what!!! what is that 30-40g? Good dam thing Asians give cash at weddings!! Trust me I know I just got married three months ago.

scarf ace1981 good look on the sale and congrats. BTW the place you bought it from isn’t willing to take it back for something better? It really sucks you have to take a lost on this.

I also believe that if it's called off before the actual wedding, the ring should be given back. I've heard too many stories of girls straight up refusing to give back rings valued over 20k because "he GAVE it to [her]."

Actually, in most states the engagement ring is considered a contractual item. You're basically saying, "I'll give you this if you agree to marry me". If they call off the wedding, then they're in violation of that verbal contract. It's as easy as asking for the ring back, if she refuses, then just remind her of the local laws (if your state has them) and if she still won't give it back then I'm sure the judge won't mind helping. Oddly enough though, I don't believe those laws cover wedding rings... but that's what the prenups are for.

EDIT: ^^ Didn't notice that several people already beat me to that one.

ANY woman that won't sign a prenub should raise a red flag. Prenups are great in two ways... the protect a guy from property loss AND help weed out any gold diggers after our vast fish fortunes. Since the standard laws in most states not only protect women in the case of a divorce, but they REWARD women for the divorce... a prenup is a MUST for covering your rear.

LOL, I'm sorry to the OP... you're looking to sell of a spare ring from your engagement to the woman you love and you've got all the ideas of 2.5 kids and a nice house with a white picket fence... and we're talking about divorce. lol

I'm sorry, and believe I mean it when I say that I'm happy for you... despite what I come across on here, I'm just a big softie when it comes to weddings. That's what we live for... well, not weddings persay, but finding that special someone, out of everyone else in the world, and spending our lives loving and living for someone else. Seriously, mazel tov.

ANY woman that won't sign a prenub should raise a red flag. Prenups are great in two ways... the protect a guy from property loss AND help weed out any gold diggers after our vast fish fortunes. Since the standard laws in most states not only protect women in the case of a divorce, but they REWARD women for the divorce... a prenup is a MUST for covering your rear.

A good enough woman doesn't require a pre-nup agreement. That's my take on it anyway. Also, if the woman bears your children and stays home to take care of them, then she is entitled to some of the money that you earn while married for the sake of the children you had together. When I hear pre-nup, I hear "I don't trust you enough not to divorce me and steal my money" which is a load of poo because if you can't trust your woman enough not to dive headfirst into the risk that is marriage, well then you need to find yourself another one.

I will never sign a pre-nup, but then again I plan on being the one who makes most of the money while the boyfriend has fun in his pet store.

fraggle rockette

omg i love all of you... lol :happydance:

i was going to put in my own .02, and then i realized helfrich had done it all for me, word for word. ;) (only the Tiffany's i have my eye on is about a third? the price i think, but also just a little more than 1ct total weight... my friends say i could do better and that they'll talk a guy into more, but my fingers just aren't that big!!!)

anyway, congrats and bump for ring sellage. :D

Exactly! Reasons why you should never prepose and give the ring on her B-day, Christmas or Valentines day. ;)

Helfrichs Chick

Yup me and Fraggle, Keepin it real.

OH and I think prenups are a MUST on BOTH ends. If my man gets me that big ring we both will sign one. I think any chick that gets offended is in it for other reasons. If he doesnt want to sign it peace out. Sorry I spent way to much time in school and way to much time EARNING my $ and no ones gonna spend it but me. :)

Yup me and Fraggle, Keepin it real.

OH and I think prenups are a MUST on BOTH ends. If my man gets me that big ring we both will sign one. I think any chick that gets offended is in it for other reasons. If he doesnt want to sign it peace out. Sorry I spent way to much time in school and way to much time EARNING my $ and no ones gonna spend it but me. :)

Love is.....never having to say "Hey, that's my ####### money."

Get married young and broke and don't worry about any of that stuff. If it is truly "the one" then you won't have to worry about any of it. Otherwise you are ######.

Archived