ReefCleaners.org

OT: Engagement Ring

scarf_ace1981

scarf_ace1981

i purchased this ring for my fiance but then found something more to her liking(not to mention a much more expensive). i will have pics of actual ring and the zales certificate soon.

Ring costs $2859 but i can let it go much cheaper, say $2250 OBO.

here's a link

1 karat tw 14 white gold three stone

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you haven't bought the new ring yet, have you checked to see what they'd give you for this one as a trade-in for the new, more expensive, one?

er1c_the_reefer

wow... my g/f isn't letting me get away with anything less than 2.83karat single round cut with 4 prongs and 2 1karat side stones all set on platinum band...

wow... my g/f isn't letting me get away with anything less than 2.83karat single round cut with 4 prongs and 2 1karat side stones all set on platinum band...
Maybe that's why scarf_ace is buying a new "more expensive" ring instead of this one. ;)

That looks like a pretty nice ring. No offense guys, but if your girls demand a certain ring then maybe you should find girls that are a bit more down to earth.

I think my wifes engagement ring is only 1 karat total weight. It's actually bigger than the one she wanted, but I would've just felt to cheap buying her the smaller ring. She didn't want a ring that looked huge on her finger (she's got small hands).

I guess I'm just lucky!!

P.S. I would stay away from zale's if I were you. I've bought my wife a couple different pieces of jewlery from them and their customer service is horrible!!!! I think an I.Q. score of less than 80 is a must for all of their employees.

cheaper to be single and not looking......

Even better I told here she gets her choice of rings ether one on her hand or one with a key to a new house.....now I am married and her finger is naked

er1c_the_reefer
That looks like a pretty nice ring. No offense guys, but if your girls demand a certain ring then maybe you should find girls that are a bit more down to earth.

agreed. i'm probably just gonna get her a 1k solitaire on platinum. if she doesn't want it, i can find someone else who does. whatever happened to love, right? lol... besides, i can always get her dream ring later...

er1c_the_reefer

i could've sworn me, adin, and juin were talking about this the other day.

cubic ain't gonna work... because you know the second your not looking, she's gonna get appraised... you know... "to see how much you value her".

I think my wifes engagement ring is only 1 karat total weight. It's actually bigger than the one she wanted, but I would've just felt to cheap buying her the smaller ring. She didn't want a ring that looked huge on her finger (she's got small hands).

I guess I'm just lucky!!

Yeah... I didn't want to say anything... but I'm glad you opened the can 'o worms.

When I proposed to my fiance, if she had said she wanted a different ring or a bigger ring or whatever... I would've dusted that knee off REAL quick and got the hell outta Dodge.

I'm surprised Zales won't take the ring back... I got mine from bluenile.com and they have a pretty fair return policy. Plus I got the build the ring I really wanted. .75k solotaire and .50ktw in diamonds on the sides. .75 VVS1 and the side diamonds are all VS1. All G in color. Only 3,200, well worth it.

Anyway, I collect jewelry and if I had the money, thank goodness I don't because I'm almost OCD when it comes to collecting jewelry and gemstones (probably the only person on the planet that has my chip in the TV blocking Jewelry Television and has to walk the long way around the mall to avoid the corner with the jewelry stores). Anywho, sorry I don't have the money, and thank goodness. :)

agreed. i'm probably just gonna get her a 1k solitaire on platinum. if she doesn't want it, i can find someone else who does. whatever happened to love, right? lol... besides, i can always get her dream ring later...

Exactly!!

Dude weren't you just selling some frags to pay for school not to long ago? I knew those prices were higher than the price of gold, they were the price of platinum AND a diamond!!!!!!!! Just kidding man :D. I hope I didn't just start another e fight!!

Yeah... I didn't want to say anything... but I'm glad you opened the can 'o worms.

When I proposed to my fiance, if she had said she wanted a different ring or a bigger ring or whatever... I would've dusted that knee off REAL quick and got the hell outta Dodge.

I'm surprised Zales won't take the ring back... I got mine from bluenile.com and they have a pretty fair return policy. Plus I got the build the ring I really wanted. .75k solotaire and .50ktw in diamonds on the sides. .75 VVS1 and the side diamonds are all VS1. All G in color. Only 3,200, well worth it.

Anyway, I collect jewelry and if I had the money, thank goodness I don't because I'm almost OCD when it comes to collecting jewelry and gemstones (probably the only person on the planet that has my chip in the TV blocking Jewelry Television and has to walk the long way around the mall to avoid the corner with the jewelry stores). Anywho, sorry I don't have the money, and thank goodness. :)

I'm telling you zale's sucks, once they get your $$$ you're screwed.

I got snaked into that boat... :( I can show you at MNS-5, but I told her I'd ONLY get herthe one she wants (considering its cost) if she would toss out the idea of ever wanting and upgrde.

er1c_the_reefer
Dude weren't you just selling some frags to pay for school not to long ago? I knew those prices were higher than the price of gold, they were the price of platinum AND a diamond!!!!!!!! Just kidding man :D. I hope I didn't just start another e fight!!

lol... its ok. such is the cost... but seriously, its scary. i'm 21... she's already subscribing to wedding magazines and making plans with my mom... they already picked out the wedding theme! she's already picked out her own ring! she's calculated my salary post graduation! i'm not even engaged and i'm getting cold feet. :mellow:

lol... its ok. such is the cost... but seriously, its scary. i'm 21... she's already subscribing to wedding magazines and making plans with my mom... they already picked out the wedding theme! she's already picked out her own ring! she's calculated my salary post graduation! i'm not even engaged and i'm getting cold feet. :mellow:

Word of advice.....and I tell you this from personal experience.

I had a g/f who did the same thing. I bought the ring and got all ready to pop the question, and before I did, I realized that I was doing it for her, not me. Took the ring back and got my money back, two weeks later she left me for another guy......

Make sure that you WANT to get married to her, and your not doing it just because its what makes HER happy. I am 27 and still single, and as I look back at the past 6 years, I cant believe what I would have missed out on if I were married.

Secondly, if she planned the wedding without your input, make her start over and do it again with your input. Something about that makes me think about you being bossed around for the rest of your life....JME

OT, thats a good looking ring, and you have good taste....free bump.

Word of advice.....and I tell you this from personal experience.

I had a g/f who did the same thing. I bought the ring and got all ready to pop the question, and before I did, I realized that I was doing it for her, not me. Took the ring back and got my money back, two weeks later she left me for another guy......

Make sure that you WANT to get married to her, and your not doing it just because its what makes HER happy. I am 27 and still single, and as I look back at the past 6 years, I cant believe what I would have missed out on if I were married.

Secondly, if she planned the wedding without your input, make her start over and do it again with your input. Something about that makes me think about you being bossed around for the rest of your life....JME

Ditto that Paul!

This is just my opinion, but most girls that are pushing to get married that young are the same ones that decide a couple of years later that they got married too young and instantly want a divorce. This is coming from a guy that got married at 21 to a girl he loved that always looked at the wedding magazines and hinted she wanted to marry him. She then decided a few years later that although she loved me (or thought she did) that she didn't give herself enough time to experience life as a single person. She then went and got knocked up while cheating on me and then asked for a divorce. My advice to all of you is take your time and do it right the first time. I have yet to go through anything in my life as painful as it was to have someone do that to me. Keep dating for a LONG time, and if she really loves you and is marriage material she'll wait. If not, then let her go and you'll get over it. I lucked out and didn't lose anything in the divorce as far as money/property goes, but that is RARELY the case. I'm over it now and have been with my current wife for 7 years, but I hate seeing it happen to other people...It happens far too often.

I used to work for this really high-maintenance biyotch who demanded a 2.25 ct diamond ring from her hubby.

Why would anyone (guy or gal) who really loves you force you to spend nearly $20K on a ring? (When, as mentioned earlier, since you are starting a life together, you can get a house!!)

I know I am contributing to off-topicness---but Er1c--run far and run fast. (Other girls can do it like her---maybe even better--don't worry!!!)

My wife started with those magazines as soon as I popped the question--really--the very next morning.

I guess it's like getting a really nice piece of monti for us. :D

scarf_ace1981

the new ring i got her is 2 karat and cost me double what the old one cost. i got the first one because it's the one she wanted but then i showed her the one i liked (three princess cut diamonds) and she fell in love with it.

i don't want to ugrade the ring @ zales. i bought the the second ring from a different place. just offering it to anyone who may be interested.

by the way my fiancee proposed to me first.

I used to work for this really high-maintenance biyotch who demanded a 2.25 ct diamond ring from her hubby.

Why would anyone (guy or gal) who really loves you force you to spend nearly $20K on a ring? (When, as mentioned earlier, since you are starting a life together, you can get a house!!)

I know I am contributing to off-topicness---but Er1c--run far and run fast. (Other girls can do it like her---maybe even better--don't worry!!!)

My wife started with those magazines as soon as I popped the question--really--the very next morning.

I guess it's like getting a really nice piece of monti for us. :D

Wouldn't it be awesome if there was some sort of unwritten rule that says we (guys) get something in return of equal or more value?

Hahaha..I know that in some cultures (mostly asian) this trade off happens often as a "wedding gift" to each other.

I personally would spend over 10k easily anyway, but how nice would it be if I got a nice onkyo system, brand new reef tank and a 50" LCD in return? :D:lol::P

I vote for equality!!! :D

Oh..and any girl that says she doesn't want a fat rock on her hand is lying. She's just trying to be nice.

That's like a guy saying...."no hunny...that BMW Z8 is too much car for me. I'd much rather have that nice looking KIA over there...."

lol, that IS scary Er1c. Even before my fiance had her ring (a few weeks before) we had already planned it out pretty much, booked a restaurant for the reception, and booked the photographer. Now the hard part, picking the ceremony site... =/

Yea I know how you feel. My girlfriend already has the magazines, mom and her are looking and calling reception sites, and has the date picked! mine you, were not engaged. She said her mom wont let her move if were not engaged. Well next year after I get my undergrad I plan on going to either Texas, Cali, or New York for law school. I too am getting cold feet before even popping the question. I'd rather wait till after I grad from law school to get married. Figure, my fellow lawyers will be able to give better gifts, she can get a nicer ring, more money for the reception and hold off the penis funeral for a few years. Of course she doesn't want to wait... Anyways congrats and good luck with the engagement.

Matt-

Archived