Cultivated Reef

tried to order a custom tank..all I got was grief!

nynex

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats funny because its the exact same customer service I received when I tried to order a tank from them. I had priced out a nice low-iron glass tank and had asked them politely to add an overflow to it. They say "Ok, thats $75 extra." I'm thinking, WTF, thats outrageous, but I go along with it. Then they tell me it'll be a glass overflow. Who the hell wants a transparent overflow? I voice my concerns, and they say they can wrap it in acrylic, which will be another $50. I let them know that I think that price is unfair and they tell me that they don't want my business and hung up the phone.

That tank started at like $120 and by the time they had finished adding the overflow and 3 holes I wanted drilled the total was upwards of $500 without any shipping costs included.

So instead I got a local acrylic expert (who only builds aquariums) to build me a really nice 75 gallon tank for $400 (including an external overflow, which GC wouldn't do).

I do my best to discourage anyone who will listen from buying from GC. Caveat emptor

Edit: Because I fail at grammar.

Thank you for this thread!!! I was also planning on getting one of their tanks. The site looks very legit. I would have never guessed they were this horrible. Good lookin' out.

I called GC about a month ago because I was interested in getting a custom sized trimless tank built and although the guy I talked to on the phone seemed alright to me, the pricing was a little ridiculous. The tank prices aren't too bad, but he nails you on all the little extras and then he really nails you on shipping. I could understand their shipping prices if they shipped via a carrier when your order is complete...But you have to wait until their truck is going to be in your area and then go meet the truck! And they still charge you big for shipping even though you're just taking up a spot on their truck that is already going there!

Anyhow, he quoted me just over $700 for the tank I wanted with no overflow installed and 3 holes drilled (delivered). I thanked him for his time, went and had my own glass cut, and built it myself. The tank blows away any GC tank I've seen and it cost me right around $275 including all the parts needed for me to build the overflow and plumb in a closed loop.

Thank you GC...I'm glad you steered me in the right direction ;)

Here's a shot of the tank I built

dsc04638.jpg

smcnally thats really cool. I wish I could build my own. Im very into the DIY stuff.

But I live in a condo right now and have no place to set up shop. Im hoping to get a

house soon with a nice big garage I can turn into a workshop.

VicSkimmr I hear ya. Its the most poorly ran company ive ever seen. I could see

if they were some huge corporation that just didnt care about the customer and made millions

anyway. But this is not. From what I see they are a mom and pop operation with a few

employees. For the life of me I cant understand why in the world would they treat their

customers badly? If they took a little time to construct the tanks properly, have some

quality control, and bend a little bit on their extras pricing, instead of trying to nickel and

dime the customer to death..and have a little pride in their craftsmanship. They would

most likely have positive business, instead of all this negative press. But from what ive heard from

peeple who met Tom (owner), I guess he shows up at the tradeshows with dirty overalls on, has

a big beard looking like a character from the Andy Griffith show. Chewin a piece of straw. His wife

sounds like someone who be on Springer. So it kinda gives me the idea that these people have no clue

how to run a business or the education in marketing that it takes to know how to market your product

and most importantly make the customer happy.

Speaking of which that B**ch beth (owners wife) said to me" We have 1000's of tank orders

everyday and we dont have time to argue over a No Nothing little tank that you have now

turned into a big project for us!!!!!" If its such a big project they shouldnt advertise on their

website that they make custom tanks!

smcnally thats really cool. I wish I could build my own. Im very into the DIY stuff.

But I live in a condo right now and have no place to set up shop. Im hoping to get a

house soon with a nice big garage I can turn into a workshop.

I live in a condo too...I built my setup in my buddies basement :D

Yep..you are so right!!! Its funny cause Im always telling people when

they try to cut corners and go cheap...That you only get what you pay for!!!

Well I guess I should have taken some of my own advice...lol

Its expensive to be cheap . Take it from an expert. When I first started out in this hobby. I bought cheap heater-filter, "live" rock ,etc thinking all the same in long run I bought the best as the junk had to be replaced.

Pay more money buy from reputable place with good history . I hope Paypal helps you out .

Paypal is useless when it comes to get your money back !

PayPal is good in some cases and in some they simply cant get your money back.

About 10 years ago I ordered live rock from a place off the Caiman islands (I know right there I messed up) .

It was uncured Atlantic live rock which was what I was looking for only $1.50 a lb for great looking rock (well great looking in the ad)

Well either way I got 50lbs of BACKYARD regular rock not to mention extra for overnight shipping . Paypal did all they could but they couldnt get the money back infact company closed up month later .

I learned that its EXPENSIVE to be cheap and best to buy from reputable place even if more money.

in his case co is in America thus I think he will get his money back unless company closes up which I doubt.

Its expensive to be cheap . Take it from an expert. When I first started out in this hobby. I bought cheap heater-filter, "live" rock ,etc thinking all the same in long run I bought the best as the junk had to be replaced.

Pay more money buy from reputable place with good history . I hope Paypal helps you out .

Sounds like my Odyssea PC fixture purchase, can you say "smoke on the water"? The one time I jump on a deal without looking through forums first and I end up with a light that fumigates mosquitoes.

I think Mr. Tom should know that a link to this thread has made it into the planted tank world as well (credit to another member here). Many more educated ones on that side of the "pond" now, and growing.

Im originally from Michigan, so I went over to michiganreefers.com and I thought

I would post my story on there. Besides here Ive spread the word on reef central,

reef.org, reefland.com, nanotank.com...ect.. So I thought I would go over there too.

Just like here almost every site I posted on, There were quite a few people who

posted that they had similar experiences with glasscages as I did and like here, most

agreed they are a bad tank maker. Well not at michiganreefers. Ive never got such a

negative response of people saying how they liked glasscages and they were mad I

was posting on there...bashing glasscages. ...I couldnt believe it!

I posted on there, that those people need to go over to Reef Central and Nano reef

and read all the horror storys that people have had with this company.

Here im only trying to share my experience and I get ridiculed for it over there.

Geeeeezzzzzzz

In the natural world, they say you have to be smart or strong. I guess with fish tanks you have to be smart or rich. Just let them keep ordering from glasscages. It's their money, and if they're not smart enough to realize a trend, then forget it because they've gotta be rich enough to afford their mistakes.

everlasting

I think they cater to those who have loads of money and don't care about spec tanks. In any case, they should stop taking custom orders from individual customers if they are so busy making 1000 tanks a day.

With so many capable DIYers in this hobby, now why can't some of you step up and set up shop and beat the crap outta GC dot com?

FLcracker94

wow! They are rude! I would NEVER buy from them!

I baught my 90ga from all glass aquariums. They are a great company (I think their a company lol) The only problem I had, was they gave me a center drilled tank, instead of cornered like I asked. And they gave me the wrong canopy. I'm not mad though cause it was probebly the stores mistake on the order, and thought I was getting those. (instead of cornered and the other canopy)

You should send this to Opra! lol

no, but seriously, that is rude, you should keep fighting for your money back (unless you got it back, only read 1st page)

Ok finally I took some pics of this monstrosity...

Here is the tank on a 29 gal biocube stand..Doesnt look too bad...Notice the unfinished overflow...

944813917_cf78ab37d1.jpg

Lets look a little closer...whats this? A huge scuff mark!!

944813731_aeb0c6e5e3.jpg

oh this is nice...they rounded one end and not the other..

944813703_27688b6840.jpg

this is has to be the worst looking baffles ive ever seen!!

944813673_3536e3ea46.jpg

Another big scratch on the euro brace!!

944813831_e285f77601.jpg

Nice glue job here guys...geezzz could it be more sloppy!!!!

944813775_143aa846e5.jpg

send these to BBB, and the company too (GC), so they can see what a crapy job they did.

wait a sec....IS THERE NO PLACE TO PUT A POWERHEAD????!?!?!?! lol wow....

Damn dude...sorry to hear about that.

Nothing makes me madder than doing a bunch of work, effort, research, picking a product, and then getting screwed in the deal.

PS - Nice wiener. ;)

A buddy of mine picked up a 90 gallon custom made rimless tank from them awhile back. He was happy about the craftsmanship. After about 3 months of usage, the front panel popped off on him. Needless to say he was ticked off.

Due to this incidence and others that I've read, GC was the last place that I would order from. I ordered my starfire from Miracles in Glass in Toronto instead.

PayPal is good in some cases and in some they simply cant get your money back.

About 10 years ago I ordered live rock from a place off the Caiman islands (I know right there I messed up) .

It was uncured Atlantic live rock which was what I was looking for only $1.50 a lb for great looking rock (well great looking in the ad)

Well either way I got 50lbs of BACKYARD regular rock not to mention extra for overnight shipping . Paypal did all they could but they couldnt get the money back infact company closed up month later .

I learned that its EXPENSIVE to be cheap and best to buy from reputable place even if more money.

in his case co is in America thus I think he will get his money back unless company closes up which I doubt.

The way I look at it, they charge you money for every transactions so why is it that when you don't get your item or when the item sold is not what you expected they can't give you back your money from THEIR pocket and deal with the person on their own time. Because if all they do is transfer money from one account to another we can all do that can't we. I'd like to use paypal as a safety net but really there isn't any because if the other person that ripped you off closes their account with them then that's it... no going any further ... WTF ? Paypal is USELESS !!!

No you are mistaken.

You are talking about when people have a paypal account and send

money back and forth.

Glasscages doesnt have a paypal account. I paid them using my

Paypal Debt Card. So therefore I can do a Charge Back just like

when you use a credit card.

Paypal already told me they can refund my full amount once all the

paperwork goes through.

Archived