Cultivated Reef

3 gall picotope

Joseph14

Nano#9: yea i went with the dual because its 18 more Watts than the single and it didnt hurt to upgrade.

I received my cheato from wildernesstank today, and im really hoping that my params clear up by next week.

next week i should be receiving some zoanthids that i ordered from

Nano-paul, so i should have some more pics up by next wednesday.

as for right now, the temperature fluctuations have stopped, the tank is 82 degress with the lights on. and goes no less than 78 when they are off.

well thats it for now. any comments or questions are welcome...:lol: thanks.

-Joseph

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update!!!

:lol:

i went out like around 5:30 and got an API test kit, and a Instant Ocean hydrometer.

also 5 lbs of LR and a Red Leg hermit.

I added the LR and then did a 35% water change

then added the hermit crab after 30 minuets.

i tested the water about 20 minuets ago and heres what i got:

pH : 8.0

Amonia : .50

No3 : 0ppm

No2 : oppm

Specific Gravity : 1. 23

Temp : 80

Now I just need to raise my pH and lower my amonia and everything should be fine...

Heres my new aquascape...

Picture036.jpg

Picture038.jpg

-Joseph

avalanche1201

its a nice aquascape but from the looks of it ur cycle will be starting soon....However, I may be wrong though b/c ive got the API test kit and the ammonia never seems to drop below .25-.5 on that thing.

But im looken the scape, keep it up man

thanks Avalance1201, i didnt want to add too much rock, but i didnt want to add to little. i think this is just right.

I dont think i will have a long Cycle. the LR was only out of water for 5 min and was in a bag with wet newspaper.

all the water that is in there has come from a 3+ year running 30 Gall. Hex. LS was bought about 3 hours after put on the shelf.

Running an AC30 Modded Funge W/Lr,LS,Cheato.( went to petsmart today

to get an AC70 and when i got opened it the Intake pipe was broken, so i

ordered another one and also an AC50 impreller. so it should be up and running by monday.)

and the stock filter running with a carbon insert.

the sand bed was a little dirty before i took that pic ^ but my hermit crab took care of that. :D

like ive said ive got an order coming next week of some corals. and if the tank is not ready then they are going into a 2.5 gall holding tank for the time being.

hopefully it will be ready. all i really need to do is bring up my pH, and i should be good.

okay, had some trouble today, power went out for about an hour and now my AC30 wont come back on. its been plugged in for about 30 min and its not running, any suggestions? i only have the stock filter with cheato running right now. need help ASAP.

how do i get it restarted?

tried that, even switched with another motor that i ordered a couple of years back and never used. i think its the propeller, i have another one on order right now as well as an intake for my AC70 to go on the picotope when fixed, and modded.

I am not familiar with the exact filter / motor, but if it is like a PH motor this is all you need to do. Take out the impeller assembly and make sure the ittle bearing areas on both ends are clean and that the shaft is free spinning. If not, try just running water on it while giving it a spin. That should free it up. Then just clean out the little well it sits in and put everything back together. I am using 25 year old powerheads and power filters that still have oroginal guts on some of my tanks. This is all they ever need.

Great looking start BTW.

Mitch

okay got another algea bloom yesterday, so im going to either order a cuc or go buy them at petco. the hermits/snails ive bought from there are alot better off when i get them home that they where at the store.

so, that should take care of the algea,

well thanks.

-Joseph

UPDATE!!!!

Inhabitants

3 blue leg hermit crabs (1 in funge)

1 Scarlet Reef Hermit

1 Scooter Blenny 1"

Specs

4 Lbs LR

3 Lbs LS

Equipment

Filtration

AC70 funge mod w/ AC50 impreller

Stock filter with Carbon

Light

Dual 36W 12" 24 hour light system w/moonlight.

13W 50/50 over funge

FTS

Picture040.jpg

Left Side Shot

Picture041.jpg

Funge

Picture047.jpg

Filters

Picture042.jpg

My Scooter Blenny

Picture048.jpg

i bought some frags from Nano-Paul and they should be here next week, im not sure what im getting but i know im getting some beautiful zoanthid frags. going to look for a nice teal ricordea and some GSP with neon polyps.

Cool beans :)

Definitely get a ricordea, lol they're beautiful. I just got one a couple of days ago and Im still excited about it :D

I don't know much about GSP other than it grows like a weed and stings other corals... lol but to each his own. Cant wait to see more pics!

Great job!

yea, theres pretty good flow thruough the whole tank even behind the rockwork, i set the rockwork so that there would be one spot not visible from the front but visible from the side, that way there are 2 sides that offer equal viewing pleasure. my blenny has ben swiming abuot the sand eating my coepods. and my hermits are taking care of my algea. lol

cant wait to get some corals in here. :happy:

i want some GSP cuz there are high flow areas and i want them to wave with the current.

thanks

-Joseph

UPDATE!!!

well I received my frags from nano-paul this morning and after letting them float for about an hour and a half i poked a few holes in the bags with a toothpick to acclimate them, they are placed as is for now, but will be arranged when theyve been in for a while.

thy arent all open but some even opened while still in the bags!

great shipping, and very nice colors, expecially the oranges...

will post pics up later when they fully open up...

Picture047-1.jpg

Picture046.jpg

Here are some pics of the frags:

not really sure what this color morph is called, but im going to look it up

Picture048-1.jpg

Here are the Oranges,(dont know real name,)

Orange.jpg

An here are some with yellow mouths

untitled.jpg

i know theres a website to help identify zoanthids, can anyone give me the link? thanks

Ill post a FTS tomorrow when im done with homework, been really busy this first week,

ttyl

-Joseph

Archived