Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

tried to order a custom tank..all I got was grief!

nynex

I was curious how many other people have had a bad experience with this

company glasscages.com? Ive never experienced such a nightmare then

what this company gave me!!!

I ordered a custom 20x20x12 acrylic nano cube from them 2 weeks ago. I have a

beautiful mated pair of Dragon Faced pipe fish that I wanted a tank for.

I was very specific about how I wanted the tank made. Their website makes the company

look as if they specialize in custom made aquariums. I called to order my tank and

the first person I spoke to had no clue about prices on anything. So then I called the

next day and this person didnt know either and said I had to email the owner Tom.

So I emailed the owner 5 times within 5 days and never heard from him. So finally

that friday a woman name Beth called me to take my order. The website has the

tank price at $50 and no custom prices at all on the site. They also make you

believe its better to pick up your tank at one of the many trade shows they do, rather

then pay for shipping. Well the site doesnt inform you its an $85 sur charge for them

to bring your tank to a show. This is understandable if its a 300 gallon tank. But for a

small tank thats highway robbery..

Anyway I was a little put out by this, seeing that there was a tradeshow they were doing

the following week here in Orlando. So I ended up telling them to UPS it to me..which was

only $40. Now I emailed the design plans to them and began to explain how I wanted the

tank made. All I wanted was a black acrylic wall put 3 inches from the back wall as well as

2 baffles in the back making 3 chambers. One for the overflow,refugium, and return pump.

I figured this would be a super easy for them..seeing that this company supposedly specializes

in custom aquariums. This woman Beth acted like I was asking for the world. First she argued

with me and tried to make it sound like it was a big deal to do this. She also told me there was

an $85 charge for the wall and baffles. She said " Im taking a no nothing tank and turning into

a big project for them!!! I was very confused by this?? I said I though $85 was high for that

and she started screaming at me telling me that to glue those 3 pieces into the tank was a huge

ordeal. I almost laughed at her. I also see on there site that they make custom tops for their

tanks..and when I asked to add one to my order...She told me NO...go to lowes and have them

cut you a piece of acrylic to put on the top.

I was so blow away at how rude this woman was...I almost didnt order the tank! But I had seen

my friends 190 gal that they made and it was really nice. So I thought I would just ignore this

rude employee and order the tank anyway. Also I called back the following monday to order

the tank and I wanted to ask a few more questions about the order. This same woman Beth said

"Look I dont have time for you! Do you want to order this or not?? How bout we just do this on

another day!!!" ....I got really angry and said I want to order this Now!!! So then she took the

order.

I received the tank a week later. I was not happy. To look at the tank from a distance on the

stand, it looked really nice. But to look at closely, the craftsmanship was shotty at best. They

used the wrong acrylic glue...and the seams had tons of bubbles. The eurobracing had 4 super

deep scratches in it. The black false wall had a huge scuff mark across it. and the overflow

was not made the way I asked for it. Which really puts me out, cause i made sure the overflow

was clearly explained in the tank design. The front panel has 4 or 5 small scratches in it. The

refugium outer wall and inner wall both had scuffs and scratches on it..

So I called and asked to talk to the owner. He was not there as usual. So this same woman Beth

gets on the phone and I try to explain to her what was wrong. She cuts me off and says" Look

you send the tank back and we will refund your money!" I said I dont want that. I want a

replacement tank! She says " NO we dont do that! If you are gonna nit pick everything to death..

We dont have the time to keep sending you tanks that you wont be happy with!. I said what are

you talking about?? You sent me a tank that has damage and was not made to my specs. I would

like another one and I will send this one back. I already made a stand and canopy for this tank.

She then got extremely rude and said " We dont need your business!..we get thousands of tank

orders and everyone is always happy!.. Shop somewhere else!! We will refund your money minus

shipping and you have you pay to ship the tank back...I started to say is that fare I have to pay

return shipping?? and she hung up on me!!!!!

This company was the rudest ive ever delt with and I would never deal with them again and

would not recommend anyone else buy tanks from them.

Has anyone else had problems with them?? I would like to know...

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like add that Ive filed a chargeback dispute with paypal to get my full

amount back..Im also calling the better business bureau on them too...

There are threads on different reefing forums that have feedback on glasscages. Almost all reviews are negative. I have probably only come across about 2 that are neutral to a bit positive. Check reefcentral, I remember there being a thread about glasscages on there.

neanderthalman

heh. I knew damn well it was glasscages before even clicking the thread. Sucks about your experiences. Hopefully your posting will prevent someone else from going through the same thing in the future.

This does clearly highlight why it is so important to do some research on a company before giving them a large wad of cash. A simple search on NR for glasscages could have saved you a lot of trouble.

Well a friend of mine had just ordered a 190 gal glass tank from them.

He posts in the Orca Orlando thread on Reef Central. Anyway I have to

say his tank was really nice and he said the company was super nice to

him.

So I kinda based it on that....I guess i should have did more research!!!

yeah ive said this once and ill constantly say it

the WORST tank company out there

i got a tank from them at a show and all i can say is their tank craftsmanship is mediocre at best

i got a 33L and it leaked and there was silicon all over the place

if you want quality, then spend the extra money and get it done right the first time around

Yep..you are so right!!! Its funny cause Im always telling people when

they try to cut corners and go cheap...That you only get what you pay for!!!

Well I guess I should have taken some of my own advice...lol

*****UPDATE*****

Today I called the Owner Tom. I tried to express to him my shear disappointment in the tank I

received and the level of customer service I had received. I told him how rude this woman Beth

was to me through the whole ordering process...He cut me off and yelled " Hey!!!! Thats my Wife!!!,

Shes not rude and she was super nice to you!!!" I said No tom she was not nice to me. On top of

which you sent me a damaged tank..I want a replacement. Ive already made a stand, top, lights

ect...for this size tank and I have livestock waiting to go into it....He said " I dont want your business

you idiot!!! ...Send the tank back and we will give you a partial refund!!!! and he slammed the phone

in my ear.

So ive called paypal and im getting them to charge back my full amount...Ive never in my life delt

with a company that was as rude and unprofessional as glasscages.

Ho Boy. Of course it it was me, I'd have stopped the deal the first time they made any negative noises about what I wanted.

I'm so glad I make my own tanks, then it's "N-N-N-N-N-N-N-N-N-o Body's Fault But Mine" if I don't like it.

Please don't be ####ed that I paraphrased you Robert Plant.

I dont understand why you would continue to insist upon ordering from them after they treated you that way on the phone? Nice tank or not - without customer service you were taking a huge risk and should have realized that. We're not even talking about a glass tank here. Soooo many companies could have made you a custom acrylic tank that size with great quality AND great service.

I explained in my story that the reason I continued the order. Was because I had

seen my friends 190 gal and I thought it was nice. But you are very right. Without

good customer service what do you have? This woman Beth was the owners wife

no less and she was extremely rude.

Well, I'm glad you posted this, I was about to order a oak stand from them.....

I guess money talks Bullshyt walks, once they see they are losing orders maybe they will stop this crap. And treat you better.

wow....sounds like a hardware store here in philly....cranky service and overpriced......

u could have went to a acrylic shop and have them make u a box with the false wall and have a better time...

Well they just lost my business I finally convinced the wife in letting me set up another tank and was looking at one of there rimless. Not anymore. Maybe I will email them telling them how they lost my business because of the way they have treated there customers.

I bought a stock acrylic 65 gallon tank from them and it's a decent tank but I wouldn't buy from them again.

Have a LFS order a Lee Mar tank for you. Quality is second to none. I'm not sure if they do acrylic but I have two of their glass tanks and couldn't be happier. My 56 is a custom all in one and they built it perfectly from my horrible drawing!

post-17614-1185572178_thumb.jpg

Well they just lost my business I finally convinced the wife in letting me set up another tank and was looking at one of there rimless. Not anymore. Maybe I will email them telling them how they lost my business because of the way they have treated there customers.

they won't care. plenty of people are willing to take the risk and deal with the lack of customer service because they can't get custom tanks for that price anywhere else. it's a shame really that no other manufacturer in the US offers an affordable solution like they do BUT with good service to go with it. they would run GC out of business easily.

i never deel with family run buisinesses just because of stuff like that.the owner will side with family over the customer every time.i just had the same problem at a family restaurant with a waitress that turned out to be a relative of the owners.and the prices are all marked up to pay for his drug addict kids that work there and need partying money.just wait till the owner of that aquarium companies kids are old enough to start working for dad and start making reel bad tanks.he'll be like,my son,i mean the guy did a great job on your tank.the customer never seems to be right when it comes to alot of family run buisinesses.

*******UPDATE****

I just discovered another thing wrong with the tank. I cant believe I didnt notice this

when I unpacked it. Only 3 sides are rounded off. The back left side is square!!!!

I cant believe how poorly this tank was constructed. My 12 year old niece could have

put this thing together better then these morons from glasscages.

We need to let as many people as possible know not to do business with these idiots.

I will post photos tonight....

Archived